Russia 2018 - Page 17 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

From what I've seen so far, I think England will beat anybody from group H. So, it just depends who they get in the QF. One fluky result and they are in the semi final.

Poland and Columbia were both disappointing.

53 minutes ago, Mee said:

France have been really dislikeable so far. Arrogant and not trying as far as I can see. Hope they get horsed in the knockouts.

I wouldn't worry, as soon as they come up against a team that can attack properly they'll be gone.

Sampaoli should be sacked before the evening is out. His decision making, team selection and formations are dire, quite how he can find space in this team for Mascherano, Higuain etc but not Dybala, Banega and La Celso is astonishing.

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Argentina look stinking.

Iceland win tomorrow against Nigeria, then a draw in the final game, and Argentina are out.

I think Croatia were pretty good. I think they would have beaten most teams tonight. Not sure if they can keep it going for the whole tournament though?

I wouldn't be surprised if Iceland draw their next 2 games and Argentina beat Nigeria 1-0 to go through. 

12 minutes ago, Mox said:

Sampaoli should be sacked before the evening is out. His decision making, team selection and formations are dire, quite how he can find space in this team for Mascherano, Higuain etc but not Dybala, Banega and La Celso is astonishing.

Argentina are well past their best but agree about Dybala and Le celso, not sure bamega is playing all the time for Sevilla but he is a good player. Think Messi just trys too hard at times because he knows theyre shite. Icardi is a big miss but think the whole team hates him

9 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Argentina are well past their best but agree about Dybala and Le celso, not sure bamega is playing all the time for Sevilla but he is a good player. Think Messi just trys too hard at times because he knows theyre shite. Icardi is a big miss but think the whole team hates him

Icardi is another one. Scored double the league goals that Higuain did, yet Higuain made the squad, it's mind boggling stuff.

8 minutes ago, Mox said:

Icardi is another one. Scored double the league goals that Higuain did, yet Higuain made the squad, it's mind boggling stuff.

Because of the icardi shagging maxi Lopez missus the squad don't like him basically so that's why he's not there, but totally agree with you, he's a class striker and they're really missing that.

2 minutes ago, 1ANDYP said:

South and central American fans have been great in this world cup. Great turnouts for most teams. And create a great atmosphere. 

Yeah they have shown up the Europeans who have bottled it by the looks of things.

Argentina absolutely honking from front to back. Tactics and setup terrible not to mention attitude. Would drop half that team. Midfield totally AWOL on countless occasions because they couldn't be arsed tracking back. Feel sorry for Messi. Too much expected of him and almost everything tried to go through him - as good as he is, crowd him out and his teammates don't know what to do.

What makes it worse is the incessant comparisons with Ronaldo. Massively unfair IMO. Especially as Ronaldo is throbbing bellend. 

8 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Argentina absolutely honking from front to back. Tactics and setup terrible not to mention attitude. Would drop half that team. Midfield totally AWOL on countless occasions because they couldn't be arsed tracking back. Feel sorry for Messi. Too much expected of him and almost everything tried to go through him - as good as he is, crowd him out and his teammates don't know what to do.

What makes it worse is the incessant comparisons with Ronaldo. Massively unfair IMO. Especially as Ronaldo is throbbing bellend. 

I don't think I've ever felt more sorry for a top level footballer in my whole life.

You only have to look at how he dragged a mediocre Barca team to another league title and you only have to look at Suarez and Dembele at this tournament to realise they're not great.

Ronaldo has been managed excellently by both Real Madrid and Portugal and I think the exact opposite for Messi.

8 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Great to see Croatia NOT sitting back at 1-0.   Continued to press high without, and get forward in numbers with the ball.   Confident and/or brave.

I thought they might sit back at 2-0! 

2 hours ago, Mox said:

I don't think I've ever felt more sorry for a top level footballer in my whole life.

You only have to look at how he dragged a mediocre Barca team to another league title and you only have to look at Suarez and Dembele at this tournament to realise they're not great.

Ronaldo has been managed excellently by both Real Madrid and Portugal and I think the exact opposite for Messi.

Telling stat about Messi: 6 points from a possible 24 without him; 21 points from a possible 30 with him. Either he's constantly having to carry them or they're constantly set up in a way that makes them over reliant on him. Or both. Either way, the amount of pressure on him must be huge and I dont think it's any surprise he's struggling at the World Cup whether that's due to pressure, because opposition teams know to neutralise him, or because his team mates have nothing to give. Tragic. As one of his (former) teammates said, he's too good - players naturally become dependent on him and/or don't know how to play in a team with him.