Managers We Nearly Had - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Managers We Nearly Had

ErsatzThistle

Read recently that in 1986 with Ferguson's imminent departure from the national set up, the SFA sounded out Billy McNeill for the job, and he was keen to take it. Jim McClean was also considered. However as we all know, Andy Roxburgh got the job in the end.

Were there any other managers that nearly took charge of our national team in years gone past ? Any particularly wacky names come up ?

Have heard Brian Clough was once also briefly linked with Scotland but that surely must be a wind up ? :shocked:

Seem to recall that after Vogts left, some guy called Strachan had an unsuccessful interview for the job. Now just whatever happened to him .........

There was a press cutting on line that was released after Ferguson left that was basically a who's who's of UK managers (and Andy Roxburgh.....) and they had Billy McNeill as the clear favorite (they highlighted Jim McLeans run in's with the SFA as a black mark against his name).

Remember the press screaming for Dalgleish or Souness when Brown got the job.

Craig Brown when he stepped down in 2001 pushed Willie Miller as his replacement..... David Taylor set his sights high and went to Fergie, who said he was not interested, but recommended Vogst.

I do not think Strachan was ready for the job in 2005, and come to accept that Smith getting it was a probably for the best.

Recall Nevio Scala name coming up and being a interesting one.

Really, after Eck its probably a case that the best of two bad lots of options got the job, before finally getting it right with Strachan.

One I always felt was the best one that got away was Lars Lagerbaak.

Clough did once (according to media reports) say the job interested him, but he also applied for the Ireland job round about the same time (excuse to say GIRUY at the FA for knocking him back?)

Edited by wanderer

Seem to recall that after Vogts left, some guy called Strachan had an unsuccessful interview for the job. Now just whatever happened to him .........

I remember a friendly against Sweden (Easter Road?) just after Vogts had gone and we'd yet to appoint anyone, and the entire crowd started singing "one Gordon Strachan" when we were 3 or 4 nil down. However...

I do not think Strachan was ready for the job in 2005, and come to accept that Smith getting it was a probably for the best.

A rare case of the SFA getting it completely right. At the time I would have gone for Strachan, but Smith definitely proved to be the right call.

A rare case of the SFA getting it completely right. At the time I would have gone for Strachan, but Smith definitely proved to be the right call.

At the time I wanted Strachan all the way, and Smith nowhere near the job.... Strachan also wanted more than just the top job, but actually running things from U15 level up to full level (basically doing Mark Wottes job) and had long term goals.

I think the reports were Strachan had told the SFA to forget about WC2006 and Euro 2008, with a complete fresh slate and aim for WC 2010 when we would start to qualify.... Smith promised to have a go for WC2006, but Euro 2008 was his goal.

Think with Strachan going to Celtic and being successful there domestically and in Europe, not only did it put him in good position for the Scotland job, it also gave him something from his club career that he could look back on (and thus not have another Eck situation).

This infuriates me to this day. OK, I'm very happy we have Strachan now, but if feckin Levein nearly got us to a play-off, think what Lagerbeck could have done? :banghead:

The 'we tried a foreign manager and it didn't work' excuse is simply rubbish as well. Lagerbeck had (has) years of experience and an excellent record of qualifying for tournaments; just look at what he's doing now with Iceland ffs :angry:

The only other possible reason for not even considering Lagerbeck is that having success in managing your own national team doesn't necessarily mean you'll succeed abroad - Vogts of course being a glaring example. However, Lagerbeck has always had huge respect as a manager, both from supporters and within the game. Vogts, on the other hand, was never rated even after winning Euro 96. As a German friend said to me just after he was appointed: "Anyone could have won it with that team. The man is a joke."

Edited by ZoltanBuchan

This infuriates me to this day. OK, I'm very happy we have Strachan now, but if feckin Levein nearly got us to a play-off, think what Lagerbeck could have done? :banghead:

The 'we tried a foreign manager and it didn't work' excuse is simply rubbish as well. Lagerbeck had (has) years of experience and an excellent record of qualifying for tournaments; just look at what he's doing now with Iceland ffs :angry:

Yeah, almost like the SFA got their fingers burnt once and was enough to put them off the idea completely.

I remember being completely swept away in the wave of excitement when Vogts came through the door and thinking that we would be about to start something good (think we took him just by the name, rather than his actual track record).

As you said, was only when I got to know some Germans that I came to understand what a joke he was in his own country.

I always wonder what would have happened if Smith hadn't gone back to Rangers and he stayed on., I think he had had enough of League fitba and was ready for International, same as Strachan just now.

Although Mc Leiish had a great run it was really short , the two that followed wernt really up for the job,

would Smith have stayed....

Very Happy Strachan is in place now, he wont leave for a club,

I always wonder what would have happened if Smith hadn't gone back to Rangers and he stayed on., I think he had had enough of League fitba and was ready for International, same as Strachan just now.

Although Mc Leiish had a great run it was really short , the two that followed wernt really up for the job,

would Smith have stayed....

Very Happy Strachan is in place now, he wont leave for a club,

Thing I always felt about Smith was he probably liked being in the job, but his heart was never truly in it as much as it should have been, and was always a case of he would stay as long as he was needed or until the Rangers came calling (whichever came first) Edited by wanderer

Mark McGhee was next in line if Burley didn't take the job!

2008 and 2010 it really was scraping the bottom of the barrel with us getting the best of a bad lot each time when it came to the final short list.....

2008 - Short list was something like Souness, McGhee, Burns, McAllister and Burley.... Souness was probably to much for the SFA to handle and would probably have done not much better that George, so Burley was the best of a bad lot.

2010 - again, something like Collins, Davis, Levein and McAllister.... again, a really poor selection with Levein again the stand out from a poor lot.

Will never understand why McAllister gets linked with the Scotland job (apparently next in line after McLeish). Done nothing as a manager to merit being linked with the Scotland job.

I have always suspected that the SFA know exactly who they want every time, but just going through the formalities of drawing up a short list of names for interviews, before naming the guy they want.

There was a press cutting on line that was released after Ferguson left that was basically a who's who's of UK managers (and Andy Roxburgh.....) and they had Billy McNeill as the clear favorite (they highlighted Jim McLeans run in's with the SFA as a black mark against his name).

Remember the press screaming for Dalgleish or Souness when Brown got the job.

Craig Brown when he stepped down in 2001 pushed Willie Miller as his replacement..... David Taylor set his sights high and went to Fergie, who said he was not interested, but recommended Vogst.

Recall Nevio Scala name coming up and being a interesting one.

Really, after Eck its probably a case that the best of two bad lots of options got the job, before finally getting it right with Strachan.

Clough did once (according to media reports) say the job interested him, but he also applied for the Ireland job round about the same time (excuse to say GIRUY at the FA for knocking him back?)

Completely agree on Lagerbaak.....have always championed his cause when the Ireland position became available - gets the best out of Nations who dont have large pools of players to choose from.

Morten Olsen was always someone who also I thought wud be a good bet

Yep thats true on Clough ...The F.A.I spoke to Clough back in 1985 when Jack Charlton ended up getting the position.

Bob Paisley had acknowledged he wanted the position as did most of the F.A.I board but due to some unknown reason Charlton ended up getting the position

Philippe Troussier

This guy was some chancer ...declared interest in the Ireland job twice along with everything else....and to this day Im delighted he was never hired by the F.A.I....wouldnt have ended in disaster

The Scottish fans should feel similar that he never got to manage ye

Gerard Houllier also said the job would interest him on a number of occasions.

Houllier was interested in any international job that came along, also declared his interest In the Ireland job back in 2005 and quite a few other International posts

Remember getting a fright just after McLeish left and Jim Jeffries was momentarily linked with the job :blink::blink:

Yep thats true on Clough ...The F.A.I spoke to Clough back in 1985 when Jack Charlton ended up getting the position.

My Dad met big Jack Charlton in 1986 before a Scotland game at the World Cup. Said he was an absolute gent that was happy to sign autographs and pose for pictures. He got a bit of stick from the TA obviously with him being an ex England player, ("you ken fine well that that baw wiz never across the line !") but he took it all in good spirits :P.

They met him again at the airport bar as they were coming back and he was happy to have a beer and a chat with everyone, the guys kept asking if he could phone Billy Bremner up long distance for them :lol:.

Think with Strachan going to Celtic and being successful there domestically and in Europe, not only did it put him in good position for the Scotland job

Spot on.

It's no coincidence that the 3 more successful managers of the last 5 had experience of winning trophies and managing in the Champions League whereas the two big failures had neither of them experiences on their CV.

Strachan wouldn't have done as well in 2005 as he is doing now.

• 3 years later...