Your World Cup memories - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your World Cup memories

Dunty

I was at Italia 90 and France 98 so some great memories. What also sticks in my mind is  Argentina 78 as we got our first colour TV in time for the Peru game. Also great memories of watching Spain 82 on TV as a youngster which for some reason is my all time favourite tournament. I was 12 by then and a complete football crazed loon. 

On 6/8/2018 at 2:14 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

First one I remember was Italia 90.

Can remember the Sweden and Brazil games but thankfully not the Costa Rica game. My dad went absolutely mental when Brazil scored the winner, still haven't seen him as angry to this day.

France 98 I was just a bit too young to travel myself and had to watch it at home. The buzz leading up to it was unreal. Can remember all 3 games clear as day, especially the Norway one.

Been to 40+ away games and never got a sniff of a major tournament. My dad has just recently retired and I'd love nothing better than going to a World Cup with him. I'd say at his age, Qatar is the last roll of the dice. If we qualify, i'll be going regardless.

If America got 2026 I could see us going to that but he'll be 70 by then and I think it would be pushing it in terms of travelling from city to city.

Bad enough for me never having been to one but there's boys in my office who weren't even born the last time we played in one! In fact, Tierney who has captained us, had only just turned 1 when we played Brazil in the opening game.

That's beyond depressing.

I was behind the goal when Stuart McCall slid in and scored against Sweden and it remains one of my all time great manic goal celebrations. I still see it going in now when I close my eyes. I had just turned 20 and a load of mates went to what was a first World Cup for all of us. By no means the largest travelling  support but in that section, at that moment,  it was absolute bedlam. 😂

3 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

I was behind the goal when Stuart McCall slid in and scored against Sweden and it remains one of my all time great manic goal celebrations. I still see it going in now when I close my eyes. I had just turned 20 and a load of mates went to what was a first World Cup for all of us. By no means the largest travelling  support but in that section, at that moment,  it was absolute bedlam. 😂

Me too - i was 22 going on 23

I also followed through by accident on the walk from the stadium to the train station

Had to flush my favourite pair of Fred Flintstone boxer shorts down a public lavatory toilet

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Me too - i was 22 going on 23

I also followed through by accident on the walk from the stadium to the train station

Had to flush my favourite pair of Fred Flintstone boxer shorts down a public lavatory toilet

Genoa was tremendous. Far superior to Turin 

2 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Genoa was tremendous. Far superior to Turin 

The rain in Turin had a lot to do with it

All day and unrelenting

Shows how old I am! 1966 and 1970 are vivid memories, and having been at 13 games in 1974, one in 1982 and three in 1990, I'm currently in Russia and will be going to my fourth game later today. Denmark v Australia in Samara, which is absolutely beautiful. It used to be called Kybyshev, and, had the Germans captured Moscow, it would have become the capital of USSR.

After today, I've still got another three games in Samara, two in Kazan and probably two in Saint Petersburg. 

Russia is a smashing and fascinating place. Spent 24 of the past 48 hours on trains from Samara to Saransk  and back, just to watch Colombia lose to Japan. 9 hours there, yet 15 hours back??