Russia 2018 - Page 13 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

i was listening to radio 5 in the car there. The commentary was hilarious. Chris Waddle going on a rant about the crap refs and players play acting.

Also a brilliant moment when the fly problem was discussed. Apparently the venue for tonights game had suffered swarms of flies on previous nights.

"The insect problem isn't too bad up here in the commentary position"

"Maybe the russians poisoned them" 😀

1 minute ago, exile said:

Just saw the highlights. Looked more a penalty than the Tunisian one.. 

Like I said the other night, I've no issue with refs giving seven or eight penalties a game for blatant fouls like the Kane incident, but spare us the trash decisions like the Griezmann one for minimal contact.

Walker was an absolute fud though - that was a penalty every day of the week.

Another late England goal. They got five stoppage time goals in the qualifiers - three of which changed the outcomes of games against us (to draw) and against Slovenia and Slovakia (to win). Without them, we'd have only finished a point behind them. They really have masked how poor England actually have been recently.

4 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Another late England goal. They got five stoppage time goals in the qualifiers - three of which changed the outcomes of games against us (to draw) and against Slovenia and Slovakia (to win). Without them, we'd have only finished a point behind them. They really have masked how poor England actually have been recently.

Yep - can't be arsed looking, but how many of those goals have been down to Harry Kane (Hampden and tonight apart obviously)?

It's a good job the pub put on free kebabs tonight otherwise that would have been a complete waste of beer money. The casual racism from the back bar was marginally more entertaining than the football - I tried to explain that Tunisia is only slightly closer to Pakistan than we are, but it was lost on our village idiot.

9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Yep - can't be arsed looking, but how many of those goals have been down to Harry Kane (Hampden and tonight apart obviously)?

Three of the five stoppage time goals - against us, Malta and Slovenia. Without Kane's goals, it would've been the same situation in terms of England's point lead over us - albeit Slovakia would've still lost to them and England would've drawn in Lithuania.

All fixtures since 2017 in which Kane's scored (England score first):

• Scotland (WCQ) - 2-2 - 1 goal
  • France (FR) - 2-3 - 2 goals
  • Malta (WCQ) - 4-0 - 2 goals
  • Slovenia (WCQ) - 1-0 - 1 goal
  • Lithuania (WCQ) - 1-0 - 1 goal
  • Nigeria (FR) - 2-1 - 1 goal
  • Tunisia (WC) - 2-1 - 2 goals

The outcome would've been the same in only two of these games without Kane's goals - one win; one loss.

Edited by Clyde1998

13 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I thought for the first 30 minutes or so England were as impressive as any team I’ve seen so far.

I thought in the subsequent 60 + 4 minutes they were rotten and clueless.

They are not the worst team in the tournament by any means,  but keep in mind their two goals tonight were from an ace striker off two poorly defended corners.

They created nothing.........absolutely nothing ............from open play tonight.

Edited by Barney Rubble

15 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

They are not the worst team in the tournament by any means,  but keep in mind their two goals tonight were from an ace striker off two poorly defended corners.

They created nothing.........absolutely nothing ............from open play tonight.

They had 3 or 4 really good chances in the first half, I agree they were poor in the final third particularly in the 2nd half, but Tunisia defended well (as I believe they did in qualifying).

Brazil I thought were same other day, great for half an hour, then completely clueless/toothless when Switzerland got back in game.

I agree with the early comments about results flattering England in qualifying and late goals papering over some cracks.

Trying to remove the goals of their main goalscorer seems a bit unfair. :lol: but Harry Kane has proven tonight if there was any doubt he is the main man. When was the last time they had someone deliver like that? Shearer?

26 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Did you watch the first half 😘

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

They had 3 or 4 really good chances in the first half, I agree they were poor in the final third particularly in the 2nd half, but Tunisia defended well (as I believe they did in qualifying).

Brazil I thought were same other day, great for half an hour, then completely clueless/toothless when Switzerland got back in game.

I agree with the early comments about results flattering England in qualifying and late goals papering over some cracks.

Trying to remove the goals of their main goalscorer seems a bit unfair. :lol: but Harry Kane has proven tonight if there was any doubt he is the main man. When was the last time they had someone deliver like that? Shearer?

We were talking about exactly this tonight in my group - Shearer or Kane?

I think Kane. Shearer had a decent supply coming at him from Gazza, Beckham, McManaman et al. Kane has absolutely fuck all to work with from that midfield.

No disrespect intended to Shearer, but Harry Kane is a better striker working with scraps.

He’s actually relatively likeable aswell.

:lol:

I was delighted when they appointed Southgate, I thought he was a loser. To be fair to him, he’s handling things really well. England teams of previous campaigns wouldn’t have got that late goal, and I think  you do make your own luck to an extent....

(i still think/hope they will go out, possibly even to Columbia/Poland in the last 16)

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

The difference is that they manage to scrape through things. We would have lost that never mind got a point. See Hampden v them for reference. They are an average side 

We are a below average side though.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Another late England goal. They got five stoppage time goals in the qualifiers - three of which changed the outcomes of games against us (to draw) and against Slovenia and Slovakia (to win). Without them, we'd have only finished a point behind them. 

Although we also earned 2 wins and 2 draws with last minute goals too.