Peru - Match Thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Peru - Match Thread

Clyde1998

What is the point of Mulgrew? Surely he's there to add composure and experience? Yet he's involved in one of the most disorganised cock-ups i've ever seen watching Scotland. Be as well partnering Hendry with McKenna and attempting to get them to form a long-term partnership. 

Bizarre selections to play Stevenson before Shinnie and Phillips before McBurnie or Russell. However, that's the kind of nonsense i've come to expect watching Scotland over the last few years. 

Haven't watched it yet but the best we could hope for from this trip is solving some of the obvious issues we have like RB, CB, someone to replace Brown and a bit of back up for Griffiths. If we even make progress in one of those areas maybe this trip will prove worthwhile. 👍

18 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What is the point of Mulgrew? Surely he's there to add composure and experience? Yet he's involved in one of the most disorganised cock-ups i've ever seen watching Scotland. Be as well partnering Hendry with McKenna and attempting to get them to form a long-term partnership. 

Bizarre selections to play Stevenson before Shinnie and Phillips before McBurnie or Russell. However, that's the kind of nonsense i've come to expect watching Scotland over the last few years. 

I don't see how you can blame Mulgrew for Archer losing the plot at the first.  Really don't understand why McKenna wasn't sent off for that, in a competitive game I'm sure it would have been a red.   A crazy decision from Archer.

Its a bit like blaming Willie Miller for Alan Hansen running into him in 1982 against the Soviet Union. 

1 minute ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Other than Archer looking totally garbage, I didn't think it was too bad. 

Especially for such an experimental side.

What's your view on whether McKenna should've been sent off?

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't see how you can blame Mulgrew for Archer losing the plot at the first.  Really don't understand why McKenna wasn't sent off for that, in a competitive game I'm sure it would have been a red.   A crazy decision from Archer.

Its a bit like blaming Willie Miller for Alan Hansen running into him in 1982 against the Soviet Union. 

Mulgrew is an experienced player and could've/should've dealt with the situation. He didn't. 

Archer is definitely more culpable though. 

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Mulgrew is an experienced player and could've/should've dealt with the situation. He didn't. 

Archer is definitely more culpable though. 

He was dealing with it though, he was ahead of the Peruvian player, he's got his body between him and the ball and he's heading away from goal.   He either sees the ball out for a goal kick - if it reaches the goal line - or he clears it.   

I'm not certain Mulgrew should be playing but I can't see how you can fault him here.

Saw your recent post after I wrote this - fair play.

Edited by aaid

19 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Other than Archer looking totally garbage, I didn't think it was too bad. 

Especially for such an experimental side.

That was my take on it.

Only real negatives for me were Archer, McGinn and Murphy. The latter was beyond anonymous.

Though we looked better after the subs. Miller was OTT critical of SOD for the goal too IMO. He got dragged out but Mulgrew/McKenna were out of position and maybe inexperience got to him. I thought him and Stevenson looked not bad considering.

Christie was lively when he came on.

As someone who has been shouting at Hibs for last two years to buy a proper left back, I thought Stevenson did well.

Willie Millers Dons seethe at him playing ahead of that world beater Shinnie was ridiculous. Actually brought Stevenson into discussion when talking about the two goals.

McGinn was poor and I thought McGeouch had a good debut and think he will be in or around future squads.

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That was my take on it.

Only real negatives for me were Archer, McGinn and Murphy. The latter was beyond anonymous.

Though we looked better after the subs. Miller was OTT critical of SOD for the goal too IMO. He got dragged out but Mulgrew/McKenna were out of position and maybe inexperience got to him. I thought him and Stevenson looked not bad considering.

Christie was lively when he came on.

When did Christie come on? I completely missed that.

Positives - I thought McKenna continued to look like he'll be a fixture in the team, McGeouch was promising and McTominay and McLean did fine

Negatives - Archer (obviously), McGinn was disappointing as he must be capable of impacting a game more than that, and Murphy was useless.

Neither full back is likely to get a look in for the full strength team so no major harm done there, although McDonnell would maybe be ok against weaker opposition in an emergency so the experience won't have done him any harm.

Oh, and we really, really, really need Leigh Griffiths to be fit for important games.

Edited by wee-toon-red

5 minutes ago, giblet said:

Willie Millers Dons seethe at him playing ahead of that world beater Shinnie was ridiculous.

It's not though. Shinnie is about 50 times the player Stevenson is. Bizarre as fuck to see Stevenson start ahead of Shinnie. 

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Real positive for me was Lewis Morgan.

Too early to get excited but he looks a real player.

Agreed. I know I’m a wee bit biased. On one hand I was grateful he got on at all as it would have been only too typically Scottish for McLeish to say he too young and he’s only here for the experience. On the other hand I’d like to have seen more of him because as you say he looked very lively.

Hopefully we’ll see more of him in the Mexico game.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Remember it like yesterday 🤔 - pretty sure we would have got out the group had Hansen opened his fuckn eyes !!

47 minutes ago, aaid said:

He was dealing with it though, he was ahead of the Peruvian player, he's got his body between him and the ball and he's heading away from goal.   He either sees the ball out for a goal kick - if it reaches the goal line - or he clears it.   

I'm not certain Mulgrew should be playing but I can't see how you can fault him here.

Saw your recent post after I wrote this - fair play.

He did exactly that in the second half only this time Archer stayed put.

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm not sure it was deliberate handball; he had his back to the player so no way could it have been intentional.

In which case it shouldn't have been a penalty.