Kilmarnock and Steve Clarke - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kilmarnock and Steve Clarke

Hearing that some people reckon Kilmarnock are team of the year, with Steve Clarke also being branded manager of the year. Granted, he has done a decent job but have they won anything?. Also finishing in fifth place does not give reason to get manager of the year either.

Of course it goes without saying, if he keeps improving the team, then he will be sought after, possibly by Rangers.

My best memories of Rugby Park I am afraid to say were the rather nice pies.

Just now, robbo cop said:

Hearing that some people reckon Kilmarnock are team of the year, with Steve Clarke also being branded manager of the year. Granted, he has done a decent job but have they won anything?. Also finishing in fifth place does not give reason to get manager of the year either.

Of course it goes without saying, if he keeps improving the team, then he will be sought after, possibly by Rangers.

My best memories of Rugby Park I am afraid to say were the rather nice pies.

Aye but look where Killie were when he took over.  The guy has done a phenomenal job - manager of the year, absolutely no doubt.  Imagine him with Brendan Rogers' resources.

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

Aye but look where Killie were when he took over.  The guy has done a phenomenal job - manager of the year, absolutely no doubt.  Imagine him with Brendan Rogers' resources.

Yes he has done a good job, but I think most managers in the league would do well with Brendan Roger's resources. Once he is at a bigger club we will see how good he really is, also possibly future Scotland manager if Mcleish fails.

When he took over, killie were bottom of the league and a rut had set in. I think most killie fans would have thought finishing in the relegation play off spot would have been progress!

Really looking forward to Clarke getting a pre season under his belt. He has already secured players on longer contracts and in previous  years the last match of the season meant a player cull and scuttling about trying to assemble a squad. 

He has brought an air of authority and experience, something that had been lacking at the club for some time.

If it’s a league thing it has to go to Steve Clarke, the transformation under him has been amazing! Imagine he’d got in earlier, I believe they’d be a close 2nd if you extrapolate their form across the full season.

Special mention for Robinson though, 2 cup finals, and I think all our knockout opponents have been Premiership sides, the only lower league teams were in the league cup group. If he wins something we’ll have done it the hard way.

For Killie to be top of the form table for more than half the season is an incredible achievement and definitely worthy of winning manager of the year.

Would have no complaints if Lennon got it though, his team have been great. Robinson getting Motherwell to both cup finals despite losing their best player is also worthy of note.

55 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

For Killie to be top of the form table for more than half the season is an incredible achievement and definitely worthy of winning manager of the year.

Would have no complaints if Lennon got it though, his team have been great. Robinson getting Motherwell to both cup finals despite losing their best player is also worthy of note.

They’re still bitches to The Famous though.....

for guiding arguably the 6th biggest team in Scotland to 5th or 6th, really?

whoever wins the Scottish cup should get it, Rodgers for winning a double treble or Robinson for winning Motherwells first trophy in nearly 30 years

for me it would be Levein, all my favourite games have involved him

more of the same please

56 minutes ago, dan cake said:

for guiding arguably the 6th biggest team in Scotland to 5th or 6th, really?

whoever wins the Scottish cup should get it, Rodgers for winning a double treble or Robinson for winning Motherwells first trophy in nearly 30 years

for me it would be Levein, all my favourite games have involved him

more of the same please

Totally agree, but then Killie have got to win something someday I suppose 1

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Unfortunately they never wait that late in the season for the decision to be made.

Robinson getting 'Well to two cup finals and Clarke's transformation at Killie are both worthy of winning the MOTY award. 

I expect it'll go to Rodgers though. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Robinson getting 'Well to two cup finals and Clarke's transformation at Killie are both worthy of winning the MOTY award. 

I expect it'll go to Rodgers though. 

As it should if we win the treble.

if we don’t then you could make arguments for Lennon, Robinson and Clarke.

7 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Yes he has done a good job, but I think most managers in the league would do well with Brendan Roger's resources. Once he is at a bigger club we will see how good he really is, also possibly future Scotland manager if Mcleish fails.

Surely we already know that now by the great job he's doing.

'Bigger' clubs can mask things.

There's no hiding at Killie.

1 hour ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Celtic, with their resources, should be winning the treble every year.

Clarke or Robinson for me.

2 hours ago, wembley67lisbon said:

I don't think achieving par is worthy of winning manager of the year. 

7 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Totally agree, but then Killie have got to win something someday I suppose 1

We've won just ss much as Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hibs in last 25 years and more than the likes of Motherwell, Dundee etc.

Only Celtic rangers and Heart's hsve won more in last quarter of a century. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We've won just ss much as Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hibs in last 25 years and more than the likes of Motherwell, Dundee etc.

Only Celtic rangers and Heart's hsve won more in last quarter of a century. 

"Heart's"

11 hours ago, macy37 said:

Gaffer of the year is Lennon. 

If youre a Tim maybe

6 hours ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Load of shite, he has more money to play with than anyone and a huge squad and basically no competition.

10 minutes ago, Kirk said:

If youre a Tim maybe

Load of shite, he has more money to play with than anyone and a huge squad and basically no competition.

Money = sporting advantage agreed. 

However, weighed up against European football, more games, increased expectation, Rodgers achievement shouldn't be downplayed {if its a double treble} That said, i would have no problem with Clark, Robinson or Lennon getting the award 👍