Steven Gerrard - as a manager ? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Gerrard - as a manager ?

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Ormond said:

My days of having the healthy liver required to go all day and night scooping are long gone. 6pm on a Friday usually for me. 

Enjoy. 

7 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Brendan must be shaking in his boots. Gerrard has a proven track record of stopping Rodgers winning the League.

First Old-Firm game at Parkhead. Odds on the DJ to play Born Slippy?

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

First Old-Firm game at Parkhead. Odds on the DJ to play Born Slippy?

I'm sure Brendan Rogers would love to be reminded of how he blew the league.  You haven't really thought that through have you.

A few dicks on radio 5 with no knowledge of Scottish football discussing the Gerrard appointment ..mentioning that he has the assistance of Scottish "legend" Gary McAllister with his "vast wealth of knowledge of football in Scotland ". Legend ? Have I missed something ? Or more likely he missed something ..oh aye a fucking penalty.

21 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Amusing to see quite a few Scottish Liverpool 'supporters' get rather worked up and upset by this appointment :lol:

It’s been fucking nauseating watching Scots wank themselves into a frenzy about Liverpool’s Euro Cup run. Then trying to say it’s solely because of Robertson. Aye, right.

Edited by Ormond

The more I analyse this appointment the more I believe they must finally have serious investment on its way. Why else would he take this hospital pass?

If not, they’ve just made him bigger than the club which can’t end well.

I also think the start date would tie in with new cash being made available. Can’t understand why he didn’t want to get in straight away to see what he has unless he’s going to be basically shipping pretty much the whole squad out.

10 minutes ago, macy37 said:

The more I analyse this appointment the more I believe they must finally have serious investment on its way. Why else would he take this hospital pass?

I also think the start date would tie in with new cash being made available. Can’t understand why he didn’t want to get in straight away to see what he has unless he’s going to be basically shipping pretty much the whole squad out.

Most Rangers fans wouldn't be too upset by your last proposal.

54 minutes ago, macy37 said:

He claimed he couldn't start right away due to commitments with Liverpool and BT...

10 hours ago, irnbruman said:

A few dicks on radio 5 with no knowledge of Scottish football discussing the Gerrard appointment ..mentioning that he has the assistance of Scottish "legend" Gary McAllister with his "vast wealth of knowledge of football in Scotland ". Legend ? Have I missed something ? Or more likely he missed something ..oh aye a fucking penalty.

And U will know more than Gary McAllister with your super knowledge. stick to irn bru.

I just heard of Ally McCoist saying the appointment would put Scottish football back ...(to 1986, I thought he was going to say)...on the map.  If that's a key reason for appointing such an inexperienced manager it doesn't bode too well.

When Souness arrived, he at least had some knowledge of the Scottish game, the Scottish press, etc - being a Scotland icon would have bought some breathing space - so he had enough connection to get by, but also arms-length respect. Also he was a player-manager so came with immediate on-field authority. And fresh thinking. And cash.

3 minutes ago, exile said:

When Souness arrived, he at least had some knowledge of the Scottish game, the Scottish press, etc - being a Scotland icon would have bought some breathing space - so he had enough connection to get by, but also arms-length respect. Also he was a player-manager so came with immediate on-field authority. And fresh thinking. And cash.

Plus the landscape was totally different, being able to sign top English internationals for moderately more cash than you would fork out for a player in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Plus the landscape was totally different, being able to sign top English internationals for moderately more cash than you would fork out for a player in Scotland.

And being able to dangle the carrot of European football for these said English internationals didn't hurt either.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Yes that tends to put you on the map, nicking your neighbour's goalie, captain, captain of Tottenham, etc.

10 hours ago, Ormond said:

It’s been fucking nauseating watching Scots wank themselves into a frenzy about Liverpool’s Euro Cup run. Then trying to say it’s solely because of Robertson. Aye, right.

It wasn't for me. My frenzy came from seeing the cheating cnuts of Roma getting pumped. Sweet.

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I'm wondering if it means he has a contract at Liverpool until the end of the season, and someone is trying to avoid paying any compensation...

Come on, how much do you think it'll cost to buy out one month of a youth team coach's contract?

If they can't afford that, they won't be able to afford his salary as manager.

He'll be making more out of BT than he will from Liverpool.

I suspect it'll be more to do with wanting to start from scratch with his coaching team in place. 

On 4/27/2018 at 9:18 AM, wanderer said:

First thought when I heard it was "headline grabbing to please the fans" was my first thought.

Maybe talks will take place, but would not be shocked if a statement not long after "could not agree to terms", with Billy Davis or someone else a lot more low key appointed a few hours later.

Shocked yet?

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

And U will know more than Gary McAllister with your super knowledge. stick to irn bru.

I know fook all about Scottish senior football mate  more knowledgeable about the junior game.  But if you think McAllister was a Scotland "legend" then you are easily pleased or a wee bit thick or even a Rangers supporter?

1 hour ago, irnbruman said:

But if you think McAllister was a Scotland "legend" then you are easily pleased or a wee bit thick or even a Rangers supporter?

McAllister was possibly our top player over a period of years when we qualified for multiple tournaments. He was a massive loss at the 98 World Cup. 

Might not have done enough to be considered a legend but a very good Scotland player all the same.