World Cup Finals 2026 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Finals 2026

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Ormond said:

In today’s news FIFA are talking about the possibility of increasing the World Cup’s size in time for Qatar 2022. 

Saw that. I wonder how they think they can pull that off in time?

I suppose they could just flog another pile of slaves into building a few more stadia. 

On 10/31/2018 at 3:48 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

Saw that. I wonder how they think they can pull that off in time?

I suppose they could just flog another pile of slaves into building a few more stadia. 

If it happens, it would include other countries - most likely Saudi Arabia and/or the UAE. I know that both have a few stadia already that could be used for the World Cup, which may reduce the need to build anymore. It'll likely happen, just to cover FIFA's arse over the stupidity of Qatar hosting a tournament like this.

On 5/9/2018 at 6:34 PM, shaggycoo said:

Hadn't realised it was a US/Canada/Mexico bid, thought it was just USA...

I have a couple of mates here in Ottawa that are involved with "Soccer Canada". They are really pushing hard for this to hapoen. Apparently it is looking good as there is alot of support from the football communities. Football is massive here in Canada. Only problem is the national team is poor and has no hope of qualifying unless they host I believe if I am correct..

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I have a couple of mates here in Ottawa that are involved with "Soccer Canada". They are really pushing hard for this to hapoen. Apparently it is looking good as there is alot of support from the football communities. Football is massive here in Canada. Only problem is the national team is poor and has no hope of qualifying unless they host I believe if I am correct..

You do realise it’s finalised, right? 😂

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Aren't Canada setting up a professional league? That may help the talent that Canada has in time for this World Cup - as I think all but three or four teams in Canada aren't professional at the moment (probably only the MLS teams are).

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Aren't Canada setting up a professional league? That may help the talent that Canada has in time for this World Cup - as I think all but three or four teams in Canada aren't professional at the moment (probably only the MLS teams are).

They have tried for years mate, never seems to catch in. Canada has 3 teams in the MLS. Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. There is another lower league called the NASL, in which Ottawa has a team which has sides from Canada and the US. Football is huge here but never enough for an actual Canadian Professional league. Unfortunate, but that is the way it's been for years. 

29 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

They have tried for years mate, never seems to catch in. Canada has 3 teams in the MLS. Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. There is another lower league called the NASL, in which Ottawa has a team which has sides from Canada and the US. Football is huge here but never enough for an actual Canadian Professional league. Unfortunate, but that is the way it's been for years. 

Apparently, they're going for it in 2019: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Premier_League

Format looks different to the MLS; much closer to the European game than American. Seven teams, playing home and away twice, in the first season, with hopes to expand into a league system.

Hopefully it goes well, as there seems to be plenty of potential in Canada.

40 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Apparently, they're going for it in 2019: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Premier_League

Format looks different to the MLS; much closer to the European game than American. Seven teams, playing home and away twice, in the first season, with hopes to expand into a league system.

Hopefully it goes well, as there seems to be plenty of potential in Canada.

Hope so. Did not know about that league. Be good if it goes ahead. I coach football here in Ottawa, it's so popular. No reason why it can't wirk.