Potential squad for Belgium - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential squad for Belgium

andyD

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A formation would be a help.

Really think we need to play a back four with our best player (Robertson) in his correct position and the rest of the team in their usual positions. Which brings us back to the Tierney problem. Personally think he is a good enough player to be better than all our options at right back with the possible exception of Fraser. If not left mid or left side of central defence might be stronger with him in one of those positions .

And before any one brings it up my previous question suggestion about picking all the Celtic players in position and leaving out Robertsonwas purely hypothetical

My formation is 4-5-1. As for your team, Fraser as a full back in a back four is risky. A wing back in a back five is another matter.

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A formation would be a help.

Really think we need to play a back four with our best player (Robertson) in his correct position and the rest of the team in their usual positions. Which brings us back to the Tierney problem. Personally think he is a good enough player to be better than all our options at right back with the possible exception of Fraser. If not left mid or left side of central defence might be stronger with him in one of those positions .

And before any one brings it up my previous question suggestion about picking all the Celtic players in position and leaving out Robertsonwas purely hypothetical

I'd rather play Tierney left back and Robertson left mid.

59 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Nope. He’s not lacking in pace to the extent it would rule him out at full back. He’s very highly thought of by coaches, and i think he’ll be accommodated in our weakest position.

Fair enough.

Any mates I have that are Rangers fans say him playing at the back gives them the fear and his best position by far is defensive mid.

19 hours ago, andyD said:

Rhodes still has the ability to be an important player.
People tend to look at the goals column and that's it, without understanding the context.

loads of excuses why Jordan Rhodes hasn't been scoring for the last three years.

If Rhodes was as good as you seem to think he is then he would have been getting a game ahead of those players you mention.  The truth is that he isn't so he doesn't.

Just like Barry Bannan let's conveniently overlook that any time he has played for Scotland he's generally been shite.

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I honestly don't know if some folk on here watch SPFL games or just pick players due to the teams they play for!

I honestly don’t know if you can be impartial when debating anything to do with a position that concerns a Kilmarnock player 😂

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I honestly don’t know if you can be impartial when debating anything to do with a position that concerns a Kilmarnock player 😂

Taking SOD totally out the equation, are you seriously suggesting playing Hendry at RB?

Same with folk suggesting McRorie....I can bet you none of them support either Celtic or Rangers or watch either player on a semi regular basis.

Talk about trying to shoe horn players into a team!

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I honestly don't know if some folk on here watch SPFL games or just pick players due to the teams they play for!

It's bizarre.

He's played a handful of games there for Celtic and been standout (for the wrong reasons) on most occasions. I hope he'll be a solid enough CB for both Scotland and Celtic, but he sure as hell is not any sort of answer for RB.

34 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

It's bizarre.

He's played a handful of games there for Celtic and been standout (for the wrong reasons) on most occasions. I hope he'll be a solid enough CB for both Scotland and Celtic, but he sure as hell is not any sort of answer for RB.

I don't even think he'll be first choice at Celtic next season as Boyata/Ayer are way ahead of him at CH.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

If Rhodes was as good as you seem to think he is then he would have been getting a game ahead of those players you mention.  The truth is that he isn't so he doesn't.

That's literally the stupidest things anyone's ever said.

Because systems and 'form' aren't things that exist.

8 minutes ago, andyD said:

That's literally the stupidest things anyone's ever said.

Because systems and 'form' aren't things that exist.

No, because if Rhodes was the player you seem to think he isn't then successive managers would build their systems around him.  

Or there would be plenty of other clubs prepared to buy him and pay the cost.

Why do you think that they don't do that?

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, aaid said:

No, because if Rhodes was the player you seem to think he isn't then successive managers would build their systems around him.  

Or there would be plenty of other clubs prepared to buy him and pay the cost.

Why do you think that they don't do that?

#1 FFP
Buying Rhodes has pushed Sheffield Wednesday dangerously close to breaching the FFP rules, despite being reasonably thrifty in their other dealings. Championship sides do have to tread a fine line, as Aston Villa are finding out right now. This makes Rhodes basically unaffordable for the vast majority of Championship clubs.

#2 Premier League Decline
The bottom half of the English premier league has become a pretty terrible level of football. While they have money to burn, the clubs seem rules by fear of relegation, and so tend to set up in a highly defensive way, looking to hoof it at a fast/powerful lone striker. Arnautovic at West Ham, Gray at Watford, Vardy and Iheanacho at Leicester, Gayle at Newcastle, Wilson at Bournemouth.. the list goes on. The bottom of the prem is full of it. Desperate not to lose and hoping to win. The condensed nature of the bottom half of the Prem would seem to be testament to this not really being a good idea. It's the football of fear, and results in a race to the bottom. Very few teams in the premier league play football.. and those that do can afford much better players than Jordan Rhodes.

#3 Strachan's Outlook
From Strachan's teams and what he said in the press, he had a fairly similar approach to Scotland as those lower end premier league teams have. 451, with a lone striker leading the line and basically making things happen on their own. Much as Kenny Miller was tasked with doing for so many years. We've seen that that doesn't work.. and with the talent we have in midfield now, it makes sense to play 2 up top and give the midfield talent outlets which can threaten the goal.

#4 They did at club level.
Huddersfield did. Blackburn did. Middlesborough did, till they got promoted and they replaced him with Negredo.
Wednesday put him in initially, but in a horribly defensive side that scored a frankly pathetic number of goals, which ultimately led to the manager being got rid of. The new manager inherited a disaster area with the entire starting 11 injured, so also went ultra defensive to stop the rot. Rhodes was then kept out for the last couple of months by other players being in the best form of their lives.

Tbh I'm not sure what you mean by 'the player you seem to think he is'. I think he's a reliable goal scorer, proven at a certain level. The kind of guy who will make a difference when it comes to putting to bed sides like Lithuania, Georgia and probably Ireland and Poland.. since that's the level he plays at. I don't think he'll suddenly start scoring hattricks against Germany. But in the Nations League we're not playing Germany, we're just playing decent teams.. and Rhodes is really good against decent teams.

14 hours ago, andyD said:

#1 FFP
Buying Rhodes has pushed Sheffield Wednesday dangerously close to breaching the FFP rules, despite being reasonably thrifty in their other dealings. Championship sides do have to tread a fine line, as Aston Villa are finding out right now. This makes Rhodes basically unaffordable for the vast majority of Championship clubs.

#2 Premier League Decline
The bottom half of the English premier league has become a pretty terrible level of football. While they have money to burn, the clubs seem rules by fear of relegation, and so tend to set up in a highly defensive way, looking to hoof it at a fast/powerful lone striker. Arnautovic at West Ham, Gray at Watford, Vardy and Iheanacho at Leicester, Gayle at Newcastle, Wilson at Bournemouth.. the list goes on. The bottom of the prem is full of it. Desperate not to lose and hoping to win. The condensed nature of the bottom half of the Prem would seem to be testament to this not really being a good idea. It's the football of fear, and results in a race to the bottom. Very few teams in the premier league play football.. and those that do can afford much better players than Jordan Rhodes.

#3 Strachan's Outlook
From Strachan's teams and what he said in the press, he had a fairly similar approach to Scotland as those lower end premier league teams have. 451, with a lone striker leading the line and basically making things happen on their own. Much as Kenny Miller was tasked with doing for so many years. We've seen that that doesn't work.. and with the talent we have in midfield now, it makes sense to play 2 up top and give the midfield talent outlets which can threaten the goal.

#4 They did at club level.
Huddersfield did. Blackburn did. Middlesborough did, till they got promoted and they replaced him with Negredo.
Wednesday put him in initially, but in a horribly defensive side that scored a frankly pathetic number of goals, which ultimately led to the manager being got rid of. The new manager inherited a disaster area with the entire starting 11 injured, so also went ultra defensive to stop the rot. Rhodes was then kept out for the last couple of months by other players being in the best form of their lives.

Tbh I'm not sure what you mean by 'the player you seem to think he is'. I think he's a reliable goal scorer, proven at a certain level. The kind of guy who will make a difference when it comes to putting to bed sides like Lithuania, Georgia and probably Ireland and Poland.. since that's the level he plays at. I don't think he'll suddenly start scoring hattricks against Germany. But in the Nations League we're not playing Germany, we're just playing decent teams.. and Rhodes is really good against decent teams.

#5 Rhodes isn't as a good as you are giving him credit for.

#6 Rhodes needs a team built round him. That's never going to happen for Scotland as he's not good enough to base your team around. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

#5 Rhodes isn't as a good as you are giving him credit for.

#6 Rhodes needs a team built round him. That's never going to happen for Scotland as he's not good enough to base your team around. 

Well, I'm glad we had a conversation about it..

22 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Fraser at RB seems crazy to me. He is at his best in and around the area. I'd have him left wing every match. 

With who on the right?

Personally I'd like to see Fraser right and Robertson left. With Tierney at fullback.