Squad for Mexico and Peru - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Mexico and Peru

PASTA Mick

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Rumours on SM that Morgan and Stevenson are to be called up.

This could be our weakest squad of all time. 

Whilst I really don't get the inclusion of a 30 year old Stevenson in one of our strongest positions, I'm not sure how the mention of 2 players in a 22 man squad equates in your mind to "could be our weakest squad of all time"?? You don't half post some keech on this board. 

It may indeed end up being one of our weakest squads of all time, but the mere mention of Morgan and Stevenson doesn't make it so. 

5 hours ago, Marky said:

Whilst I really don't get the inclusion of a 30 year old Stevenson in one of our strongest positions, I'm not sure how the mention of 2 players in a 22 man squad equates in your mind to "could be our weakest squad of all time"?? You don't half post some keech on this board. 

It may indeed end up being one of our weakest squads of all time, but the mere mention of Morgan and Stevenson doesn't make it so. 

I think Stevenson does suggest a very poor squad. Think of all the left-backs we have and this is one of the ones we are picking. 

We all know this is going to be a weakened squad but the mention of Morgan and you get all grumpy. :lol:

I think this squad will be a mixture of strachans and Ecks last one, with a number of players coming and going....

The championship play off final will have some effect, as a Aston Villa v Fulham (and Derby to a dregree) will see a few players unable to hook up (Snoddy, Cairney, McDonald etc)... so chances are we are already a few players down before squad is even announced.

Morgan is no great surprise, while Stevenson is (but not one I am all that bothered to see in the squad... Eck is trying out new idea's and shown he will call up anyone).

I suspect we will also see call up's for Bates, Souttar and got a feeling on Cochrane (as he was not included in the squad for the Toulan Cup).

36 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think this squad will be a mixture of strachans and Ecks last one, with a number of players coming and going....

The championship play off final will have some effect, as a Aston Villa v Fulham (and Derby to a dregree) will see a few players unable to hook up (Snoddy, Cairney, McDonald etc)... so chances are we are already a few players down before squad is even announced.

Morgan is no great surprise, while Stevenson is (but not one I am all that bothered to see in the squad... Eck is trying out new idea's and shown he will call up anyone).

I suspect we will also see call up's for Bates, Souttar and got a feeling on Cochrane (as he was not included in the squad for the Toulan Cup).

Cochrane would be better having a rest.

I think it's safe to say we'll see a highly experimental squad for these 2 fixtures, far from what we'd consider our full strength team. Although with the 2 opponents effectively trialling World Cup squads, hopefully the results aren't too demoarlising... 

Interesting squad, with a number of players rested, or not yet called upon by Eck.

Only thing, I have got a horrible feeling we are going to get a absolute doing over these two games, as it does not look like a squad that can go toe to toe with a team going to the WC..... 

27 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Are these two games going to be on TV?

Can't see any mention of it anywhere.

Games kick off at 1am and 2am U.K. time, imagine BBC will pick it up rather than show reruns of things like Citizan Khan and like during the graveyard shift.

No Stephen O'Donnell or Liam Lindsey, who would have been obvious people to take and try.
Some big players missing too.. Tierney, Griffiths, Robertson, Forrest
Absent regulars too.. Ritchie, Cairney, McDonald, Hanley
Still no Berra, Snodgrass, Bannan, Burke, Anya

Can't pick an obvious system from that either.

4 centerbacks suggests we won't do the 'back 5' we say last time out.
1 right back still.. it was stupid when strachan did it.. then mackay.. and now McLeish.
Center mid feels a bit weak..
No idea where Christie, Murphy or Morgan fit in a 352.. trying a 343 maybe?

Some notable faces..
Stevenson.. really? Why take an average 30 year old as your back up wing back?
Souttar.. doesn't seem remotely ready to me.
Shinnie gets another call.. will he play tho?
Murphy.. not sure why.
Morgan.. fair enough. give him a run.
Russell.. in good form in the us. Could work in a 343 with McBurnie and Phillips/Fraser. Leaves us no strikers on the bench tho.

There's some good things about the squads.. there's some just pure stupid things as well tho.

1 minute ago, JECK said:

How many call offs from that squad do u reckon.

Probably not masses.. like you say, most are fringe players, so should be looking for the opportunity. if the likes of McLean, Shinnine, Souttar, Stevenson drop out.. then I'm not sure we should be rushing to include them again. This is their chance to play for Scotland and stake a claim.

11 minutes ago, andyD said:

1 right back still.. it was stupid when strachan did it.. then mackay.. and now McLeish.

I'm guessing Fraser will get to play right wing back / right back again? That's my thoughts on why SOD was left out, with Paterson also in the squad...

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'm guessing Fraser will get to play right wing back / right back again? That's my thoughts on why SOD was left out, with Paterson also in the squad...

Maybe in a 352. But then we have a handful of other players who don't really fit in that system and would need a 343.

McGregor
Hendry - Mulgrew - McKenna
Fraser - McGinn - Armstrong - McTominay - Douglas
McBurnie - Phillips

or

McGregor
Hendry - Mulgrew - McKenna
Fraser - Armstrong - McTominay - Douglas
Russell/Christie - McBurnie/Phillips - Morgan/Murphy

343 seems suicidal to me tho.. Peru and Mexico.. 11th and 15th in the fifa rankings.
Don't see how we fit these guys in a 352 tho: Russell, Christie, Morgan, Murphy.
I guess Russell could play as part of a front 2. Christie linking behind a number 9?