McLeish post-Peru - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

McLeish post-Peru

andyD

45 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

And you know this for a fact do you, that he has, in your words ‘a problem’?   I don’t care what he does in his private life as long as (a) he is sober when on duty, (b) gets the best out of the players.

There are many other managers that take a drink..., I have seen one who is a bit of darling of some of the fans here staggering out the toilet of a pub with my own eyes. 

FFS, can we give Mcleish a chance, he is just in the door.

I'm not going to debate his drinking with you. Im quite happy to use the evidence of my own eyes and listen to others who've been around him. If you seriously think that kind of lifestyle doesnt impact on the ability to do a job like the one he has you're living in the past as far as I'm concerned.

I wish him well but the only chance he'll get from me is if he produces results against Israel and Albania. If not he can feck right off back into the obscurity he came from. After all, his appointment was a monumental piss take from his pals who couldn't wait to shoe him in as soon as Regan was out the door! Not his fault, you might say, but if he's happy to take the job and the money he can take the scrutiny that comes with it.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:30 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Spot on. It was hopeless and it's hard to argue that we got the best out of what we had in the squad.

Other than Morgan, I'm not sure we learnt anything new about anyone. Maybe McKenna showed again that he is capable at this level. 

We learned not to play Jordan Archer. Which is absolutely crucial going forward.

It’s pretty clear a lot of fans made their mind up about McLeish before he even got the job and are sitting waiting anxiously to tell all the other fans I told you so.

His remit is to take us to Euro 2020, I’ll see how he gets on with that to judge him thanks, and way more is being made out of the Peru match than the situation and overall performance warrants.

Aye, we had lots of people queueing up to take the job right enough.  Mcleish, very early said he was intersted... had to wait whist the SFA embarrassed themselves chasing  someone else who turned them down, who I don’t think would have been as good an appointment in the first place.  

11 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Heavens above. There were folk who didn't want MON because of 'the swally.' We limiting our selection procedures now to teetotallers?

If only we could have persuaded a teetotaller like Fergie to take the job.

38 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

MON would have been a terrible appointment no matter who he has managed,  I would have had Walter smith as first choice but Mcleish is a decent appointment.

What do you base that on?

He's been pretty poor in his last 3 or 4 jobs. The first 3 games have been pretty uninspiring. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

What do you base that on?

He's been pretty poor in his last 3 or 4 jobs. The first 3 games have been pretty uninspiring. 

His wn ratio when in the job before was outstanding, better than virtually every other Scotland manager.  He has done about as well as expected first three games, lost to two countries who are better than us and beaten the weaker team.  I’m not sure what kind of inspiration you are expecting from a bunch of journeymen at best.  I expect us to go out and try and not get a hiding and nick the odd goal as that is our level.

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

MON hasn't managed Rangers though.

It's interesting that the biggest complainers and those peddling the drink rumours all support the same team. 

No evidence to their rumours but happy to continually peddle them in the hope they turn out to be correct. 

As for the game, I haven't watched any of it or read anything other than the score as I really don't care about these 2 friendlies. The squad is nothing like the one that would have been chosen for a "real" game. This and the Mexico game are utter wastes of time. 

Theyre nothing but a potential disaster for a new manager and one that he didn't choose. 

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

His wn ratio when in the job before was outstanding, better than virtually every other Scotland manager.  He has done about as well as expected first three games, lost to two countries who are better than us and beaten the weaker team.  I’m not sure what kind of inspiration you are expecting from a bunch of journeymen at best.  I expect us to go out and try and not get a hiding and nick the odd goal as that is our level.

I expect players to be playing in their strongest position. I expect to see the best of those players.

If we have a hugely weakened squad, I expect to see players that aren't quite ready yet but will be pushing for a spot in a season or two - not a load of players that will never be near the squad again. 

The results last time were good but that was over 10 years ago. He's done very little since then to prove that he can repeat that run. 

9 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I expect players to be playing in their strongest position. I expect to see the best of those players.

If we have a hugely weakened squad, I expect to see players that aren't quite ready yet but will be pushing for a spot in a season or two - not a load of players that will never be near the squad again. 

The results last time were good but that was over 10 years ago. He's done very little since then to prove that he can repeat that run. 

Lets wait and see once he has his best players available and we are play8ng competitive football.  In an ideal world you would bring through players that are for two to three years down the line but only when you have a solid teAm around them of first team players.

47 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Lets wait and see once he has his best players available and we are play8ng competitive football.  In an ideal world you would bring through players that are for two to three years down the line but only when you have a solid teAm around them of first team players.

Of course, he will be judged this year on the games against Albania and Israel. They are two teams you'd hope we'd be beating and finishing above in a 3-team league. 

On 6/2/2018 at 9:05 AM, PASTA Mick said:

Of course, he will be judged this year on the games against Albania and Israel. They are two teams you'd hope we'd be beating and finishing above in a 3-team league. 

Ultimately that will be the decider. Finish top and everything's fine, anything but and he's probably out the door.

Appointment from a previous regime and at that point would have lost at least 6 of 9 games.
Don't know how we could go into the qualifiers with that base.