Publishing - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• 3 weeks later...

There are various ways now of getting your book published.

You can contact traditional publishers and hope they see the book for its potential and they publish which I have done. This method does not cost you a penny and they take care of publicising the book, getting you book signings, distribution and everything really. However, your royalties will be pitiful. You will probably earn no more than 50p per book.

Or you can go for partnership publishing. Here you go to a publisher and they will quote you a cost for typesetting, printing and publishing your book. This may cost you between £500 and £1000. I have also had a book published down this route. Royalties are better going this way and you can earn perhaps around £2 per book sold but there is more of an onus on you to publicize the book and organize book signings.

Or by self-publishing you can find your own printing company who will print and set out your book and you publish under your own publishing company and yes I have gone down this route too. Again the reward is greater royalties again - perhaps around £6 per book sold but you will have to pay print costs, create a company and pay taxes and it will be fully down to you to publicise, distribute the book and arrange interviews and book signings.

It is entirely up to you. Be warned that a number of traditional publisher will not accept unsolicited manuscripts. These are manuscripts written and submitted yourself. Many now want writers to have their own literary agents to do this.

Is it a book or music? 

I would agree with most of what Craig says. However, I've never been paid less than £1.10 for a book published by a traditional publisher. 

You should have a pretty good idea, based on what you're writing about, if an agent will take you on. If not, then you're almost certainly going to have to write to independent publishers. It's a complete pain in the arse, as they all want something a little different. Get info on who to write to from the Writers and Artists Yearbook at a local library. 

Edited by Stapes