Britains Greatest Pilot - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Britains Greatest Pilot

Anyone see this on bbc 2 last week ? - Eric "winkle" Brown born in Leith and aged 95, flew over 480 different aircraft types, was involved with interviewing various Nazis at war's end and was the worlds leading pilot on landing aircraft onto carriers.

A really interesting story.

• 3 years later...

Seen him on a couple of programmes, maybe a repeat?

He was a very brave man indeed. Saw the part where he described  testing a German jet fighter, the Messerschmitt Me 262 I think, an aircraft that had killed many German pilots before. 

He relished the challenge even though he hadn't flown anything like it before. 

You'll not see many the like him again, considering the rigorous testing they had not long after.

Couple of cracking things I remember about him.

He looped the loop in a spitfire under / over the Forth Bridge.

The yanks tried for years, decades, to get a pilot to break his record for number of landings on an aircraft carrier but they eventually gave up.

20 hours ago, antidote said:

He was a very brave man indeed. Saw the part where he described  testing a German jet fighter, the Messerschmitt Me 262 I think, an aircraft that had killed many German pilots before. 

Even more impressive flying the Komet rocket plane.

Flew nearly 500 different variants of aircraft, I'd be surprised if there's that many types of plane currently in military service the world over...

Thanks for the link Toepoke.   I managed to miss the programme each time it was on TV.   I'd just finished reading Wings on my Sleeve coincidentally.

I read that several times aircraft manufacturers would get into difficulty and ask Farnborough and hence Winkle to dig them out their hole.   Must have been pretty scary stepping into the DH.108 to replicate the fault that killed its previous test pilot, then having such a narrow escape too.   The 3rd and final prototype killed his successor too.

The number of deck landings is amazing when you consider attrition rates as well Biffer.   Even in operational service 38% of the RN's Sea Vixens were lost in accidents, killing 51 aircrew, and 51% of their Scimitars too.   (Plus he did a lot of simulated deck landings and catapult take-offs on land, and a load of undercarriageless landings on a matress.)

faa.jpg?w=767&h=1080

Scary Sea Vixen pic.   The wee helicopter's job is to fish the aircrew out the drink as required.