Summer solstice. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Can't quite believe it's took me 50 odd years to figure out the best holiday to have is the summer solstice. Spent all that time 'celebrating' lots of made up festive times. So couple of days off celebrating those long summer nights. (Obviously the glorious recent weather may have influenced things somewhat). So I'll be be barbecuing and drinking, anything else I should be doing, what are your plans?

i usually take 2 weeks off in june

every 2 years you've got either a world cup or a euros to watch

I'll also go for a random drive and/or wild camp up north for a few days. Excellent driving roads at 4am.

It's also before all the wee bawbags are off for the summer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
35 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

So is this midsummer day or the first day of summer?  Meteorologists have me confused here...

Both. 

Some folk would say that midsummers day is the 24th June which could imply that summer only lasts a week. Sounds about right.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

So is this midsummer day or the first day of summer?  Meteorologists have me confused here...

The meteorological summer is 1st June - 31st August. It's the astronomers that get fussed about soltices and equinoxes. I prefer the June - August definition.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, Orraloon said:

Just to clarify. A solstice isn't a day, it's an exact point in time. This year it just happened to be today, at about 12 minutes ago. If you blinked you missed it.

Well despite the meterolgicical and astronomical debate I've had a rare old time.