Squad for Mexico and Peru - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Mexico and Peru

PASTA Mick

15 minutes ago, 1ANDYP said:

Griffiths has hardly played so cant understand how he needs a rest. And he wanted to go. A couple of humpings in both games i think. 

I imagine there was probably a conversation with celtic.

It's notable that none of their 100% first team players are in the squad: Forrest, McGregor, Tierney.
Hendry's sort of become one, but is still a maybe when thinking about Champions League.

Griffiths is likely to be involved in those Champions League qualifying fixtures in July, especially if Dembele goes this summer.

So yeah, I think we're doing Celtic a favour with a few of the call ups.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

It's notable that none of their 100% first team players are in the squad: Forrest, McGregor, Tierney.
Hendry's sort of become one, but is still a maybe when thinking about Champions League.

Griffiths is likely to be involved in those Champions League qualifying fixtures in July, especially if Dembele goes this summer.

It’s more to do with the game time they got during the season. Those that didn’t get much are on the tour, except Griffiths.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Shinnie, hopefully Stevenson and possibly  McGinn could be involved in European competition very early so why single out the Celtc players for special treatment?

Teirney is overrated to fuck anyway, the biggest myth in Scottish football 

34 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

😂😂😂😂😂

John Souttar

😳😳😳😳😳

J O H N ... S O U T T A R ...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Delighted he’s in the squad.

Only real qualm is Stevenson. Pointless call up and would rather have seen Greg Taylor or Steven Kingsley in the squad as back up left back options. 

Does seem strange there’s only one striker in the squad.

Griffiths is 3rd choice for Celtic at the moment and barely played & Cummings is around the squad - surely both worth inclusion.

Stuart Findlay at Killie is worth a look at too at CB. 

Terrible squad,,,  why are Celtic players like Tierney not picked, why is Berra not picked....  why is Souttar picked ahead of him when Berra has carried him all season - Souttar is a bombscare... way too many mistakes. Hardly a decent striker, no griffiths?  

think we will get pumped up and down.  WAste of time.

Understanably experimental squad for this. The necessity of ensuring rest for some players has led to the chance for the likes of Shinnie, Stevenson, Souttar etc. Some will make the grade, most won't.

The Hungary game brought plenty of positives in the likes of Hendry, McKenna, McGinn, Armstrong, McGregor, Fraser and whisper it in Phillips. Not expecting results in either of these games but a couple of positive performances would be a good springboard.

18 hours ago, andyD said:

No Stephen O'Donnell or Liam Lindsey, who would have been obvious people to take and try.
Some big players missing too.. Tierney, Griffiths, Robertson, Forrest
Absent regulars too.. Ritchie, Cairney, McDonald, Hanley
Still no Berra, Snodgrass, Bannan, Burke, Anya

Can't pick an obvious system from that either.

4 centerbacks suggests we won't do the 'back 5' we say last time out.
1 right back still.. it was stupid when strachan did it.. then mackay.. and now McLeish.
Center mid feels a bit weak..
No idea where Christie, Murphy or Morgan fit in a 352.. trying a 343 maybe?

Some notable faces..
Stevenson.. really? Why take an average 30 year old as your back up wing back?
Souttar.. doesn't seem remotely ready to me.
Shinnie gets another call.. will he play tho?
Murphy.. not sure why.
Morgan.. fair enough. give him a run.
Russell.. in good form in the us. Could work in a 343 with McBurnie and Phillips/Fraser. Leaves us no strikers on the bench tho.

There's some good things about the squads.. there's some just pure stupid things as well tho.

Ritchie is in the squad.

I can understand the omission of Robertson, the Celtic players and those still involved in league play offs. Same with Berra. We know what all these players are capable off. Gordon and Griffiths were both making the right noises and Griffiths especially is a big omission as he hasn't had a huge amount of game time recently.

Stevenson is a strange inclusion. He does bring experience but he isn't the future. Must be a left back from the 21s that could be promoted.

In all, it's a stronger squad than I expected and he's right to try some new players as this is the last chance before the real stuff begins.

15 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s more to do with the game time they got during the season. Those that didn’t get much are on the tour, except Griffiths.

Shinnie, Mclean, Christie, Mckenna, Mcgeouch, Stevenson, Mcginn and Murphy will all potentially be back early like the celtic lot. If they are giving the celtic players a break, the rest should get one too. 

June friendlies or competitive matches are hardly an unknown therefore no team or player should receive special treatment

In his hurry to have a pop at Scotlands finest VA completely forgets that (a) McLean is going to Norwich (don't think they have any Euro qualifiers), (b) McGeough is leaving Hibs and (c) Ryan Christie is errrrm........ a Celtic player! 

😌

12 minutes ago, slasher said:

In his hurry to have a pop at Scotlands finest VA completely forgets that (a) McLean is going to Norwich (don't think they have any Euro qualifiers), (b) McGeough is leaving Hibs and (c) Ryan Christie is errrrm........ a Celtic player! 

😌

maybe a call up for Christie means his Celtic days are over.

17 hours ago, andyD said:

Celtic should be told to do one.

What would have happened had we qualified? Their players would have had an even shorter break.

Can't pick and choose when you play for your country. No wonder we're fucked.

Guys like Ronaldo never miss a game for their country, regardless of when it is and he plays a lot more football than James fcuking Forrest.

Nation of excuses.

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

maybe a call up for Christie means his Celtic days are over.

Don't think so, not yet anyway. Last I heard is that he has till the end of August to prove his worth then maybe let him go towards the end of the window if he doesn't show enough. 

14 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Does seem strange there’s only one striker in the squad.

Griffiths is 3rd choice for Celtic at the moment and barely played & Cummings is around the squad - surely both worth inclusion.

Stuart Findlay at Killie is worth a look at too at CB. 

O'Donnell is way ahead of Findlay in the pecking order for a call up IMO, and he was totally ignored event though we're crying out for a right back, so Findlay has no chance!

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What would have happened had we qualified? Their players would have had an even shorter break.

Guys like Ronaldo never miss a game for their country, regardless of when it is and he plays a lot more football than James fcuking Forrest.

Nation of excuses.

Pathetic post. Well done on playing to the gallery though...... I'm sure there will be a few likey notifications along soon 😏

Edited by slasher

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nation of excuses.

I hear you, but at the same time.. these are two utterly ridiculous friendlies. We're going to get soundly beaten in both games, likely see very little of the ball and it'll all be a bit dispiriting and a waste of time overall. It's very different to had we qualified.

Like it or not, Celtic's progression in the champions league qualification is important to Scottish football. It helps the brand, and that gets more money in that goes to everyone, and a decent amount goes into developing young Scottish players. So it's weighing up priorities really.

To suggest we're f'd because James Forrest isn't going to play Mexico seems a bit of an oversimplification.
McLeish picking slightly weird squads and not being a particularly good manager are probably top of the list.

13 minutes ago, slasher said:

Pathetic post. Well done on playing to the gallery though...... I'm sure there will be a few likey notifications along soon 😏

Not playing to any gallery.....only pathetic thing is how little some players give a shit about playing for Scotland.

Can be rest assured that had Darren Fletcher been called up when he was at Utd, then he'd have been on the plane no questions asked.

Take your Celtic blinkers off for one second.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not playing to any gallery.....only pathetic thing is how little some players give a shit about playing for Scotland.

Can be rest assured that had Darren Fletcher been called up when he was at Utd, then he'd have been on the plane no questions asked.

Take your Celtic blinkers off for one second.

I haven't any on. I do think however any club being asked to provide up to 7 first team players for end of season friendlies who also have Euro qualifiers in July deserve some consideration.