Squad for Mexico and Peru - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Mexico and Peru

PASTA Mick

22 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Completely pointless trip, where we will learn nothing.  Be as well cancelling it.

It’s becoming farcical with some of the players called up now & we are likely to get two cuffings.

Some friendlies closer to home would have made more sense and seen us with more players available. 

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It’s becoming farcical with some of the players called up now & we are likely to get two cuffings.

Some friendlies closer to home would have made more sense and seen us with more players available. 

I suspect way fewer call offs if we had done.  The SFA really are balloons sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I suspect way fewer call offs if we had done.  The SFA really are balloons sometimes.

I do think us playing more matches is a good idea so agree with having games - just think closer to home and against teams more our level would have been wiser.

Cringing at the thought of Lewis Stevenson & Steven O’Donnell starting these matches FFS. 

Surely with Ritchie and Fraser dropping out we might of seen Burke getting called up. Would of been better off having games closer to home, would of had more players available. As for Fraser, I don't blame him dropping out. Guy doesn't get a start while underperformers like forrest, Phillips and Ritchie get games constantly.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely with Ritchie and Fraser dropping out we might of seen Burke getting called up. Would of been better off having games closer to home, would of had more players available. As for Fraser, I don't blame him dropping out. Guy doesn't get a start while underperformers like forrest, Phillips and Ritchie get games constantly.

*have (x3).

Goalkeepers

Jordan Archer (Millwall)
Scott Bain (Celtic)
Jon McLaughlin (Hearts)

Defenders

Jack Hendry (Celtic)
Scott McKenna (Aberdeen)
Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers)

Stephen O’Donnell (Kilmarnock)
Callum Paterson (Cardiff City)
Lewis Stevenson (Hibernian)

Midfielders
Chris Cadden (Motherwell)
Dylan McGeouch (Hibernian)
John McGinn (Hibernian)
Kenny McLean (Aberdeen)*
Scott McTominay (Manchester United)
Jamie Murphy (Rangers)
Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen)

Forwards                                                            Ryan Christie (Aberdeen)***
Oliver McBurnie (Barnsley)****
Lewis Morgan (St. Mirren)***
Matt Phillips (West Bromwich Albion)
Johnny Russell (Sporting Kansas City)

*On loan from Norwich City
***On loan from Celtic
****On loan from Swansea

I think we should be questioning the attitude of players towards the national team rather than complaining about the games. It does not matter who the friendlies are against there are always call offs. Northern Ireland are doing a similar trip and only had 1 call off. This was a great chance for some fringe/first time call ups to shine. It's a 10 day trip in the sunshine play 2 games then still get a holiday before the season starts. I hope everyone that does go takes over from those who have pulled out. Especially Matt Ritchie. That fud should never get called up again!

1 hour ago, Parsno1 said:

I think we should be questioning the attitude of players towards the national team rather than complaining about the games. It does not matter who the friendlies are against there are always call offs. Northern Ireland are doing a similar trip and only had 1 call off. This was a great chance for some fringe/first time call ups to shine. It's a 10 day trip in the sunshine play 2 games then still get a holiday before the season starts. I hope everyone that does go takes over from those who have pulled out. Especially Matt Ritchie. That fud should never get called up again!

Bang on. There is a real lack of commitment from our players. There are genuine reasons such as Robertson being in the CL final but the likes of Ritchie and Fraser pull out of the squad far too often for it to be just injuries.

Totally frustrating as we feel further away than ever before from qualifying. 26 years old and I barely remember the 98 World Cup. A whole generation of fans have been starved of the joy of qualification.

29 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Bang on. There is a real lack of commitment from our players. There are genuine reasons such as Robertson being in the CL final but the likes of Ritchie and Fraser pull out of the squad far too often for it to be just injuries.

Totally frustrating as we feel further away than ever before from qualifying. 26 years old and I barely remember the 98 World Cup. A whole generation of fans have been starved of the joy of qualification.

Arranging these games waa a money-making stunt by Regan. The players are effectively being used for financial gain.  No doubt they’ll be couped up in economy class as usual. If this was about football, they’d have a couple of games in Europe. 

41 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Arranging these games waa a money-making stunt by Regan. The players are effectively being used for financial gain.  No doubt they’ll be couped up in economy class as usual. If this was about football, they’d have a couple of games in Europe. 

N Ireland last S American tour was the springboard for their success

Our players just don't give a f*ck

Apologies if mentioned on here, but my pal sent me a link from Sky (I think) in the difference in experience of squads. Mindblowing, but then again the Mexicans and Peruvians are going to Russia and we're not.

Hopefully the lads do a good turn, and we'll see a good few debuts. A pity though if we get hammered and then have to play Belgium before starting the Nations League - in a very favorable group.

Let's see what happens.

On the plus side for some I imagine, the squad is very 'Scottish'.

8 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Apologies if mentioned on here, but my pal sent me a link from Sky (I think) in the difference in experience of squads. Mindblowing, but then again the Mexicans and Peruvians are going to Russia and we're not.

Hopefully the lads do a good turn, and we'll see a good few debuts. A pity though if we get hammered and then have to play Belgium before starting the Nations League - in a very favorable group.

Let's see what happens.

On the plus side for some I imagine, the squad is very 'Scottish'.

There was a very good discussion on sportsound with Michael oneil. He was discussing players from other nations who are at 50 caps in their mid 20s but for some reason Scotland's players aren't there.

I'll see if I can find it on BBC but it backed up the lack of commitment from players argument.

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Charlie Mulgrew could easily pull out like the rest but genuinely seems to take pride in playing for us. 

I'm far from his biggest fan but can't argue with his commitment over the last couple of years.

10 hours ago, Bino's said:

N Ireland last S American tour was the springboard for their success

Our players just don't give a f*ck

agree with this except it's.not all players are committed despite playing long hard season and European matches looming in less than 6 weeks.

Other countries see friendlies as a chance to prepare and build towards qualification for a major tournament. Some of ours see it as rest time. That's the difference between us and those who want to qualify.

By allowing players to skip this, McLeish may end up creating divisions, it's certainmy doesn't create unity which is what we need more than anything.

Edited by vanderark14

McLaughlin

Hendry Mulgrew McKenna

Paterson McGinn McTominay McGeouch Shinnie

Phillips

Russell

Would be my first choice XI out of that squad.

Plenty of pace and energy which is required.

Only positive out of all the call offs is that the same back 3 from Budapest who were excellent will be playing together again you'd assume.

The thing is we used to play 3 home international games in a week at the end of every season with not many call offs other than maybe Liverpool's European cup players . These players just don' have the same commitment . I know it's in South America  and those games were at home but I still think some of these players need to question themselves 

8 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

These players just don' have the same commitment . I know it's in South America  and those games were at home but I still think some of these players need to question themselves 

Aye and you can say what you like about Matt Phillips and how he fits into our plans as many on here have on many occasions -  but he turns up. No doubt, now that I have added this comment he will withdraw with a mystery injury.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

The SFA are the ones in the wrong on this occasion, arranging two friendlies on the other side of the planet is just stupidity beyond belief

Bollocks

Plenty teams are travelling far distances for matches in June. 

The commitment of the players and lack of respect shown to the national team is the problem. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Bollocks

Plenty teams are travelling far distances for matches in June. 

The commitment of the players and lack of respect shown to the national team is the problem. 

Bollocks

When it comes to the only time of the year when you can spend some unbroken time with your friends and family, and an employer (who doesnt even pay you the going rate) asks you to take 10days, or whatever it is, out of that schedule to participate in something utterly pointless, for the benefit of no one other than the organisation, then I'm not surprised the employees have pretty much, en-masse told them to stick it up their arse.

We then compound the issue, by actively allowing certain players from certain teams, to rule themselves out prior to the squad being named...no wonder, others have been a bit peeved at that.

If it was about, squad building, team-morale, allowing McLeish a couple of games to understand more about the players available to him, we'd have invited Mexico and Peru (or umpteen other options) to us, hell, they are coming to Europe at some point this Summer anyway...but its not about that really, is it? Its about the SFA picking the wrong bloody options, for their own gain no doubt.

The national team has had an issue, for as long as I've been a football follower, of players pulling out of friendly matches...the way to combat that, most certainly isn't by trying to drag a selected few half way across the globe.