Russia 2018 - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Am I mistaken, or are all the pundits/commentators on the BBC, English (apart from the few token premiership foreign players). Even itv have McCoist, O'Neill, Keane and Giggs

The BBC were a fkin disgrace last night. But it's the same old - folk complaining about this in Scotland every 2 years, it does my heid in.

4 hours ago, madoneone said:

That Japanese dumping goalie is the useless twat that played for united the year we got relegated absolute pish then and

still the same after that goal

I laughed out loud when I seen he was in the Japan goal.  He is horrendous

They'd have been better of with Mr Miyagi in the sticks  

Am I seeing things or is the stadium patchy? For a Russian home game at their own finals?

Edit : just as a type the commentators says lots of empty seats in the expensive section.

Own goal reminds me a bit of Iran v Scotland. Or do I have 78 on the brain.

Edited by exile

If my auntie had baws she would be my uncle this is but I have been through all 8 groups and substituted Scotland for what I think is the third seeded nation and decided whether or not we would have qualified for knockout stage. Having now seen all the teams play.

Group A sub Scotland for Egypt. No

B Morocco. No

C Denmark or Peru. Maybe

D Nigeria. No

E Serbia No

F  Sweden. No

G Tunisia. Maybe

H. Japan. Maybe

Perhaps a bit harsh but I think we would struggle to get out of any of those groups. Your comments welcome as am now utterly depressed.

7 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Perhaps a bit harsh but I think we would struggle to get out of any of those groups. Your comments welcome as am now utterly depressed.

It's certainly not harsh to think Scotland would struggle to get out of a group!

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

It's certainly not harsh to think Scotland would struggle to get out of a group!

Right enough but 50% of the teams in each group qualify. The standard would be lose to Panama, lose with a last minute goal v england, beat Belgium, get knocked out but look to future with great positivity. The winning goal v Belgium the goal of tournament so a recreation could take pride of place in Hampden museum. 

38 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

If my auntie had baws she would be my uncle this is but I have been through all 8 groups and substituted Scotland for what I think is the third seeded nation and decided whether or not we would have qualified for knockout stage. Having now seen all the teams play.

Group A sub Scotland for Egypt. No

B Morocco. No

C Denmark or Peru. Maybe

D Nigeria. No

E Serbia No

F  Sweden. No

G Tunisia. Maybe

H. Japan. Maybe

We weren't even close to getting INTO a group so it's hardly surprising that we would have struggled to get out of one.

Just now, Kirk said:

Pretty entertaining games so far and a few surprises, don't think many saw Russia going through, they've played no bad though. 

Yeah it's been great so far. Lots of goals, the focus seems to be on attacking rather than containing and VAR has certainly added a new dimension.

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Did Salah get a game tonight? I never heard his name mentioned.

Well he scored a goal, so pretty sure he was playing.

Just checked, seems he was on for the full 90.

Edited by exile

On a brighter note, when we were qualifying for tournaments, we were still relatively high up the pecking order if you were to rank everyone by position reached including points and say goal difference. I know it's ultimately a fruitless statistic. But still...

In Euro 92 you could say we were 5th in Europe (best record of those not reaching knockout stage: 2 points, goal difference 0).

In 1978 we'd be 11th in world, (3rd best of those not reaching knockout stage, 3 points, goal difference -1) - and note 11th would be enough to get into knockout stage today.

Edited by exile

8 minutes ago, exile said:

In Euro 92 you could say we were 5th in Europe (best record of those not reaching knockout stage: 2 points, goal difference 0).

In 1978 we'd be 11th in world, (3rd best of those not reaching knockout stage, 3 points, goal difference -1) - and note 11th would be enough to get into knockout stage today.

By that measure we were 8th in the world in 1974. Argentina qualified for the last 8 from another group with a worse record than us.

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

By that measure we were 8th in the world in 1974. Argentina qualified for the last 8 from another group with a worse record than us.

It is worse than I thought then as we were in a group of 6 where only one qualified. Using this measure we must be f**k knows what in the world. I was kinda hoping some c**t would cheer me up.

3 minutes ago, macy37 said:

There’s some poor to mediocre teams in this but all is fancy to beat or at least not to lose to us.

Even our strongest squad we could muster right now id still fancy us to struggle in this tournament. Normally it's folk saying we'd do alright every 2 years/these teams are crap etc but  we'd blatantly struggle in almost every department 

3 hours ago, exile said:

Am I seeing things or is the stadium patchy? For a Russian home game at their own finals?

Edit : just as a type the commentators says lots of empty seats in the expensive section.

Own goal reminds me a bit of Iran v Scotland. Or do I have 78 on the brain.

And as usual the commentator was talking balls. They were empty as, like what happens at every big game in England, they were still coming back from their hospitality. 5 minutes later the stadium was full again