Painting - great works of art (in your eyes) - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Painting - great works of art (in your eyes)

On 14/04/2018 at 7:58 AM, Toepoke said:

Still relevant today...

DE00050_0.jpg

the original hangs in the Reina Sofia museo in Madrid and its fecking awesome

nearly 4x8 meters in size and truly breathtaking in the flesh, was close to tears just staring at it

iconic

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

the original hangs in the Reina Sofia museo in Madrid and its fecking awesome

nearly 4x8 meters in size and truly breathtaking in the flesh, was close to tears just staring at it

iconic

Why? Did you know the background to the picture beforehand. Was there a guideline of how long you were meant to stare at it?

Anyway, from the exotic to... somewhere more familiar (& back to steam... and mammals...)

GL_GM_PCF_MOT_3.jpg

Apparently Terence Cuneo always included a mouse somewhere in his paintings... haven't spotted one here yet...

Edited by exile

7 minutes ago, dan cake said:

st-jerome-1605e280931606-galleria-borghe

Carafuckingvaggio now we're taking

been lucky enough to see some of his paintings up close, they draw you in then leap off the canvas

stunning

I'm trying here, old man looking at his hand trying to draw it? Skull indicating he's interested in anthropology!?

49 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Maybe that's another reason I don't get art  all the god botherer stuff. That picture is just a fantasy used to promote religion. The reality would be a picture of man nailed to a bit of wood dying, covered in vomit, shit and urine.

Not a bad investment though.

Cost the old Glasgow corporation £8k in the 1950. The Spanish Government supposedly offered £85 million for it a few years back.

The city even makes that original £8K back every couple of years in image rights.

24 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Wasn't even close. However not to worry just more God bothering nonsense.Whats the recommended staring time for that pic.

about 15 minutes hard staring then another 10/15 minutes checking it out from different angles while stroking with my beard

48 minutes ago, dan cake said:

about 15 minutes hard staring then another 10/15 minutes checking it out from different angles while stroking with my beard

OK given that additional info and estimated staring times. He's looking at his thumb and forefinger and estimating how big to make the text so he can fit all the translated words from the big book into the blank book on his far left. And judging by their respective sizes he's probably also considering missing some stuff out.

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

St Jerome translating the bible 

Ergonomically I don't think that set up is really doing him any favours. The skull is just uneccessary clutter. He's going to get really bad cramps with his arm stretched out like that. He really wants to make it a more compact layout altogether.

I'm thinking he should be sitting on a nice firm chair with back support rather than all hunched over like in the pic. At a desk about 5 cubits long, the big book (bible) that he's copying from on a stand inclined at about 30 degree from the vertical on his left, he's sitting centrally at the desk with the book he's copying into flat on the desk, at a distance where his arm is at a comfortable 45-90 bend, and ink well centrally positioned. I'd draw you a picture but I'm a bit rubbish at art.

33 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Ergonomically I don't think that set up is really doing him any favours. The skull is just uneccessary clutter. He's going to get really bad cramps with his arm stretched out like that. He really wants to make it a more compact layout altogether.

man's suffering

On 14/04/2018 at 3:46 PM, mariokempes56 said:

christ-of-saint-john-of-the-cross.jpg

Stunning.

I've seen it and really not that fussed with it.

On 14/04/2018 at 11:22 PM, McTeeko said:

All paintings are a load of shite. 

£80M? Aye, nae bother then 😏

Agree 🙈

On 16/04/2018 at 5:52 PM, scottincarlisle said:

Venice, The Grand Canal
Claude MONET 1908

Grand Canal Venice Monet

On 16/04/2018 at 5:53 PM, scottincarlisle said:

Venice, The Doge Palace
Claude MONET 1908

The Doge Palace Venice Monet