Squad for Mexico and Peru - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Mexico and Peru

PASTA Mick

16 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Greg Taylor's club isn't playing in Europe.

Greg Taylor will be playing in Toulon longer than the full squad will be away in Mexico.

He'll also be playing league cup games from 14th July, which Celtic don't have as they are in Europe.

So in summary, he'll probably be back in pre season exactly the same time as any Celtic player.

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Call me old fashioned but I'd jump at the chance of playing for Scotland in the Azteca stadium.

Amen to that. I remember Berti's tour to HK etc, McFadden getting left behind but probably helped his overall development and hopefully will be the same for those who take their chance in the summer

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I never said you chose celtic over scotland but its clear you are taking the stance that celtic have because its your club.

Lets look at the facts - there are players who will be in europe next season who are going over to Mexico so my idea of the modern players can't be that wrong

Wrong again. I can understand why players from any of our European representatives wouldn't travel. Aberdeen Hibs/Motherwell and (most definitely) Rangers aren't my club.

Especially players who have already featured for the national side and have shown what they can do.

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I don’t.

Same here, it’s 2 opportunities to put yourself in with a shout of a starting place in the Nations Cup games, pity about Fraser but it may be enough for the coaching staff to give up on Ritchie as the majority of the fans have.

54 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Wrong again. I can understand why players from any of our European representatives wouldn't travel. Aberdeen Hibs/Motherwell and (most definitely) Rangers aren't my club.

Especially players who have already featured for the national side and have shown what they can do.

We will have to agree to disagree, you’re posts about Scotland always seem to be Celtic orientated and I don’t think your stance Is a coincidence. You’re clutching at straws with your argument about needing time off and now you’ve change tactic to “we know what they can do”.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

We will have to agree to disagree, you’re posts about Scotland always seem to be Celtic orientated and I don’t think your stance Is a coincidence. You’re clutching at straws with your argument about needing time off and now you’ve change tactic to “we know what they can do”.

I'm not changing my stance about anything, Both are valid reasons not to attend two pointless friendlies, regardless of who they play for. The problem with folks like you is that you can't accept other might see things differently so you accuse them of club bias.

4 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I'm not changing my stance about anything, Both are valid reasons not to attend two pointless friendlies, regardless of who they play for. The problem with folks like you is that you can't accept other might see things differently so you accuse them of club bias.

everyone is entitled to an opinion, even you 👍I just don’t agree with you.

These matches are not pointless and you saying so is proving my point. Players and fans see it as pointless when it should be seen as an opportunity. That’s the tragic part here.

you can argue all day about whether the matches should have been arranged but they are being played and therefore should be treated with respect, especially considering there will be fans paying small fortunes to go but most importantly to gel together and create that togetherness we’ve been missing.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

everyone is entitled to an opinion, even you 👍I just don’t agree with you.

These matches are not pointless and you saying so is proving my point. Players and fans see it as pointless when it should be seen as an opportunity. That’s the tragic part here.

you can argue all day about whether the matches should have been arranged but they are being played and therefore should be treated with respect, especially considering there will be fans paying small fortunes to go but most importantly to gel together and create that togetherness we’ve been missing.

In an ideal world yes I would agree, but as I said earlier, yours is just a romantic notion and not reality. Which is what makes them pointless 

Just now, Scotland Ever More said:

In an ideal world yes I would agree, but as I said earlier, yours is just a romantic notion and not reality. Which is what makes them pointless 

You keep proving my point, thanks.

it should be drilled into our players that these matches are important, the problem is the self interest of the clubs and this new modern notions that the players will be too tired. Giving certain players at certain clubs time off can cause divisions too so this method has no benefit, it feeds the notion that Scotland isn’t important and makes players think they can come and go as they please. No club or players should be given different treatment. 

its not a romantic notion to expect Scotland players to show commitment to the cause. If it’s now classed as a romantic notion to expect this, we would better shutting the door now and forming team GB.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

He's from Aberdeen, probably voted no too.

I can’t see slashers posts unless someone quotes him so thanks. I see he’s still all about club alliegances when it comes to Scotland. Nice whataboutery from him to deflect.

regarding Fraser, as with all Scotland players I’d like to think he is genuinely injured, if he’s not he’s not welcome back in my opinion. 

Do we know why he pulled out?

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I can’t see slashers posts unless someone quotes him so thanks. I see he’s still all about club alliegances when it comes to Scotland. Nice whataboutery from him to deflect.

regarding Fraser, as with all Scotland players I’d like to think he is genuinely injured, if he’s not he’s not welcome back in my opinion. 

Do we know why he pulled out?

Unlike Douglas & Ritchie, there's been no reason given for Fraser.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:28 PM, wanderer said:

Interesting squad, with a number of players rested, or not yet called upon by Eck.

Only thing, I have got a horrible feeling we are going to get a absolute doing over these two games, as it does not look like a squad that can go toe to toe with a team going to the WC..... 

Michael O'Neill took over the NI job six years ago (approx) and his first campaign, qualification for WC2014, was very difficult, to say the least. (The performances weren't so bad, but the results were terrible).

Anyway, he took them to a two match tour of South America in summer 2014, where they played Uruguay and Chile. A very sparse/weakened team ground out two narrow defeats, and seemed to have taken great heart from the trip, with several new players emerging to form part of the team which went on to perform excellently for the following two campaigns (Euro2016 qualification, and WC2018 Play-Offs).

O'Neill often talks about how much he, his staff and the players got out of that trip, both in building morale and also in his getting his ideas across.

And only the other day, he repeated this message in the context of Scotland's forthcoming tour:

"Some of the reaction initially to the [Scotland] tour was poor. I think it's important the clubs try and support the national team.

"For instance we (Northern Ireland) are going to Panama and Costa Rica. Four years ago we went to Uruguay and Chile.

"One of the big things as an international team manager is when you're in a double header in qualification, it's so intense. This is a different environment, it's an easier environment if you're going to bring young players in. It's invaluable.

"It is always different when you play international football and you can only benefit."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44116957

Edited by AwayInAManger

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Saw McRrorie is out the 21s too.

Natural order resumed at Ibrox it seems when it comes to call offs!

To be fair McCrorie is actually injured.

unsure on McGregor - better to give those 3 keepers experience anyway.