For Killie fans - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I mentioned this game (a pre-season friendly) a while back in another thread - a fairly lively afternoon in the streets around Leeds Rd & a 1-0 Killie win. They were the first Scottish team I'd ever seen play & given the state of Huddersfield Town in 1978 it felt like an exotic European match to the 14-year-old me. As I recall there were a good few hundred away fans came down.

I finally tracked down the team sheet which I know a couple of people were interested in, so here you are...

HTFC%20-%20KFC%201978.jpg

Thank you kind sir seen every one off those players play at the theatre off pies big D Derrick McDicken at the time West Ham tried to sign him  for around £300.000 but the deal fell through few of them players still at the the club in a coaching capacity :ok:

Butting in here as a Clyde fan - I can remember Killie fans fighting with Clyde fans at Shawfield back in the very early 80's - could be wrong but think Killie had a good few nutters in their support back then - Toepoke / Squirrel confirm ??

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

I mentioned this game (a pre-season friendly) a while back in another thread - a fairly lively afternoon in the streets around Leeds Rd & a 1-0 Killie win. They were the first Scottish team I'd ever seen play & given the state of Huddersfield Town in 1978 it felt like an exotic European match to the 14-year-old me. As I recall there were a good few hundred away fans came down.

I finally tracked down the team sheet which I know a couple of people were interested in, so here you are...

HTFC%20-%20KFC%201978.jpg

Huddersfield - The David Proven on the Killie team sheet i'm sure (could be wrong though) was the Davie Proven who later played for Celtic, Scotland & is now with Sky Sports ??

13 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Huddersfield - The David Proven on the Killie team sheet i'm sure (could be wrong though) was the Davie Proven who later played for Celtic, Scotland & is now with Sky Sports ??

Aye but he had an afro back in those days :lol: (and it's Provan).

Edited by killiefaetheferry

22 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Aye - the wank that he is.

Paul Clarke is Stevie's older brother.

Alan McCulloch was some goalie. Better than that clown Rough.

I noticed Provan had been spelt wrongly - things were that bad at Town back then they probably had the sub typing it while the rest warmed up.

In terms of the hooliganism - the Killie turnout were a handy looking lot as I remember. Our support had largely evaporated around then (we had our lowest ever league gate not long after this game) but what was left was to a large extent a mix of older die-hards & young headcases, so there was plenty of scope for trouble. I remember a contingent of Town fans trying to attack one of the coaches & the lads on board trying to pile off it as it set off up the main road.

34 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I noticed Provan had been spelt wrongly - things were that bad at Town back then they probably had the sub typing it while the rest warmed up.

In terms of the hooliganism - the Killie turnout were a handy looking lot as I remember. Our support had largely evaporated around then (we had our lowest ever league gate not long after this game) but what was left was to a large extent a mix of older die-hards & young headcases, so there was plenty of scope for trouble. I remember a contingent of Town fans trying to attack one of the coaches & the lads on board trying to pile off it as it set off up the main road.

They spelt Jimmy Clark wrong too!

Know quite a few that went down, they've some tales to tell!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

George Maxwell seems to have acquired a Mc. He also had the hardest shot in the west. 

McCulloch, McLean, Robertson, Clarke and McDicken pretty much made up our defence for a decade!

I can also confirm that the Killie fans were indeed mental back in the day.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

McCulloch should certainly have been in more Scotland squads but I think his part time status counted against him though.

Rough was a decent keeper, especially when judged against the standards at the time. However you could tell how much things improved once dedicated goalkeeping coaches started appearing in the mid 80s. Alan Hodgkinson with Scotland being one of the first.

28 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

McCulloch should certainly have been in more Scotland squads but I think his part time status counted against him though.

Rough was a decent keeper, especially when judged against the standards at the time. However you could tell how much things improved once dedicated goalkeeping coaches started appearing in the mid 80s. Alan Hodgkinson with Scotland being one of the first.

It's hard to imagine these days that there were teams in the top division in Scotland that were part time.   I seem to remember that Rough was the only full time player at Thistle at that time.   I've no idea how that worked in practise though - a bit hard to train on your own, even for a goalkeeper.   

On the subject of things you wouldn't imagin happened.   I remember seeing highlights of a Thistle game on Scotsport or Sportscene in the late 70s and Rough was wearing an England goalkeepers top - it was a yellow Admiral one.   I met Roughie about 20 years later and he confirmed it was one of Ray Clemence's he'd swapped after a Scotland v England game.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

It's hard to imagine these days that there were teams in the top division in Scotland that were part time.   I seem to remember that Rough was the only full time player at Thistle at that time.   I've no idea how that worked in practise though - a bit hard to train on your own, even for a goalkeeper.   

On the subject of things you wouldn't imagin happened.   I remember seeing highlights of a Thistle game on Scotsport or Sportscene in the late 70s and Rough was wearing an England goalkeepers top - it was a yellow Admiral one.   I met Roughie about 20 years later and he confirmed it was one of Ray Clemence's he'd swapped after a Scotland v England game.

Is this a fact? Any idea what game it was?

Much more innocent times then, though. Not a chance that would be allowed to happen now, for a number of reasons, not least of which are current team sponsorship, branding and TV deals.

And Roughie is now so much more mature as to attempt something as stupid.......................................

8 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Butting in here as a Clyde fan - I can remember Killie fans fighting with Clyde fans at Shawfield back in the very early 80's - could be wrong but think Killie had a good few nutters in their support back then - Toepoke / Squirrel amongst them ??

:shocked:

Interesting that some of that team were part-time. Ours would have been fully professional albeit at that time hardly worth the name! 

I was interested to see our team. About half of them were on their way out (Terry Gray was a very loyal player for us through some godawful times). The other half went on to be part of the team that won the 4th Division title in 79-80 scoring 101 goals in the process. Malcolm Brown broke the club record for consecutive appearances (something like 250-odd), broke the club record transfer going to Newcastle for £250K & then broke his leg in pre-season training & missed a whole season where they won promotion! 

51 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Interesting that some of that team were part-time. Ours would have been fully professional albeit at that time hardly worth the name! 

The whole of the Killie team would've been part time I think. The club adoped that status in the early 70s and would remain so until the old board was ousted in the late 80s.

That would've been one of Davie Provan's last games for Kilmarnock, he joined Celtic in the September. A few months earlier I'd made my only trip to the old Ibrox to see us play Rangers in the Scottish Cup quarters. My uncle told me to watch out for Davie Provan on the wing as he was our best player, a couple of minutes into the game John Grieg launched him halfway to the enclosure and that was the end of his game and Killie's chances.

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

George Maxwell seems to have acquired a Mc. He also had the hardest shot in the west. 

McCulloch, McLean, Robertson, Clarke and McDicken pretty much made up our defence for a decade!

I can also confirm that the Killie fans were indeed mental back in the day.

George maxwell was my guidance teacher at secondary school. 

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Is this a fact? Any idea what game it was?

Much more innocent times then, though. Not a chance that would be allowed to happen now, for a number of reasons, not least of which are current team sponsorship, branding and TV deals.

And Roughie is now so much more mature as to attempt something as stupid.......................................

It's definitely true, it was something that I noticed at the time as a kid and always stuck in my mind.  I met Roughie at a function in London in 1998, was chatting to him and asked him about it and he confirmed I wasn't dreaming.

No idea at all what game, it was 40 years ago, FFS 😄 I seem to remember him saying it was some trivial reason to do with some problem with his normal kit although why he carried Ray Clemence's old top about with him God knows.  I could be misremembering this but I'm sure he said it wasn't a one-off.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The whole of the Killie team would've been part time I think. The club adoped that status in the early 70s and would remain so until the old board was ousted in the late 80s.

That would've been one of Davie Provan's last games for Kilmarnock, he joined Celtic in the September. A few months earlier I'd made my only trip to the old Ibrox to see us play Rangers in the Scottish Cup quarters. My uncle told me to watch out for Davie Provan on the wing as he was our best player, a couple of minutes into the game John Grieg launched him halfway to the enclosure and that was the end of his game and Killie's chances.

Kilmarnock defiinitely had at least some part time players in the 1960s.   This is before my time but Jim McFadzean was a PE teacher at Stewarton while he was at Kilmarnock.  The story goes that the morning after Killie had beaten Eintracht Frankfurt 5-1 at Rubgy Park in the Fairs Cup, in 1964, a game he'd scored in, the whole school cheered him in the car park as parked his car.

That obviously was the season Kilmarnock won the league. 

Edited by aaid

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye - the wank that he is.

Paul Clarke is Stevie's older brother.

Billy Murdoch was Bobby Murdoch's younger brother as well IIRC