Glasgow School of Art - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow School of Art

No coming back from this - looks like it's gone totally this time

How the fuck can it go on fire again and get to that state only 4 years after the last one

Surely not arson but that's what i'm thinking

22 minutes ago, Jon Cutler said:

O2 ABC a goner as well, 2 major fires in a short distance in a few months, coincidence or suspicious?

I started a new topic, which I'll delete but I mentioned this as well. The amount of fires in this city is farcical, it's now beyond the point of suspicion and reeks of sheer incompetence or worse.

Odd innit ? Huge (so far unexplained) fire and wee Fluffy gets a TV moment to show how cuddly and generous UK Govt is(just a couple of days after he looked an utter embarrassment at WM)

Anyhoo how are their promises of help after Grenfell coming along ?

From wings : "Glasgow School of Art according to Private Eye, declined to install sprinklers and fireproof material, but focused on the replacement of artefacts." Is that legal ?

Edited by mariokempes56

36 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

Odd innit ? Huge (so far unexplained) fire and wee Fluffy gets a TV moment to show how cuddly and generous UK Govt is(just a couple of days after he looked an utter embarrassment at WM)

Anyhoo how are their promises of help after Grenfell coming along ?

From wings : "Glasgow School of Art according to Private Eye, declined to install sprinklers and fireproof material, but focused on the replacement of artefacts." Is that legal ?

I wouldn't think that was legal as they'd have a duty of care to the people who visited and used the building.  Shocking if that's true.

Edited by Mindimoo

17 minutes ago, Mindimoo said:

I wouldn't think that was legal as they'd have a duty of care to the people who visited and used the building.  Shocking if that's true.

I don't think it is true.  I saw those tweets and they referred to the previous fire and allegations that sprinklers hadn't been fitted due to other new building works being prioritised.

No idea if sprinklers were fitted as part of the restoration but given that it wasn't complete I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a surprise if they hadn't been fitted yet or weren't operational. 

32 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Think the O2 ABC is gone as well :(

Was in it in February seeing Alvvays

Reports of it's demise may be premature thankfully

The O2 ABC and Campus were put up for sale in April

My conspiracy theory spider sense is working overtime

It is unlikely that the fire started outwith the School of Art as you would think the fire services would have gave that indication ...but still