Painting - great works of art (in your eyes) - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Painting - great works of art (in your eyes)

20 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

So much art; so little bandwidth ...

2cojzaq.jpg

21jdpfk.jpg

69f1ad.jpg

Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion. Francis Bacon (1944)

The Great Wave off Kanagawa. Hokusai (1829)

Rain, Wind and Speed - The Great Western Railway. JMW Turner (1844)

14 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Rain, Wind and Speed - The Great Western Railway. JMW Turner (1844)

Isn't it Rain Steam & Speed? Not to be pedantic, but thougth I'd check. But it made me look closer. And the first thing I noticed was there's another bridge, over on the left, that I'd never noticed before. And then a little boat, down in the water. The river, Thamess as it happens. It seems it's a bridge at Maidenhead.... And finally, it seems, there is a hare on the track. Can anyone make it out?

Edited by exile

26 minutes ago, exile said:

Isn't it Rain Steam & Speed? Not to be pedantic, but thougth I'd check. But it made me look closer. And the first thing I noticed was there's another bridge, over on the left, that I'd never noticed before. And then a little boat, down in the water. The river, Thamess as it happens. It seems it's a bridge at Maidenhead.... And finally, it seems, there is a hare on the track. Can anyone make it out?

Yes. Apologies. Keeping with the wind theme, I was evidently having a mind fart.

The hare is there, but not easy to make out - certainly in any scaled down reproduction:

rk8pab.jpg

As it happens I saw a Turner exhibition in Kyoto last week. Here's another of his steam-powered industrial revolution numbers:

1zec8w7.jpg

Snow Storm: Steam-Boat off a Harbour's Mouth (1842)

Edited by DonnyTJS

On 14/04/2018 at 3:46 PM, mariokempes56 said:

christ-of-saint-john-of-the-cross.jpg

Stunning.

Indeed. Privileged to have it in Glasgow.

I have a print of it (inherited from my Dad) plus i also now have one of Dali's similar painting, Hypercubus.

It depicts the 4 dimensional hypercube unfolded into a 4-armed cross which is then portrayed as the crucifixion scene.

Sorry i dont know how to add a photo. I'll have a try though.

2 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Yes. Apologies. Keeping with the wind theme, I was evidently having a mind fart.

The hare is there, but not easy to make out - certainly in any scaled down reproduction:

rk8pab.jpg

As it happens I saw a Turner exhibition in Kyoto last week. Here's another of his steam-powered industrial revolution numbers:

1zec8w7.jpg

Thanks. I was going to post another picture but it wouldn't upload....

8 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Indeed. Privileged to have it in Glasgow.

I have a print of it (inherited from my Dad) plus i also now have one of Dali's similar painting, Hypercubus.

It depicts the 4 dimensional hypercube unfolded into a 4-armed cross which is then portrayed as the crucifixion scene.

Sorry i dont know how to add a photo. I'll have a try though.

Maybe that's another reason I don't get art  all the god botherer stuff. That picture is just a fantasy used to promote religion. The reality would be a picture of man nailed to a bit of wood dying, covered in vomit, shit and urine.