Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Any dentists out there? Unlikely I know.

A couple of months ago a could feel a something had chipped off one of my back teeth. I left it for a while then decided I had better get it checked out even though it wasnt giving me any pain. I hadnt been to the dentist for a few years as I had no problems and my dentist was located out the way a bit. 

So i registered with a local dentist who had been recommended and went for a check up. They took xrays. I needed 2 fillings and they also suggested i get a crown replaced. One of the fillings was the tooth I knew about, the other had  given me no problem. 

I got the fillings done just over a week ago and immediately had pain from the tooth I had previously had no problems with. I gave it a week but it wasnt any better so went back. The dentist took an xray and said there was some inflammation and she could either ‘dress’ the tooth and see if it settled down at which time she would fill it back up with a filling. Or she could give me root canal treatment . Wtf, I had just paid 70 quid for a filling in a tooth which had being giving me no pain amd now she is suggesting root canal. 

I chose the dressing but I am still getting toothache whenever i eat anything. It lasts for anything up to an hour. It then goes away until the next time i eat something. I dont know what to to. She didnt seem convinced that she knew what the problem was. 

Is it normal for a tooth to become a problem after treatment and could it still settle down ? Or if I need root canal do I need to pay the full amount given I have paid 70 quid for a filling  which she has now drilled out again ? 

The whole thing is driving me mad. The dentist only works Wednesdays and Thursdays which i wasnt told when I signed up  and i had to take 2 1/2 hours away from work on Thursday  to go back to see her as she couldnt give me an early morning or evening appointment. Then she stood telling me how busy she was and that she was getting an extension built and had to get out her house for the whole of july and had to choose all the and flooring and fittings blah blah blah. Aye and my root canal is probably paying for her top of the range coffee machine 🙄

 Can you tell I have toothache ?

Seriously though, any suggestions? 

 

Edited by TDYER63
.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Seriously though, any suggestions? 

Only go to a North American dentist.

(And I am being serious.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They’re a shower of robbing bastards

Tell me something I dont know.

I would be as well downing a pint of gloopy jobby smoothie and getting you to pull it out. Have you got anything planned for tonight ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Only go to a North American dentist.

(And I am being serious.)

Hmm, well I cant be certain but I am fairly sure there is distinct lack of North American dentists in Paisley, and I may need  even more than 2 1/2 hours away from work for the alternative . 

Can I ask why ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

root canal i would imagine is only being suggested if there is inflammation in the root

is there pain when hot or cold drinks ?  if from hot drinks this is the bacteria gasses bouncing around i think 

unlikely you will get discount for the filling, although I have seen my dentist not charging for extraction 3 months after a root canal

Its possible it will settle down - I have a habit of having cracked teeth & 1 got a filling few months back - 2 weeks of severe pain, which has not gone now - although does not mean i might not need root canal treatment

gettingan implant in July for the removed Molar  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

root canal i would imagine is only being suggested if there is inflammation in the root

is there pain when hot or cold drinks ?  if from hot drinks this is the bacteria gasses bouncing around i think 

unlikely you will get discount for the filling, although I have seen my dentist not charging for extraction 3 months after a root canal

Its possible it will settle down - I have a habit of having cracked teeth & 1 got a filling few months back - 2 weeks of severe pain, which has not gone now - although does not mean i might not need root canal treatment

gettingan implant in July for the removed Molar  

No pain from hot drinks and only from very cold drinks. Its mainly after eating. I think I will leave it for a bit longer to see if it does settle down. 

I just have this very bad menory of being in England with work a few years ago and having terrible toothache. Was so bad I couldnt sleep and i had no painkillers. The hotel wouldnt give me anything as they wouldnt have been insured. Turns out it was an abcess, i looked like a chipmunk by the time i got home. That was the only time i have ever  needed root canal.

 I am going to London for 2 days next week and fear a repeat 😩

Yes, I doubt I will get any discount if I need root canal. Its a bloody joke. My husband is an auto electrician. If someone came to him with a problem wirh their car and he diagnosed an additional problem which the customer wasnt aware of , then he tinkered about with and actually made it worse, he would need to sort it at his own cost. 

Never mind. I am out for a bevvy tonight, at least I will have some anaesthetic to numb the pain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

No pain from hot drinks and only from very cold drinks. Its mainly after eating. I think I will leave it for a bit longer to see if it does settle down. 

I just have this very bad menory of being in England with work a few years ago and having terrible toothache. Was so bad I couldnt sleep and i had no painkillers. The hotel wouldnt give me anything as they wouldnt have been insured. Turns out it was an abcess, i looked like a chipmunk by the time i got home. That was the only time i have ever  needed root canal.

 I am going to London for 2 days next week and fear a repeat 😩

Yes, I doubt I will get any discount if I need root canal. Its a bloody joke. My husband is an auto electrician. If someone came to him with a problem wirh their car and he diagnosed an additional problem which the customer wasnt aware of , then he tinkered about with and actually made it worse, he would need to sort it at his own cost. 

Never mind. I am out for a bevvy tonight, at least I will have some anaesthetic to numb the pain.  

I typically try to keep a stock of Amoxycillin for bacteria problems  - procured in Kenya & Mauritious with no presecritpion & just robbed some off my brother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

No pain from hot drinks and only from very cold drinks. Its mainly after eating. I think I will leave it for a bit longer to see if it does settle down. 

I just have this very bad menory of being in England with work a few years ago and having terrible toothache. Was so bad I couldnt sleep and i had no painkillers. The hotel wouldnt give me anything as they wouldnt have been insured. Turns out it was an abcess, i looked like a chipmunk by the time i got home. That was the only time i have ever  needed root canal.

 I am going to London for 2 days next week and fear a repeat 😩

Yes, I doubt I will get any discount if I need root canal. Its a bloody joke. My husband is an auto electrician. If someone came to him with a problem wirh their car and he diagnosed an additional problem which the customer wasnt aware of , then he tinkered about with and actually made it worse, he would need to sort it at his own cost. 

Never mind. I am out for a bevvy tonight, at least I will have some anaesthetic to numb the pain.  

I don’t know if this is possible but maybe try to see your GP, explain the situation and see if she’ll provide a prescription for antibiotics just in case. 

As your wee kiddy onny GP I prescribe alcohol pre and post concert tomorrow night.

Or looking at time, tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, G-Man said:

I don’t know if this is possible but maybe try to see your GP, explain the situation and see if she’ll provide a prescription for antibiotics just in case. 

As your wee kiddy onny GP I prescribe alcohol pre and post concert tomorrow night.

Or looking at time, tonight. 

Well the kiddy on prescription worked last night . It even managed to obliterate the eurovision song contest. 

Thats a decent suggestion re the GP, might call them tomorrow.

Meanwhile it will be another dose of self medication tonight. I have the stetson and leather chaps ready. 🎼🕺👢🍺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Well the kiddy on prescription worked last night . It even managed to obliterate the eurovision song contest. 

Thats a decent suggestion re the GP, might call them tomorrow.

Meanwhile it will be another dose of self medication tonight. I have the stetson and leather chaps ready. 🎼🕺👢🍺

😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

 Can I ask why ? 

The state of teeth here compared to the state of teeth there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fringo said:

😃

Come on, you know you want to!!! I’ve seen Tidy’s cowboy outfit and I’m fairly sure she’ll end up on the stage swinging her Stetson and belting out “it ain’t my fault” while swigging from her bottle of tequila. 🤩🤩

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Well the kiddy on prescription worked last night . It even managed to obliterate the eurovision song contest. 

Thats a decent suggestion re the GP, might call them tomorrow.

Meanwhile it will be another dose of self medication tonight. I have the stetson and leather chaps ready. 🎼🕺👢🍺

Ski lesson? :oops:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

The state of teeth here compared to the state of teeth there.

I would say that is probably more due to with education and oral hygiene than better dentists, though of course they may indeed be better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Ski lesson? :oops:

Lesson no 2 next Sunday . The theory could be tested ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 2:37 PM, G-Man said:

Come on, you know you want to!!! I’ve seen Tidy’s cowboy outfit and I’m fairly sure she’ll end up on the stage swinging her Stetson and belting out “it ain’t my fault” while swigging from her bottle of tequila. 🤩🤩

@ Fringo, my prediction was spot on.  🤠🤠

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, G-Man said:

@ Fringo, my prediction was spot on.  🤠🤠

At least it took my mind off my toothache.

You forgot the feather in the hat. And Mr Tidys square toe cowboy boots. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

At least it took my mind off my toothache.

You forgot the feather in the hat. And Mr Tidys square toe cowboy boots. 

I remembered them in the car and had another laugh. Obsessed with looking at men’s boots now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you think there would be no dentists on TAMB?  We don't all follow the rugby.

£70 is for a private filling I presume.  

On the NHS if a filling is replaced within a year it is free.  You would just pay for the root treatment and any xrays needed.  Your private dentist may do the same - just ask.

The dentist probably filled the tooth in the hope that it would settle down without needing root treatment.  Unfortunately that hasn't worked.  In that situation it is either root treatment or extraction.

Antibiotics is only a short term fix.  The tooth needs sorted or the problem will come back.

Your new dentist is trying her best.  Not every treatment is successful, and pain is no reflection on the quality of treatment.  Best follow her advice and get the tooth sorted as she suggests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ayr Storm said:

Why would you think there would be no dentists on TAMB?  We don't all follow the rugby.

£70 is for a private filling I presume.  

On the NHS if a filling is replaced within a year it is free.  You would just pay for the root treatment and any xrays needed.  Your private dentist may do the same - just ask.

The dentist probably filled the tooth in the hope that it would settle down without needing root treatment.  Unfortunately that hasn't worked.  In that situation it is either root treatment or extraction.

Antibiotics is only a short term fix.  The tooth needs sorted or the problem will come back.

Your new dentist is trying her best.  Not every treatment is successful, and pain is no reflection on the quality of treatment.  Best follow her advice and get the tooth sorted as she suggests.

I thought it was unlikely there would be any dentists as it is a pretty niche market, not because of a presumption you all supported rugby. I would have said the same if I was looking for a vet. There are a number of intelligent  posters on this board. 

Not me I hasten to add🙂

 The fact you are the only dentist to respond  would suggest there is not a plethora of them out there. 

But thanks for taking the time to respond. 

It was an NHS dentist and when I was told I needed 2 fillings I decided to get white fillings as I have been thinking for a while that they would make my teeth look better. I had actually contemplated getting them all changed a few months ago  if I could afford to , but just decided to change them as and when they needed it. 

No mention was made of root canal treatment on my first visit despite xrays being taken,  and I had no pain from  it before the visit. She said it was a small straightforward filling. Until I had pain afterwards. 

I have since read on the internet that it can take a few weeks for a composite filling to settle. Would you agree with that? I am still getting a bit of discomfort when I eat, I dont know if I am imagining it     but it may be getting a little bit better. I have an appointment a week on Thursday at which time I should be getting the tooth refilled  if it has settled. In your professionsl opinion , would you expect it to have settled by then if it was going to ? 

I am sure the dentist is doing her best but a couple of other things  happened which i wont  bore you with but which did not form a great first impression. I can assure you, I am not an overly fussy person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can take time for composite fillings to settle.  Indeed amalgam fillings can take time to settle also, but it is more common with composite.. A composite filling is glued into the cavity.  As the composite sets it contracts a tiny amount which can set up some stresses within the tooth.  This can lead to some tenderness.

What you are looking for is that the tooth feels a bit better as each day goes by.  If the tooth is beginning to settle, the replacement filling can sometimes be placed over the dressing and thus avoid disturbing the deepest part of the cavity.  It does sound hopeful that it is settling.

If your dentist has digital xrays, then ask to see them on the computer monitor and ask the dentist to explain what they mean to you.  She should point out the decay and the pulp of the tooth where the nerve is.  This should help you to feel a bit more confidence in the diagnosis and treatment.

"It wasn't sore until she filled it" is not unusual.  All I would say is that if the decay was left to spread it would eventually lead to pain.  Restoring a small cavity is more likely to be successful than decay that has become more extensive.

Best wishes

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs D, some sound advice there, I think you should go to Ayr for your treatment.

Hope you don’t need emergency treatment when you’re over here shortly, Mandy just paid £295 for 2 fillings.

As your brother will tell you dentistry in Jersey is a license to print money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This must be the most blatant "Auld wummin boasting about still having her own teeth" thread I have ever seen. You should think yourself lucky that you still have teeth to moan aboot.:lol:

Edited by Orraloon
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×