Tierney - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tierney

Squirrelhumper

To be fair I know of folk who grew up "rangers fans" per se who just lost all interest and didn't see the point in Scottish football and that was before the crash in 2012. Just didn't have the same mentality. Celtic less so, still mad selik fans.

9 hours ago, andyD said:

Not sure how some teams winning games ties to the overall quality of the league improving.
Measuring against yourself is generally a bad way to try and measure change.

The 4 teams that went into europe this season:
Celtic: Made it to the groups, but were then roundly embarrassed. Out at the first opportunity in the Europa league.
Aberdeen: Failed to make the Europa league, knocked out by a diddy team from Cyprus.
Rangers: Failed at the first hurdle, beaten over 2 legs by a side from Luxembourg.
St Johnstone: Failed at the first hurdle, beaten twice by a diddy team from Lithuania.

Feels like an all time low when we can't compete with the might of Cyrpus, Lithuania and Luxembourg.

This is the truth and a sad reflection of how we have fallen.  Celtic are the only club that have maintained a level over the past ten years or so.... mostly due to champions league money.  They will almost certainly win another treble next year and could conceivably win 10, 15, or 20 in a row... it’s all over for the premier league.  

Never underestimate how quickly fitba can change. One bad managerial appointment, a few dodgy signings and the opposite for another team can quickly swing it round. Granted, it will take a lot for anyone to stop Celtic in the next couple of years but after that, who knows. Hopefully them and their evil twins can beat it tae some euro league and give us a genuinely competitive league 

18 hours ago, JECK said:

What do you base that on - thinking Celtic not winning the treble again ?

To be fair it's just an opinion but if you want me to expand on it a bit..... 

Rodgers is a great one for target setting. I'd imagine being more competitive in Europe would be near the top of the list. It's not hard to imagine there might be some heavy squad rotation in early league Cup ties that might see us come a cropper. Also, we had a pretty smooth passage through to this seasons cup final, again it's not hard to imagine a more difficult draw next time that could see us out. We did lose 5 domestic matches this season. 

Personally I would settle for winning the league fairly comfortably along with making some genuine progress in Europe over another treble. Without seeing the draw though, it's hard to quantify what that would look like. 

19 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

The only way Celtic wont win the treble next season, is if they have some sort of meltdown in a one-off cup game.

I'm a season book holder of 14 seasons, and paid at the gate for umpteen seasons before that, but I'm at the stage where I'm seriously considering not renewing and picking and choosing my games next season.

exactly - a competitively won title is more appreciated, than a steamroller - not saying it's tainted or anything - but some of the titles in the 80's were competitie between 3 teams right until say the final 2 games.

Nice to be humping everybody 5-0, but gets to the stage of being like the local bike, that everyone else humped before you