Memories Of Your First Scotland Game - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Memories Of Your First Scotland Game

kmcca5

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friendly v Holland in 94

Bryan Roy scored in a 1 nil defeat. Can't remember much part from getting lost in the car (something my Dad still denies) and getting a Burger King before the game! Priorities.

I remember that game. Did he not practically curl it in from the touchline? He was supposed to be the next big thing around then but all I can remember is a rather lackluster spell at Forest.

Friendly v Holland in 94

Bryan Roy scored in a 1 nil defeat. Can't remember much part from getting lost in the car (something my Dad still denies) and getting a Burger King before the game! Priorities.

That was my first game I think. Was it when they just reopened hampden as all seater?

That was my first game I think. Was it when they just reopened hampden as all seater?

Was that not maybe a bit later. I seem to remember being on the pitch at Hampden when at least one of the stands was missing (long story) and that would have been late 96/early 97.

*Edit, stand corrected, you're right. I must have been thinking of when they replaced the South Stand which seems to have been around 98.

Edited by Fairbairn

Never seen that before, cheers. Sent it to my old man who replied saying he was there, in the old North Stand...

:ok:

Pretty sure that's where I was too** & continued to do so when I was old enough to go on my own until switching to the West Stand when the new stadium was rebuilt.

** Down the front though as that's where all the kids went. Nobody stood with their parents in those days.

September 84. I was 16 and went with my friends. My Dad only took me to Rangers games.

We beat Yugoslavia 6-1. Just about floated home! I thought we were phenomenal and we were bound to win the next World Cup. ??

Was that not maybe a bit later. I seem to remember being on the pitch at Hampden when at least one of the stands was missing (long story) and that would have been late 96/early 97.

*Edit, stand corrected, you're right. I must have been thinking of when they replaced the South Stand which seems to have been around 98.

Was the first game with the South Stand not France in a friendly, seem to remember the paraded the World Cup. The Brian Roy game was definately after they had completed three sides of the ground.

(Match 551) 23rd March 1994 (Friendly match)

SCOTLAND - NETHERLANDS 0-1 (0-1)

Referee: Kim Milton Nielsen (Denmark)

Crowd: 36.809, Hampden Park, Glasgow

Goal: 0-1 Bryan Roy 23'

SCOTLAND: (Coach: Craig Brown/2)

Andrew Lewis Goram (29/Rangers) -

Stewart McKimmie (25/Aberdeen)

David Robertson (3/Rangers) -

Alan James McLaren (11/Heart of Midlothian)

Colin Hendry (4/Blackburn Rovers)

Craig William Levein (13/Heart of Midlothian) -

Stuart McCall (25/Rangers)

Paul Michael Lyons McStay (69/Celtic)

Gordon Scott Durie (26/Rangers)

Gary McAllister [c] (26/Leeds United)

Patrick Nevin (20/Tranmere Rovers)

Subs:

Thomas Boyd (20/Celtic) for Craig Levein (46 Minutes)

William McKinlay (2/Dundee United) for Paul McStay (46 Minutes)

John Angus Paul Collins (16/Celtic) for David Robertson (65 Minutes)

Eoin Jess (5/Aberdeen) for Patrick Nevin (68 Minutes)

NETHERLANDS: (Coach: Dick Advocaat)

Eduard de Goeij - Ulrich van Gobbel, Danny Blind, Frank de Boer, Rob Witschge - Wim Jonk,

Frank Rijkaard, Johannes Bosman (Aron Winter 46) - Gaston Taument (Marc Overmars 78),

Dennis Bergkamp (Hans Gillhaus 46), Bryan Roy.

First game was the 1989 rous cup match against England. Was in the family terracing in the north stand with my dad and remember meeting a few folk we knew from home. Went to the game all excited but left the game gutted at the result. Was only 12 at the time

First game I went to as an adult was the 1-0 victory over holland in 2003. Mates all had tickets but I couldn't get one for love nor money. That was until I got to work on the fir morn and a work mate came in and slapped 1 down in front of me. Cost me 50 quid but I didn't care as I was so excited. Loved the whole day from meeting up with my mates in glasgow to hijacking a bus to take a load on scots and Dutch to the park to the party in glasgow after

My first one was against Sweden at Ibrox, around 1992 I think.

Was also the last time I've gone on a supporters bus! We stopped at a pub outside of Glasgow so they could all get pished (I was only 12 so irn-bru for me!). We were then rushing to make the game on time, some nugget decided he was needing a pish and did so from his seat (I don't know if there was a toilet on the bus or not, I presume not). So not only did we then have a stream of urine running down the bus we also missed the national anthems and start of the match.

Vs Poland at Hampden in 1965. We lost 2-1. Billy McNeil scored but two late goals from Poland meant we were effectively out of 1966 finals in England.

A great victory followed against Italy (1-0 John Greig) at Hampden but we then lost 3-0 in Italy with only a squad of 14 players as I recall.

Wow - my uncle went to that game and claims he had never heard such a racket of boos and derision at the final whistle - before or since. As you said effectively knocked us out of the world cup.

And what a team - on paper - that looked as well.

I started going to Scotland games when I started work and went with work mates. We would start with a couple of pints in Perth, then head through in a hired minibus to a pub in Rutherglen. The Orleans Bar seems to ring a bell as the name of the pub we went to. We'd walk from there to the game and walk back for a couple more before heading back to Perth. First match was a zero zero game against Portugal, A quick search of the internet seems to suggest it was on 15 0ctober 1980 in a world cup qualification match.

I was a bit of a late bloomer. First game was a friendly vs Australia in 2000 that we lost 2-0. Don't remember too much other than that we were pish!

My son Jimmy had me up at 5.35am asking is it was time to go to the Scotland game yet... He is so excited It's brilliant. He is only 4 and a bit so hope he has a good time.

Got me to thinking what are your memories of your first Scotland game how old wereb you etc?

aged 10 in 2004, 0-0 draw v Slovenia.

Berti accepting a draw to save his job.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

Saturday the 15th of May 1976

Scotland 2 England 1 (Dalglish through Clemences legs )

In the north enclosure soaked to the skin.

On a bus from the Marine Hotel, Montrose. I was 13 years old and with my older brother. He cleared off to the pub and left me with a few younger lads to fend for ourselves. I got separated from them so was on my own to get back to the bus. I was petrified but found my way back.

On the way back, one of the other younger lads got lost in Perth. The driver wouldn't leave without him so we scoured the streets of Perth looking for this guy. A couple of hours later we found out that he decided to hitch it home. He got picked up by another supporters bus and was home while we were still in Perth.