Squad for Mexico and Peru - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Mexico and Peru

PASTA Mick

8 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Maybe, might have been. I know Clyde I think it was got rejected from entering one year because of Rangers. They tried to claim Rutherglen but UEFA said they were from Glasgow 

Aye I think the rules of the Fairs Cup were only one club per city could enter. A combined London team got to the final one year.

Edited by Toepoke

13 hours ago, aaid said:

We also used to play four games in a two year qualifying campaign and hardly any other friendlies.  

In 1978, Liverpool played 6 games to get to the final of the European Cup Final, to get to the final this year, they had to play 14.

There's far too much football these days and it's just getting worse each year. 

There is a lot more football played nowadays but at the same time, players are fitter and stronger than ever before. They are all on better diets too.

The teams who have to play more games also have much bigger squads than the team in the 70's.

50 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There is a lot more football played nowadays but at the same time, players are fitter and stronger than ever before. They are all on better diets too.

The teams who have to play more games also have much bigger squads than the team in the 70's.

I'll grant you that players are fitter and stronger however, they have to be as the game itself is quicker and more intense.   Teams might have bigger squads but the best players - the internationals - tend to play every week. How many games has Tierney played this season. It's got to be around 60.

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'll grant you that players are fitter and stronger however, they have to be as the game itself is quicker and more intense.   Teams might have bigger squads but the best players - the internationals - tend to play every week. How many games has Tierney played this season. It's got to be around 60.

I think the Tierney debate has been done on here, Rodgers had opportunities to rest him and others in certain matches but didn't. Again, I repeat that the fitness levels of players are there to handle these extra matches. I'm sure I read the likes of Miller and MCliesh played an obscene amount of games in the early 80s for that era and they were on the plane to the world cup twice. 

Its the price of being succesful, you end up doing more but its no excuse for skipping international duty.

21 hours ago, Bino's said:

By getting all to go and getting a result, he would have achieved belief

Which is basically what happened to n Ireland

Northern Ireland certainly began to build belief with their trip to the Americas 4 or so years ago, but they suffered lots of drop outs too. MON said he always remembered the players who dropped out and those who had made the effort to come along, and that he favoured that latter group going forward.

19 hours ago, andyD said:

The cynic in me thinks perhaps that's part of why he left out so many 1st choices from the initial squad. Go there with an 'experimental side' so that when we get gubbed he can try and avoid accountability.

Let's not overplay the withdrawals.. Armstrong and Fraser are the only ones that were likely to play any significant part. Maybe Douglas, but since he's the 3rd choice, i'd put him in the "it's experimental" bracket.

Did any of us actually want Ritchie, Hanley, Martin or Souttar to play? None of them are up to par and would probably have just been sitting on the bench anyway.

Hanley wasn't even in the original squad!

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Fair enough, for some reason i'd got it in my head he was.
Do you disagree with the point tho?

I'm not convinced Hanley is as bad as people make out and I think he's in the Berra camp - i.e. he'll be back in come September. But yeah this DBL header was never going to revolve around him anyway.

12 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

I'm not convinced Hanley is as bad as people make out and I think he's in the Berra camp - i.e. he'll be back in come September. But yeah this DBL header was never going to revolve around him anyway.

He’s way shitter than Berra

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:02 PM, ONeils4oyarder said:

I don't feel sorry for football players in the slightest, I'd love a crack at what they do, but when it comes to the most meaningless set of friendlies since we played in Hong Kong, I can see why so many have opted out.

under the last manager to get us to the play-offs

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, scotlad said:

If that team starts one of the games it could possibly be one of the weakest line-ups to ever represent Scotland - on a par with anything fielded during the early days of Berti. 

the halcyon days when we made the play-offs :spin:

who'd have thought we'd look back at that time as the most successful since France '98?

12 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

the halcyon days when we made the play-offs :spin:

who'd have thought we'd look back at that time as the most successful since France '98?

I know. :(

In fairness, we achieved that play-off place after finishing second in a group where we were second seeds. I seriously doubt we'd walk away from four games against Germany and Iceland with 7 points now though, although that says as much about them as it does us.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, vanderark14 said:

I think the Tierney debate has been done on here, Rodgers had opportunities to rest him and others in certain matches but didn't. Again, I repeat that the fitness levels of players are there to handle these extra matches. I'm sure I read the likes of Miller and MCliesh played an obscene amount of games in the early 80s for that era and they were on the plane to the world cup twice. 

Its the price of being succesful, you end up doing more but its no excuse for skipping international duty.

When Miller and McLeish played those games the average distance covered by a player in an international match was 5km, it’s now well over 10 km a match. Playing Saturday, Wednesday back then is the equivalent of playing one game now.

6 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

When Miller and McLeish played those games the average distance covered by a player in an international match was 5km, it’s now well over 10 km a match. Playing Saturday, Wednesday back then is the equivalent of playing one game now.

To be fair when Miller & McLeish we’re playing top players were still smoking 40 a Day washed down with 6 pints.

With the advances in sports science, nutrition and physio/recovery there should be no excuse for a pro not being able to play twice in a week.

On 5/23/2018 at 1:30 PM, Rude Gullit said:

Northern Ireland certainly began to build belief with their trip to the Americas 4 or so years ago, but they suffered lots of drop outs too. MON said he always remembered the players who dropped out and those who had made the effort to come along, and that he favoured that latter group going forward.

Hanley wasn't even in the original squad!

We wouldn't have a squad to speak if he didn't favour the one's that dropped out or were exused

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

100% should be in this squad 

Who'd you drop for him?

He's up against McGinn, McLean, McTominay and Shinnie in this squad.
McGinn and McTominay should be there ahead of Fleck for sure imo.
Shinnie probably deserves an opportunity, he's been pretty consistent for a few seasons now.
Fleck ahead of McLean, maybe? He's had a few caps and not really shown much.

6 hours ago, andyD said:

Who'd you drop for him?

He's up against McGinn, McLean, McTominay and Shinnie in this squad.
McGinn and McTominay should be there ahead of Fleck for sure imo.
Shinnie probably deserves an opportunity, he's been pretty consistent for a few seasons now.
Fleck ahead of McLean, maybe? He's had a few caps and not really shown much.

Wouldn’t drop anyone for him would just have him in too - Armstrong’s replacement if nothing else. 

Goodness knows how we'll get on but I see that a very youthful experimental Welsh side has just drawn  0 - 0 away to Mexico.  I'm sure that for all those involved they'll take some massive positives from that game yet all some people do is bleat about Scotland playing a couple of games in S. America.