• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent maybe but IMO

Maloney > McGeady

Naismith > Hendricks

McLean < Anya

Brown > Gibson

Morrison > Meyler

Do you guys genuinely think this man for man, "our team on paper is better than yours" comparisons will make a jot of difference?

This is going to play out like a mid-table premiership game, where as we all know, any result is possible. Pound for pound there's not much between the teams and believe nobody who says they can actually call this one.

Do you guys genuinely think this man for man, "our team on paper is better than yours" comparisons will make a jot of difference?

This is going to play out like a mid-table premiership game, where as we all know, any result is possible. Pound for pound there's not much between the teams and believe nobody who says they can actually call this one.

i think we will win 2-0 quite comfortably

Nah we are a cavalier international team these days, we play to a greater level than the sum of our parts.

Therefore, we will win against the international equivalent of Crystal Palace.

Sounds a bit like the Irish team in fairness.

The cavalier approach might work against teams who attack in numbers (and are expected to do so) but you'll be expected to break Ireland down, so less emphasis and these sudden counter attacks.

Your defence is your achilles heel. We'll always have a chance if there's a goal in it.

Never believed it when people were saying this when the draw was made, but hey ho, 90th minute injury, Everton asses him and let him travel (which EPL clubs never do if theres anything serious to it) then he gets there and bottles it the day before, good lad. I like him tbh hes not a wee rat like McGeady, unfortunately the booing wont affect him hes brainwashed. Least Broony only has to take one boy out now.

To be fair to McCarthy, I was at Everton's match at Sunderland (I watch a fair bit of Everton) and he was struggling in the last 5-10 minutes. When he went down, everyone assumed it was cramp, especially as he was able to get back on the line to make a clearance in the last seconds. It will be interesting if he's back in the Everton squad for the West Ham game on the 22nd.

Good news for us as he's been fantastic for Everton. Does a lot of untidy / "dirty" work if you like but does it very well. He and Robbie Keane, for me anyway, were the two Irish players to be most wary of. Whether he regrets the decision to play for them he only knows but him being out can only benefit us and allow Brown and Co to take hold in the middle of the park.

I'm sure wanderer mentioned this on another thread and I tend to agree with it - for some reason I don't think McCarthy was all that bothered about international football as a youngster and was possibly badly advised by some folk and for the grief it's caused he probably wishes he'd never bothered with ROI. I also have a suspision he realised just how Scottish he was when he ventured down to England. Then there were rumours prior to our game with NI in Dublin 2011 that he wanted to jump back - I suspect he got cold feet in the end and possibly thought he was letting the Irish down. This is my theory anyway. Msm have been baws deep into this for the past couple of weeks winding aw kent up about it - nothing can be done anymore about it, let us concentrate on 3 points and nothing more

Of course people will feel angry towards McGeady and McCarthy but you also need to acknowledge that the SFA should take some blame or who was choosing squads for not getting them involved in the international set-up at youth level and upwards. That didn't happen and Ireland moved in and they were charmed away and made to feel wanted. Now of course we'd all say but they are Scottish but remember they are also pro footballers with ambition and they were caught when vulnerable and were craving international football when it never looked like coming with Scotland so they took up Ireland's offer.

Fair comment.

After the results against Wales in the last campaign I would guard against taking a win as granted. Plenty of folk on here expected us to beat the Welsh - because they "only" had Gareth Bale - but they turned us over twice. While the Irish don't have anyone of Bale's calibre, in Keane and McGeady they do have players capable of producing something out of nothing. I expect it to be close a game on Friday and one goal might be enough to win it.

That said, McCarthy being out is good news for Scotland. The boy is class.

Of course people will feel angry towards McGeady and McCarthy but you also need to acknowledge that the SFA should take some blame or who was choosing squads for not getting them involved in the international set-up at youth level and upwards. That didn't happen and Ireland moved in and they were charmed away and made to feel wanted. Now of course we'd all say but they are Scottish but remember they are also pro footballers with ambition and they were caught when vulnerable and were craving international football when it never looked like coming with Scotland so they took up Ireland's offer.

Don't agree. If they decided to play for Ireland as 15 year olds then I suspect they never wanted to play for us. To say it looked like it was never coming at that age is ridiculous.

Don't agree. If they decided to play for Ireland as 15 year olds then I suspect they never wanted to play for us. To say it looked like it was never coming at that age is ridiculous.

Okay and McGeady's situation it would seem was created by ludicrous rules within Scottish Schools and Queens Park Football Club which didn't allow him to play for Scotland Schools because he did not play in his school team. It was then that Ireland moved in with Pat Bonner at Celtic courting him and getting him to play for Ireland Schools teams. As for McCarthy well he went for Ireland but he has said if Scotland had come calling first he would have opted for Scotland. But point taken as he was around 17 at the time but still surely someone at the SFA and at youth levels should have had him involved before it got to that stage?

Okay and McGeady's situation it would seem was created by ludicrous rules within Scottish Schools and Queens Park Football Club which didn't allow him to play for Scotland Schools because he did not play in his school team. It was then that Ireland moved in with Pat Bonner at Celtic courting him and getting him to play for Ireland Schools teams. As for McCarthy well he went for Ireland but he has said if Scotland had come calling first he would have opted for Scotland. But point taken as he was around 17 at the time but still surely someone at the SFA and at youth levels should have had him involved before it got to that stage?

I suspect McGeady would have represented Ireland regardless but we'll never know if the school situation could have reversed that decision.

And maybe McCarthy would have played for us if the SFA selected him at 15 but you can't have someone at that age dictating to be picked. And as a result picking another country.

I suspect we're better off without them

I suspect McGeady would have represented Ireland regardless but we'll never know if the school situation could have reversed that decision.

And maybe McCarthy would have played for us if the SFA selected him at 15 but you can't have someone at that age dictating to be picked. And as a result picking another country.

I suspect we're better off without them

You're right there, I'd say.

Nosense,Hendricks a qauility up anf coming player,Brysons a middle aged journey man.

28 and essentially played for two teams? Winning Derby's player of the year twice and making the championship team of the year 2014. Doesn't sound like a journeyman player even if he might not be intenational quality.

Nosense,Hendricks a qauility up anf coming player,Brysons a middle aged journey man.

Bryson is not a journeyman as has only had two clubs.

Evidently, as well Bryson has more of an eye for goal than Hendricks with a goal of around every five games whilst Hendricks has a goal every seven or so games. And as has been pointed out he is deemed by Derby to have been their player of the year (when Hendricks has been on their books at the same time) plus has made the Championship of the year team last season. Nothing there to suggest Hendricks is better.

You're right there, I'd say.

All thats wrong with the West Coast McGeady is the perfect example. Weegie dad saying 'weve always considered ourselves Irish' - sectarian nonsense, hope the wee wenk goes off in a stretcher

ETA: gladly I think its died down a good bit and now theres only a small small minority like that.

Edited by 1320lichtie

Agreed, But to be fair you are on a Scottish forum, I am sure on Irish forums you guys are confident and believe you have the better players. We are allowed to be biased. Nobody can judge player for player but it is where both Gordon Strachan and MON are good at, they get the best out of players and compete with seemingly better teams. Will be a good game and i suspect an easy win for the Scots.. not that i'm biased ;)

Bryson is not a journeyman as has only had two clubs.

Evidently, as well Bryson has more of an eye for goal than Hendricks with a goal of around every five games whilst Hendricks has a goal every seven or so games. And as has been pointed out he is deemed by Derby to have been their player of the year (when Hendricks has been on their books at the same time) plus has made the Championship of the year team last season. Nothing there to suggest Hendricks is better.

Didn't say he was better, but he most likely will go on to have a better career. And is probably an improvement on Whelan. McCarthy isn't too much of a loss,as while he is a top,top player at club level he doesnt play the same posistion,or play as well for his country.

Didn't say he was better, but he most likely will go on to have a better career. And is probably an improvement on Whelan. McCarthy isn't too much of a loss,as while he is a top,top player at club level he doesnt play the same posistion,or play as well for his country.

Probably cause he aint ever played for them