Worst live band you've ever seen - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst live band you've ever seen

50 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Van Morrison a few years ago in Blackpool was dire as well. I still like the guy but that night he had to be physically helped on stage & looked like thought he was doing us all a favour by gracing us with his presence.

They say there are two types of music fans, those that like Van Morrison and those that have met him.

Saw Oasis at Murrayfield just before they split up and they were rotten. Liam didn’t want to be there and hardly sang a legible word into the mic.

Was an excellent gig too, Kasabian and The Enemy were supporting and both were  great, just let down by the headliners.

10 hours ago, dan cake said:

Surprised Dylan hasn't got a mention yet, a few older guys at work have seen him numerous times. Ranging from brilliant to utter Shi.te and everything in between

Dylan live is pretty much depends how on a whim his mood is that day, and how he plays reflects on that.

Mate been to see him loads of times and said the same.... could play a almost reggae style version of his whole back catalougue in Birmigham on the Friday night, then by the time he plays Glasgow on the Sunday, suddenly decides he wants to do a full on rock set, but then 5 minutes before going on stage will change his mind and go full acoustic, and basically his backing band do not know what to play.

I've only ever walked out of a gig twice to my memory.

One was James at Brixton Academy a few years back.  Now to be fair, I'm not a massive James fan, a few songs I like but mostly I'm pretty neutral about them.  They were supported by Echo and the Bunnymen - who were excellent - and that was really why I went along.   About three or four songs into James' set, I looked at my mate pulled a face and he nodded back to me so we went to the pub.

The other one was the Pogues headlining the Fleadh in Finsbury Park in 1991.  I think Van Morrison mentioned here was also on the bill and was excellent on the night.   

This time I was - and still am - a big fan of the Pogues and had seen them before so knew how good they could be live when they were on their game.  

The band came on playing something like Streams of Whiskey at 100 mph without Shane MacGowan and kept playing and playing.  After about five minutes MacGowan came shambling on and started "singing".  Problem was, that he was so hammered that you couldn't make out what he was singing - not that big a problem, tbf - but more importantly he couldn't keep up with the pace of the band, who had to slow down to MacGowans pace.   

Untelligible singing at 25mph is not that enjoyable.  Three songs in we walked out and we weren't the only ones.

i think this was either his last gig or second last gig with the Pogues - until they reformed - and they sacked him a couple of weeks later.

Ive been to see them a couple of times since they reformed and they've been great even though MacGowan does the set on a barstool. 

58 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Sorry, I remember Rush being a big thing as the LPs were only available on import they did a very short British tour and decide to take a punt and go a see them simply not metal enough for me at the time and as for the vocalist.........

I'm guessing that would've been the 2112 tour.  Still early days for them, their best stuff was yet to come.  I agree you either dig them or you don't, especially the singing!  But one of the best live bands in history IMO.

15 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'm guessing that would've been the 2112 tour.  Still early days for them, their best stuff was yet to come.  I agree you either dig them or you don't, especially the singing!  But one of the best live bands in history IMO.

It was 2112 and this some sort of concept album concept album it should have sent alarm bells ringing.

3 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

Sorry, I remember Rush being a big thing as the LPs were only available on import they did a very short British tour and decide to take a punt and go a see them simply not metal enough for me at the time and as for the vocalist.........

Yeah, a 'progressive rock' band as opposed to a 'thrashy' band.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I'm guessing that would've been the 2112 tour.  Still early days for them...

They'd have been around about 10 years by then.

...their best stuff was yet to come. 

Well, most bands can't live up to their earlier stuff, while RUSH did for decades.

I agree you either dig them or you don't, especially the singing! 

They acknowledge that themselves.

But one of the best live bands in history IMO.

Was lucky enough to see their rise from their home town.

2 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

It was 2112 and this some sort of concept album it should have sent alarm bells ringing.

Like Sgt. Pepper's, Tommy, Tales Of Mystery and Imagination, etc?

5 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Yeah, a 'progressive rock' band as opposed to a 'thrashy' band.

They'd have been around about 10 years by then.

Well, most bands can't live up to their earlier stuff, while RUSH did for decades.

They acknowledge that themselves.

Was lucky enough to see their rise from their home town.

Like Sgt. Pepper's, Tommy, Tales Of Mystery and Imagination, etc?

Sgt Pepper is shite, Tommy is passable in bits and all Alan Parson's records are beyond shite.

On 23/04/2018 at 10:06 PM, Rich NATA said:

1993... The Zoo TV Tour... one of - if not the - most spectacular tours of all time.

I've never seen anything to surpass Zoo TV in the 25 years since.

Was there on the Sunday night.

By no means the worst I've ever seen by any standard, but I'd suggest you need to see more shows if you think that was spectacular.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

:lol:

My grammar is generally not too bad either.

Except semi colons, I’ve never been able to figure out how to use them properly.

Appropriate use of semi-colons often comes down to 'feel' rather than any strict adherence to grammatical rules, but, on the whole, they can be used instead of a full stop where two grammatically independent sentences are closely connected in terms of meaning. This means that they can often take the place of conjunctions like 'but' or 'so':

"Semi-colons cause confusion; a lot of people avoid them." ... "Stadiums and arenas make shite music venues; I rarely go to a gig that holds more than a few hundred folk."

The important thing is that the clauses on either side of the semi-colon can stand alone grammatically (so they're not like commas). You can also use them when giving a list when the contents of the list are grammatically complex so that you need commas to punctuate individual elements of the list.

Doddle.