Squad for Mexico and Peru - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Mexico and Peru

PASTA Mick

19 minutes ago, andyD said:

Can't be bothered to repeat myself, you clearly read nothing i wrote.

I could say the same of you

18 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

Can you pair get a room?

You don't need to read it

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fraser out the squad now?

So frustrating

Michael O'Neil was on sportsound, if I heard hm right he said they only had one player making themselves unavailable for their upcoming friendlies.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:29 PM, vanderark14 said:

Oh well, we've not had a competitive league for a long time, we might as well shut up and forget it. 

I have plenty perspective, thanks. Celtics turnover is that high because they get the CL cash, without it they can't attract the calibre of player they have therefore the gap shortens. 

You may think sponsorship and tv deals is the most important but some of us don't , does it actually help us produce better players? no it doesn't. Lets look at the evidence......since money became the biggest factor in football we've been to 0 tournaments and barely produced a half decent player. Meanwhile teams with worse domestic competitions have been to the latter stages of tournaments with some doing spectacularly well..............Wales, N.ireland, Rep of Ire, Iceland etc. You will have to explain to me where this value is? 

As for our clubs fostering young talent, most are forced to play their own because they do not have the money to buy players. It has nothing to do with sponsors or CL money. 

A point well made.

The focus is all about making more money (better tv deals basically) as if that is going to save Scottish Football. When experience tells us that money has heehaw to do with it. EPL revenue vs English national team performance is a case in point. The play off semi for the EPL last night is another case in point. Shite.

Live within our means. Get fans through the gates with competitive and entertaining games (as we are doing now!). Forget the TV deals and European pish. Put the money we do have in the hands of the coaches and use the passion we have, all over this country, to build a decent national team from the grassroots.

Easily said. But it's all about choices. Put the European and Sky crack pipe down and choose life/football.

Edited by Morrisandmoo

On 5/14/2018 at 10:54 PM, Malcolm said:

Terrible squad,,,  why are Celtic players like Tierney not picked, why is Berra not picked....  why is Souttar picked ahead of him when Berra has carried him all season - Souttar is a bombscare... way too many mistakes. Hardly a decent striker, no griffiths?  

think we will get pumped up and down.  WAste of time.

Cos he's played more games than anyone in Europe this season and a rest would be better for him than attending a summer knees up for the SFA blazers?

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Sums up the Scottish mentality. Two friendlies too far away seen as a hinderence  meanwhile other countries just get on with it.

Aye I'm sure no other countries' message boards say similar about pointless friendlies like this, just Scotland.

It's not just the distance, it's the timing as well. The start of June when 4 of our clubs start playing in Europe in mid July. Folk are using the argument that "if we had qualified they'd have been playing anyway" clearly just don't get it.

Edited by Scotland Ever More

Number of withdrawals and non selection due to clubs are annoying but not at all surprising. The Italy and France games in 2016 did little to boost morale ahead of the Euros. Looking increasingly like these two friendlies will be as bad.

Important that this trip is put to better use in building bonds off the park. Understandable the likes of Griffiths getting operated on but Ritchie constantly withdrawing is hardly good for team building. Problematic when half the squad is missing.

Found Michael O'Neill interesting when he said on Sportsound that you need more club buy in to succeed at international level. In the last 15-20 years, there's been little of that. Little vision beyond each club's own interests. Hence both the national team and club teams being left for dead in Europe.

43 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Aye I'm sure no other countries' message boards say similar about pointless friendlies like this, just Scotland.

It's not just the distance, it's the timing as well. The start of June when 4 of our clubs start playing in Europe in mid July. Folk are using the argument that "if we had qualified they'd have been playing anyway" clearly just don't get it.

These trips are a great opportunity to get the squad together to create a good team spirit, listening to Michael O'neil talk about one player not being available made me jealous of what they have but also angry. I understand where you are coming from, you are clearly a very passionate Celtic fan and that will take priority over Scotland for you, some of us want our best players available for Scotland for every match, the more they are together and the more they play together can only be a benefit. Its no surprise that Scotland improved when we had a large Celtic contingent who run through brick walls for each other............thats the type of spirit we want ingrained on the National team.

Allowing some players time off  allows others to think this is not important and that will extend to the fans.....................as we clearly see. I would be willing to bet you'd be all for this if Brendan had said this is a great opportunity for Alex to start building a team for the next campaign and all the celtic boys will be available, you will obviously deny it though.

We maybe have 4 clubs in Europe but thats no excuse to sacrifice the national team IMO. Some of those players who will have European football in July are going on the plane to Mexico so why can't the rest? 

I'm not just talking about fans on message boards, I am talking about players too. I have long since suspected that our players treat the national team as an after thought, of course I have no proof and we will never truly know if I am right or not but it is my opinion. Strachan and his "they don't get paid" used to piss me off. The attitude across the board needs to change, regardless of which club we support we should want our best players playing for Scotland. 

To be honest, I made a mistake comparing us to other nations, fuck what everyone else does, we should do whats right for Scotland and thats having every player available for each match assuming they are fit. If it wasn't this friendly it would be one mid season where we would still see players, coaches and their fans whining about much needed time off for players. 

13 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Number of withdrawals and non selection due to clubs are annoying but not at all surprising. The Italy and France games in 2016 did little to boost morale ahead of the Euros. Looking increasingly like these two friendlies will be as bad.

Important that this trip is put to better use in building bonds off the park. Understandable the likes of Griffiths getting operated on but Ritchie constantly withdrawing is hardly good for team building. Problematic when half the squad is missing.

Found Michael O'Neill interesting when he said on Sportsound that you need more club buy in to succeed at international level. In the last 15-20 years, there's been little of that. Little vision beyond each club's own interests. Hence both the national team and club teams being left for dead in Europe.

Excellent point, I couldn't agree more

It's got fuck all to do with choosing Celtic over Scotland (I actually stopped following Celtic abroad to keep going to Scotland away game instead so you're wrong there) and everything to do with being a realist. Players these days are going to prioritise getting a rest and being prepared for Europe with their clubs over shite friendlies on other continents against teams going to the world cup while we watch from home again 

Your idea of modern day players being desperate to play any time and anywhere for their country might be romantic, but it isn't real life I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Cos he's played more games than anyone in Europe this season and a rest would be better for him than attending a summer knees up for the SFA blazers?

Greg Taylor has played more minutes than McGregor or Forrest but he's happy to go to Toulon.

Honing your skills by playing club football at the highest level is apparently great for Scotland if you're Andy Robertson. But if you're doing it with a Celtic kit on its apparently bad for the game and does nothing for the national team. 

The grand scale hypocrisy and irony on this thread is as fascinating as it is unsurprising. 😎

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

It's got fuck all to do with choosing Celtic over Scotland (I actually stopped following Celtic abroad to keep going to Scotland away game instead so you're wrong there) and everything to do with being a realist. Players these days are going to prioritise getting a rest and being prepared for Europe with their clubs over shite friendlies on other continents against teams going to the world cup while we watch from home again 

Your idea of modern day players being desperate to play any time and anywhere for their country might be romantic, but it isn't real life I'm afraid.

I never said you chose celtic over scotland but its clear you are taking the stance that celtic have because its your club.

Lets look at the facts - there are players who will be in europe next season who are going over to Mexico so my idea of the modern players can't be that wrong