Increasing the playing pool and squad for September - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Increasing the playing pool and squad for September

BraveheartGordon

Having now had 4 matches since the new manager was appointed I think we're now in a good position to assess how the plyers that came into the squad performed and what the next squad which will take in our first nations league match could look like, here are my thoughts.

New Players:

Jordan Archer: 2 poor errors against Peru have surely played his way out of contention for future call ups.

Jon McLaughlin: Solid debut and some good stops from long-range, blameless for Mexico goal.

Bain: Solid enough performance and displayed some good distribution ,handling not as clean as JM.

Scott McKenna: Areal find, 4 really strong performances played him into the first 11.

Jack Hendry: Looks a real prospect and particularly impressed with his calm passing and ability to step forward.

Stephen O'Donnell: Hard task in both matches but thought he coped decently and the squad is weak at right-back.

Lewis Stevenson: Looked shaky in 1st half against Peru but recovered to do ok in the 2nd half.

Barry Douglas: didn't look out of place against Hungary but has 2 first class left full backs ahead of him so might be well placed playing further forward.

Scott McTominay: shows top drawer composure to pick angled passes under pressure, also offers a physical presence in midfield, his Scotland career can only grow.

McDonald: showed a disappointing lack of aggression v Costa Rica but McLeish rates him.

McGeouch: Gave the ball away far too many times over the 2 matches and put us under needless pressure.

McLean: Played out of position in first match but stuck to his task, thought he was really poor against Mexico for someone of his ability.

Christie: Was atrocious against Mexico and kept displaying poor control.

Cairney: Had a poor first half v Costa Rica but possibly on the verge of an EPL breakthrough season.

Russell: Worked hard and might have earned another opportunity.

Murphy: I thought he tracked back well against Peru to help Stevenson out and had  or 2 impressive runs including one to beat 3 peru players and win a free-kick.

Morgan: Looked bright and exciting but his involvement in September's matches will come down to his club situation.

McBurnie: Offers us a physical presence at number 9, was unlucky not to score his header against Mexico.

Phillips as a 9: Looked impressive against Hungary holding the ball up and managing to get on the scoresheet, offers a physical presence but tends to drift out of games too easily.

Squad for Septembers games

GK: McGregor and Gordon are stick ons if fit but Marshall being MIA means one of the goalies mentioned will get a chance as 3rd choice.

McGregor, Gordon and Scott Bain

Defenders: 3 CB's pick themselves leaving one spot which I think McLeish might choose a right footer (even if I don't rate Hanley), McLeish might carry O'Donnell or another right back in case we play a back 4.

Hendry, McKenna, Mulgrew, Hanley Tierney. Robertson, O'Donnell and Paterson

Midfield: I think the squad will be midfield loaded.

McTominay, Mcginn, McGregor, Armstrong, Cairney, McDonald and McCarthur.

Wide players and forwards: I think McLeish will balance 2 right sided wide players with someone who prefers playing on the left so Murphy or Morgan might get the nod ahead of Russell.

Forrest, Fraser, Murphy, Griffiths, McBurnie and Phillips.

In all the matches I think McKenna, Hendry, possibly O'Donnell, McTominay,, McBurnie and Phillips as a striker all probably add to the existing group.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

Would be a bit rubbish having two keeper from the same club in the squad, when clearly isn't playing regularly. I'd go with Gordon, McGregor and McLaughlin.

Thought O'Donnell eventually had a decent game in Mexico after a dodgy opening 10/15 minutes. Suppose it depends if McLeish will play Tierney at RB if he's going to feature again (don't think Paterson will be used there).

I really don't see the appeal of Kenny McLean but hopefully he will improve down at Norwich. McGeoch will hopefully have another strong season with Hibs, or whoever he signs for but I don't think he's international quality.

McBurnie looks decent enough for a plan B but let's hope Leigh Griffiths is available for the national league games. 

13 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Would be a bit rubbish having two keeper from the same club in the squad, when clearly isn't playing regularly. I'd go with Gordon, McGregor and McLaughlin.

Thought O'Donnell eventually had a decent game in Mexico after a dodgy opening 10/15 minutes. Suppose it depends if McLeish will play Tierney at RB if he's going to feature again (don't think Paterson will be used there).

I really don't see the appeal of Kenny McLean but hopefully he will improve down at Norwich. McGeoch will hopefully have another strong season with Hibs, or whoever he signs for but I don't think he's international quality.

McBurnie looks decent enough for a plan B but let's hope Leigh Griffiths is available for the national league games. 

McLeish seemed to single out SOD, Morgan and Russell for praise in the article I read earlier.

The fact that SOD played 180 minutes makes me think McLeish was wanting a right good look at him at RB, which is strange as he wasn't in original squad.

He did come onto a game and I'm not surprised he was nervy to start with given it's easily the biggest games he's played in. Given how sparse our options are, I think he might be in a with a shout of future squads.

I'd also prefer 3 keepers from 3 different clubs that are playing regularly. Gordon, McGregor and McLaughlin would be my 3  too.

McBurnie I like as a player and definitely have in the squad as back up. Same with Russell.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

McLeish seemed to single out SOD, Morgan and Russell for praise in the article I read earlier.

The fact that SOD played 180 minutes makes me think McLeish was wanting a right good look at him at RB, which is strange as he wasn't in original squad.

He did come onto a game and I'm not surprised he was nervy to start with given it's easily the biggest games he's played in. Given how sparse our options are, I think he might be in a with a shout of future squads.

I'd also prefer 3 keepers from 3 different clubs that are playing regularly. Gordon, McGregor and McLaughlin would be my 3  too.

McBurnie I like as a player and definitely have in the squad as back up. Same with Russell.

I hope you are right about SOD going to RB, it means we will be going back to our best 4-2-3-1 formation. Perhaps we might see (my personal dream) Tierney and LB and robertson and Left mid, with tierney overlapping now and again

7 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

What about Shinnie? SOme good involvement v Mexico and is a player who can slot into various positions.

I thought o'DOnnell was decent, too. Can only improve for the experience.

I thought Shinnie played really well and I really like him but his 2 best positions are the 2 strongest in the squad, he’s really unfortunate.

I'd like Shinnie in future squads. He looked to have the temperament for international football. While our first choice midfield 3 might be McTominay, Armstrong, McGregor (or something), Having Shinning to bring on for McGregor to see a game out seems like a good option to have.