Snp Strategy - 2015 General Election - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snp Strategy - 2015 General Election

1. Aryshire North & Arran (LAB) - 5.9% (SNP gain)

Not a chance :lol:

As much as I'd like to see Labour ousted from Scotland completely, I can't see Katy losing her seat. She holds just short of a 10k majority and chances are the SNP will put forward Patricia Gibson... Extending Katy's majority to 15k.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I'd like to see Labour ousted from Scotland completely, I can't see Katy losing her seat. She holds just short of a 10k majority and chances are the SNP will put forward Patricia Gibson... Extending Katy's majority to 15k.

It might be in jeopardy though if there is any truth in the rumour that she spent the referendum campaign phoning pensioners in her constituency to tell them that they might lose their pension in the event of a Yes vote.

It's not my prediction, it's the website's. ;)

Chance of winning:

SNP - 51.1%

LAB - 45.2%

CON - 3.7%

LIB - 0.0%

UKIP - 0.0%

Others - 5.9%

It might be in jeopardy though if there is any truth in the rumour that she spent the referendum campaign phoning pensioners in her constituency to tell them that they might lose their pension in the event of a Yes vote.

I've not heard that one. I'd be wary of any rumours coming from my fellow 45% given that some of them are still slavering at the mouth over a rigged count.

I'd like to see them be the 3rd party at Westminster and form a coalition government with the Tories.

Are you on the wind up as theres no way the snp would go in with the tories as they would lose everything they have worked for if they did. :blink:

Edited by HIGHTOWER 1314

Opposition view - Today in Inverclyde:

As you'll know Labour no longer have a majority. This means that various positions were required to be changed.

A key outside body Riverside Inverclydes membership was discussed. I put forward that an SNP member join this body which had been reported as failing in the past.

Despite the Tories having only 1 councillor in Inverclyde and the fact the SNP are the largest minority group I was bitterly disappointed that Labour voted to have the solitary Tory join them on the board instead of the SNP.

Labour and the Tories voting together again.

No logic at all, just joking. It would just be hilarious if SNP held the balance of power in any way at Westminster.

Aye that would be good but there is a huge difference between holding the balance of power and joining the Tories in a coalition. That would just be mental and not funny in the slightest. Having said that, I do understand that some folk have got a really weird sense of humour. :lol:

I think we need a platform. One we all can trust . One that is transparent and not for profit.

A place where politics is the point, not some sniffed at subject folk turn their wee bluenoses up at.

Take the politics out of this board and it will be a shell.

Go on, take it out.

Edited by thplinth

Been reading all the pessimism on here as to how the labour vote will still happen in the general election.

Having worked, been a shop steward and still a trade unionist in glasgow which is tradional ' monkey wi a red rosette' country i have the following comment to make.

the conversations i have born witness to over the last 18-24 months are as follows:-

' Alex Salmond addressed our conference today, had he been a labour candidate he would have been given a standing ovation' - ' its got to be a yes if for nothing else you could stick a rizla in between labour and the tories' - ' Red Blue both Tories' - ' Labour are finished in Scotland'

Might only be small snippets of conversation, however 2 of the above comments were made by a regional organiser of a trade union and a branch secretary of the same trade union, the others are made by normal working class guys in canteen conversation.

My big point being - these conversations and statements would have been tantamount to blasphemy even as recently as 5 years ago, if labour aren't finished at the very least they are about to get a good kicking next may, in my opinion hearing what i hear , normal working class people are now sick of the 'new' tories.

I'm voting Tory

Fair play. I wonder how many other former SNP voters will be voting for someone else now the referendum has been. Voting for the SNP is actually not helping them anymore. Too little too late now. Who cares is the strategy for 2015.

I think a lot of people now and in increasing numbers will find themselves asking "what is the point of the SNP now?" It is a question the SNP need to ask themselves now and come up with the one and only answer possible. Or give it up and disband.

edit: if the SNP did not field a single candidate in the GE or SE next time that would suit me just fine.

Edited by thplinth

Are the daily record positioning themselve before the election, maybe trying to stop disillusioned labour members from jumping over to the snp, thats what i take from this headline yes there are some awful expenses placed by snp members but it is a small drop in the ocean compared to others parties, had salmond had the highest expenses it would have been a headline in that paper

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/snp-backbencher-richard-lyle-billed-4411584

I think a lot of people now and in increasing numbers will find themselves asking "what is the point of the SNP now?" It is a question the SNP need to ask themselves now and come up with the one and only answer possible. Or give it up and disband.

edit: if the SNP did not field a single candidate in the GE or SE next time that would suit me just fine.

Disagree. The SNP have never been in a better position. A record number of the electorate support independence, membership's soared, and they've temporarily repositioned themselves as the vow/home rule police to take the moral high ground. They have all the momentum to in time go for independence again. If it'd been a 'yes' it would've been more difficult for the SNP over time as internal discipline may have broken down and factions emerged, with some aligning themselves with other parties. Should say I'm not a member of the party.

Disagree. The SNP have never been in a better position. A record number of the electorate support independence, membership's soared, and they've temporarily repositioned themselves as the vow/home rule police to take the moral high ground. They have all the momentum to in time go for independence again. If it'd been a 'yes' it would've been more difficult for the SNP over time as internal discipline may have broken down and factions emerged, with some aligning themselves with other parties. Should say I'm not a member of the party.

Hmmmmm....it feels a bit like being all dressed up but with nowhere to go but.

If it'd been a 'yes' it would've been more difficult for the SNP over time as internal discipline may have broken down and factions emerged, with some aligning themselves with other parties.

I'm constantly amazed at how well SNP party discipline holds up, considering how it is ( and I'm over-generalsing here, obviously) a single issue party, which will inevitably attract people with vastly differing views on issues other than independence. OK, so there was a tiny schism over NATO-membership, for example, but they do a surprisingly tight job of maintaining a united front.

I'm constantly amazed at how well SNP party discipline holds up, considering how it is ( and I'm over-generalsing here, obviously) a single issue party, which will inevitably attract people with vastly differing views on issues other than independence. OK, so there was a tiny schism over NATO-membership, for example, but they do a surprisingly tight job of maintaining a united front.

Therein lies the problem Zoltan. It was the great goal of self governance that kept that discipline. Everyone was willing to subordinate their differing views to achieve it. But now and for a good while at least that shared goal has been snuffed out. This is why I see no advantage to being in power for a while at least. Let the voters taste the oppositions delights for a change.