Wenger - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I feel a bit like a football tourist for this but for someone more used to the arse end of football, within the space of a week, I'll be getting to see Man City presented with the league trophy & Wenger's last (league at least) match thanks to our last couple of fixtures. Which will be fine as long as we haven't been relegated along with it. :unsure:

38 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Parkie’s epl Manager of the year showed what he’s about this evening. Absolute dinasour of a Manager.

Watched the Spanish game, a big Sam team v a Benitez team didn't appeal. Two of England's traditional "big clubs" accepting tedious sh.ite week in week out for mid table mediocrity, genuinely feel sorry for both sets of fans

12 hours ago, macy37 said:

Parkie’s epl Manager of the year showed what he’s about this evening. Absolute dinasour of a Manager.

Didn't. Watch it. Does an away defeat to Everton take away from the fact that he's taken a horrendous squad of players to the top half of the EPL? 

12 hours ago, dan cake said:

Watched the Spanish game, a big Sam team v a Benitez team didn't appeal. Two of England's traditional "big clubs" accepting tedious sh.ite week in week out for mid table mediocrity, genuinely feel sorry for both sets of fans

It seems that fans of every team in the EPL seem to think they have/deserve a “brand of football” and aren’t willing to accept winning ugly.

I don’t particularly like “Big Sam” and his brand of football isn’t the easiest on the eye, but you have to earn the right to play football (copyright Stephen Robinson) by 1st of all being hard to beat. They would’ve been trying to play like Barcelona in the Championship if they hadn’t brought him in. I’m sure there are cheaper more imaginative alternatives they could’ve looked at, but they’re comfortably in the top half of the table, what do the Everton fans want?

13 hours ago, dan cake said:
41 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

It seems that fans of every team in the EPL seem to think they have/deserve a “brand of football” and aren’t willing to accept winning ugly.

I don’t particularly like “Big Sam” and his brand of football isn’t the easiest on the eye, but you have to earn the right to play football (copyright Stephen Robinson) by 1st of all being hard to beat. They would’ve been trying to play like Barcelona in the Championship if they hadn’t brought him in. I’m sure there are cheaper more imaginative alternatives they could’ve looked at, but they’re comfortably in the top half of the table, what do the Everton fans want?

42 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I agree with this but on another note, the toon fans love Benitez so I doubt they are seeking sympathy from anyone right now.

14 hours ago, dan cake said:

Going by the recent Everton fans survey and the banner they were holding up last night I’d say ‘acceptance’ is as far away from the truth as possible. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I agree with this but on another note, the toon fans love Benitez so I doubt they are seeking sympathy from anyone right now.

They do. They appreciate that a manager who while maybe not in the top level of managers nowadays, but certainly probably in the level below that, stuck with a team who is most certainly not anywhere near the top level or even a few levels below that.

When you have managed Liverpool, Real Madrid and Napoli prior to Newcastle, and you are willing to stick with them even when they go into the Championship, then you get a lot of gratitude from the fans. 

Benitez has performed a minor miracle this season. The team was built with mainly Championship level players with the intention of getting them back out of the Championship at the first go. He did that. He then had to stick with the mainly the same squad of players this season. He got to spend £12m on another Championship player, £8m on a centre back from Eibar, £4m on an Atletico Madrid reserve and £5m on Stoke's 5th choice centre forward, behind even Peter Crouch. The clubs he would be competing with probably spent more and bought better quality. In January, when it looked like it was a certainty they were heading back to the Championship again, he got to sign, on loan, a Chelsea squad player, Leicesters 4th choice centre forward, who was injured until 2 weeks ago, and a goalie from Sparta Prague. The fact he has cobbled that lot together into a team who are currently sitting 10th is probably the reason Parkie made the MOTY comment.

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

Didn't. Watch it. Does an away defeat to Everton take away from the fact that he's taken a horrendous squad of players to the top half of the EPL? 

Is that an achievement? Have you seen some of the teams in there? A side built by him....horrendous indeed.

12 hours ago, macy37 said:

Is that an achievement? Have you seen some of the teams in there? A side built by him....horrendous indeed.

You'll see DBTA's post above, he's articulated it better than me. 

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You'll see DBTA's post above, he's articulated it better than me. 

He’s spent about £115m in about 18 months. In anyone’s books that’s a lot of money and his purchases have hardly set the Heather alight. The myth that he’s loved on Tyneside is huge. Fans are as well as doing their usual blaming of Fat Mike also starting to question Rafa. I go to a fair few games there.

7 minutes ago, macy37 said:

He’s spent about £115m in about 18 months. In anyone’s books that’s a lot of money and his purchases have hardly set the Heather alight. The myth that he’s loved on Tyneside is huge. Fans are as well as doing their usual blaming of Fat Mike also starting to question Rafa. I go to a fair few games there.

A net transfer spend since the start of last of approximately negative £15 million. Yet he,s taken Newcastle in to the EPL and to the top half. Sounds like he's doing alright to me... 

His football at present may not be the most attractive to watch but he's a top level manager (far too good for Newcastle TBH) who''s getting really good results. 

You keep questioning Rafa if you like, go back to managers like Pardew and Allardyce. See how well that goes for Newcastle. 

On 4/25/2018 at 7:46 AM, Parklife said:

A net transfer spend since the start of last of approximately negative £15 million. Yet he,s taken Newcastle in to the EPL and to the top half. Sounds like he's doing alright to me... 

His football at present may not be the most attractive to watch but he's a top level manager (far too good for Newcastle TBH) who''s getting really good results. 

You keep questioning Rafa if you like, go back to managers like Pardew and Allardyce. See how well that goes for Newcastle. 

West Brom...