Kilmarnock and Steve Clarke - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kilmarnock and Steve Clarke

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We've won just ss much as Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hibs in last 25 years and more than the likes of Motherwell, Dundee etc.

Only Celtic rangers and Heart's hsve won more in last quarter of a century. 

Why are we only going back 25 years? Of course if we went back a wee bit longer we would find the likes of Aberdeen and even Dundee Utd challenging the old firm on a regular basis, with Aberdeen winning a shit load of trophies including the Cup Winners Cup when it actually meant something. Manager of the year for finishing 5th and above the likes of Ross County, Hamilton, Partick Thistle? Mmmmm go figure.

19 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Why are we only going back 25 years? Of course if we went back a wee bit longer we would find the likes of Aberdeen and even Dundee Utd challenging the old firm on a regular basis, with Aberdeen winning a shit load of trophies including the Cup Winners Cup when it actually meant something. Manager of the year for finishing 5th and above the likes of Ross County, Hamilton, Partick Thistle? Mmmmm go figure.

Or we could go back a wee bit further and we finished in the top 2 five years in a row, won the league, got into the Semi Final's of what is now the Europa League, drew with Real Madrid at Rugby Park and came back from 4 goals down to Eintract Frankfurt to win 5-4?

I used the past 25 years as that's basically been my time watching football home and away each week. It's also recent history, not living on glories from yester year.  

I wasn't even alive when Aberdeen won the Cup WInners Cup.

We had no wins in first 8 games of the season before Clarke took over. Since he took over we are level with Celtic on points. Only Hibs and Aberdeen have managed to beat us since 30th September.

We had 8 points when he got the job mid October, we now have 55 points.

I see you've missed out the likes of Hearts and Motherwell from your list of teams?

If you can't figure out why he is up for Manager of the Year then you really are think/don't understand football but most probably both given your posting history.

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Or we could go back a wee bit further and we finished in the top 2 five years in a row, won the league, got into the Semi Final's of what is now the Europa League, drew with Real Madrid at Rugby Park and came back from 4 goals down to Eintract Frankfurt to win 5-4?

I used the past 25 years as that's basically been my time watching football home and away each week. It's also recent history, not living on glories from yester year.  

I wasn't even alive when Aberdeen won the Cup WInners Cup.

We had no wins in first 8 games of the season before Clarke took over. Since he took over we are level with Celtic on points. Only Hibs and Aberdeen have managed to beat us since 30th September.

We had 8 points when he got the job mid October, we now have 55 points.

I see you've missed out the likes of Hearts and Motherwell from your list of teams?

If you can't figure out why he is up for Manager of the Year then you really are think/don't understand football but most probably both given your posting history.

Been following football before you were born sunshine and just posting my opinion as are you  As for past posts, I dont have to insult or name call people.:(.

1 hour ago, robbo cop said:

Let's look a bit further back to the dozen or so years that Aberdeen were at all relevant - for the only sustained period in their history - where they just happened to have someone at the helm who would go on to become one of the greatest managers ever and pretend that at some point they were a "big" club   We could then talk about the decades of underachievement that Aberdeen have had since then or we could accept the fact that Aberdeen are nothing more than a provincial team that will pick up a trophy every couple of decades or so.

10 hours ago, slasher said:

Money = sporting advantage agreed. 

However, weighed up against European football, more games, increased expectation, Rodgers achievement shouldn't be downplayed {if its a double treble} That said, i would have no problem with Clark, Robinson or Lennon getting the award 👍

But he has the squad to handle more games etc, if Celtic took a full second string 11 they should still be as good as most other teams in the league if not better. Yes Rogers has done well no doubt but he has a huge advantage to start. Lennon has also done well to come up and compete for 2nd straight away. Just think the turnaround at killie under clarke is more of an achievement considering how terrible they were.

48 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Sound like a Middle Englander with no grasp of Scottish football.

If Barrhead is middle England then yes

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

Let's look a bit further back to the dozen or so years that Aberdeen were at all relevant - for the only sustained period in their history - where they just happened to have someone at the helm who would go on to become one of the greatest managers ever and pretend that at some point they were a "big" club   We could then talk about the decades of underachievement that Aberdeen have had since then or we could accept the fact that Aberdeen are nothing more than a provincial team that will pick up a trophy every couple of decades or so.

that is one truly bitter post

2 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Been following football before you were born sunshine and just posting my opinion as are you  As for past posts, I dont have to insult or name call people.:(.

Lucky you,  i'll be following it when you are pushing up daisies.

Win some/lose some I suppose.

32 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Lucky you,  i'll be following it when you are pushing up daisies.

Win some/lose some I suppose.

Clever answer for the likes of you....I really did not think you had the brains to think up something so funny. Did you borrow the one family brain cell.

2 hours ago, robbo cop said:

At least Aberdeen picked up some trophies without getting or spending big bucks, we could also talk of decades of most clubs in Scotland underachieving, not just Aberdeen.

Queens Park have won more trophies than Aberdeen.  Fair enough they were in the 19th century but they are as relevant as the 1980s are to today.

Guest BlueGaz
3 hours ago, aaid said:

nothing more than a provincial team that will pick up a trophy every couple of decades or so.

Would anyone dispute that?

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Aye, for a "Chelsea fan", aaid far dislikes Aberdeen a lot :lol: 

TBH, I really couldn't give a toss about Aberdeen, it was the original post of - "lets look at some arbitrary timescale that makes my club look better than they are" that annoyed me.   Either look across the whole of history or look at a timeframe that is relevant to the current day.

Edited by aaid

I think that this Manager of the Year malarky is a lot like school league tables.

The tables measure only attainment. What they don't take into account is the quality of the input material or indeed the improvement that has been achieved.

If we're simply looking at a Manager's attainment, then Rodgers wins. All the time.

But if we start to explore a bit further and dwell on quality of material available and level of improvement then it gets a bit more interesting.

Steve Clark, for the reasons detailed above.

Neil Lennon, Hibs were in the Championship last season.

But what about Stewart Petrie?

Montrose were in the Play-Offs last year against Brora Rangers just to stay in the SPFL. This season they look like winning the League Two title. Now THAT's some performance.

Just now, Flure said:

I think that this Manager of the Year malarky is a lot like school league tables.

The tables measure only attainment. What they don't take into account is the quality of the input material or indeed the improvement that has been achieved.

If we're simply looking at a Manager's attainment, then Rodgers wins. All the time.

But if we start to explore a bit further and dwell on quality of material available and level of improvement then it gets a bit more interesting.

Steve Clark, for the reasons detailed above.

Neil Lennon, Hibs were in the Championship last season.

But what about Stewart Petrie?

Montrose were in the Play-Offs last year against Brora Rangers just to stay in the SPFL. This season they look like winning the League Two title. Now THAT's some performance.

That's actually a very good analogy which is unusual for you.

You could also draw parallels to clubs with greater financial resources buying better players to parent paying for external tutors.

Just now, aaid said:

That's actually a very good analogy which is unusual for you.

You could also draw parallels to clubs with greater financial resources buying better players to parent paying for external tutors.

YOU could.

That would be beneath me.

It will be Rodgers, I’d say it should be between him and Clarke. The problem is that while Clarke has done a pretty amazing job in a short timescale, in a sense he hasn’t actually achieved anything yet. The skelping from Aberdeen at the weekend doesn’t help his case either.

Rodgers has (relatively) huge resources but to be fair he can’t really do a whole lot more with them, domestically at least. It’s an easy call to give it to him, but quite possibly the right one too. The media would love it to be Lennon of course, but can’t see he has done enough to be ahead of Rodgers or Clarke. Robinson deserves huge credit for cup success but not making the top six is bordering on the piss poor considering he has been in place for a while. Thing is, all of this may look different in a month or so, particularly if Motherwell win the Cup or someone has a really strong finish to the league.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

TBH, I really couldn't give a toss about Aberdeen, it was the original post of - "lets look at some arbitrary timescale that makes my club look better than they are" that annoyed me.   Either look across the whole of history or look at a timeframe that is relevant to the current day.

A football fan was being a bit biased?!?! Wow. Shockerooni. 

I especially liked where you claimed that victories no one who's alive can remember are as relevant as victories in living memory. :) 

42 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Clever answer for the likes of you....I really did not think you had the brains to think up something so funny. Did you borrow the one family brain cell.

And verily I knew I was among Christian gentlefolk.

4 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Robinson deserves huge credit for cup success but not making the top six is bordering on the piss poor considering he has been in place for a while. Thing is, all of this may look different in a month or so, particularly if Motherwell win the Cup or someone has a really strong finish to the league.

He came in last March, and had to do a complete rebuilding job over the summer and lost his best player in January.

His recruitment has been excellent so far. Main and Aldred came in in January and are arguably better than Moult and Hartley (long term injured). Tanner looks a find too, but unfortunately injured too.

I can see both Motherwell and Killie in the top 6 chalke gong the city clubs next season if they can keep their squads together and maybe add.

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A football fan was being a bit biased?!?! Wow. Shockerooni. 

I especially liked where you claimed that victories no one who's alive can remember are as relevant as victories in living memory. :) 

Parklife spinning and twisting things, Wow, Shockerooni.

Perhaps explain to me how - for example - Aberdeen's 1983 ECWC win has any relevance to the current team, management, staff, club's relative position, etc., etc.,   and in the same way, Rangers winning the ECWC in 1972 or Celtic winning the EC in 1967?

They are all  parts of each club's history of which they should rightly be proud but trying to use them to argue about relative standing in recent years is pretty obtuse.