David Bates - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Bates

wanderer

On 5/13/2018 at 12:12 PM, macy37 said:

Bates will bench warm. The person previous comparing him to McKenna isn’t far wrong....a run of the mill footballer that will never be a great player. 

Thing is.. we have a massive shortage of average central defenders. If Bates can go out there, and develop into a half decent, if not incredible, defender.. then that's good for us. Muglrew and Berra don't have long left.. and at that point, we'll need someone like Bates to step up.

McKenna and Hendry look like they might make the grade, which is great. but we need some others to kick on..

Lindsay, Bates, Hanley.. and then we get into the Souttar's, Findlay and McCrorie, who feel like they have a long way to go to me.. and then there's not very much at all. Some very young lads at Hearts who may or may not make the grade in the Scottish Prem.

So yeah.. an 'ok' defender would be most welcome right now. And if Bates develops into a decent, disciplined, Bundesliga defender in a few years time, then fantastic. He does look like he has the tools, let's just hope his new coach will help him develop and make use of them.

22 hours ago, andyD said:

Dont think I've ever seen that many polizei at a football match before. Bonkers stuff.

I watched this game and the police were clearly anticipating this. Within seconds they were in position, was really impressive 

On 5/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, andyD said:

Thing is.. we have a massive shortage of average central defenders. If Bates can go out there, and develop into a half decent, if not incredible, defender.. then that's good for us. Muglrew and Berra don't have long left.. and at that point, we'll need someone like Bates to step up.

McKenna and Hendry look like they might make the grade, which is great. but we need some others to kick on..

Lindsay, Bates, Hanley.. and then we get into the Souttar's, Findlay and McCrorie, who feel like they have a long way to go to me.. and then there's not very much at all. Some very young lads at Hearts who may or may not make the grade in the Scottish Prem.

So yeah.. an 'ok' defender would be most welcome right now. And if Bates develops into a decent, disciplined, Bundesliga defender in a few years time, then fantastic. He does look like he has the tools, let's just hope his new coach will help him develop and make use of them.

McCrorie is never a Centre Half in my opinion. Has the potential to be a very decent holding midfielder though.

Guest BlueGaz
11 minutes ago, Mitre said:

McCrorie is never a Centre Half in my opinion. Has the potential to be a very decent holding midfielder though.

Nope, never.  Appreciate he is young but when he has been thrown in at CB this season, he has been average at best.  When playing DM he has been very good most of the time.  Def suits him better there.

4 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Nope, never.  Appreciate he is young but when he has been thrown in at CB this season, he has been average at best.  When playing DM he has been very good most of the time.  Def suits him better there.

He will put on more bulk in the next 2 or 3 years and could yet play centre half, but I agree he has more potential in midfield. He could also play right back, as he has the pace and technique.

Guest BlueGaz
55 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He will put on more bulk in the next 2 or 3 years and could yet play centre half, but I agree he has more potential in midfield. He could also play right back, as he has the pace and technique.

Quite possible. Once he matures he could end up some other position. 

John Souttar is not a Scotland quality centre half.  He just isn’t - gets caught in possession, makes bad choices.  He has potential but long way to go.... don’t see why Berra I started being overlooked.  I agree that mcrorie is not a centre half either... rogic tore him a new one and he would face much better at international level.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:53 AM, Malcolm said:

don’t see why Berra I started being overlooked.

Fairly sure McLeish has said Berra's very much in the plans, but he's using the friendlies to look at what else there is should he need it. Berra will get more caps.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:56 PM, aaid said:

I think your first point is arguable, I'm not sure Bundesliga 2 is a higher level than the SPFL.  

I just had a quick look at the world cup squad lists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_squads

There are 5.5 Bundesliga 2 players going, and 6.5 SPFL players going (the half is Jamie Maclaren).

Backs up my own opinion that, despite having a very professional setup, the standard of football in the Bundesliga 2 is not a higher level.

17 hours ago, davew said:

I just had a quick look at the world cup squad lists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_squads

There are 5.5 Bundesliga 2 players going, and 6.5 SPFL players going (the half is Jamie Maclaren).

Backs up my own opinion that, despite having a very professional setup, the standard of football in the Bundesliga 2 is not a higher level.

He probably gambled Hamburg would have another miracle survival like they've done in previous years. They were only 3 points off in the end I think.

If they sort themselves out quickly he could be a regular in a promotion winning team and so then be in good position to be a regular player in a Bundesliga team.

That obviously is a higher level than SPL.

If Hamburg is stuck in second division for a few years then he'll probably come back. Other issue of course is how quickly he adapts to life abroad.

23 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

He probably gambled Hamburg would have another miracle survival like they've done in previous years. They were only 3 points off in the end I think.

If they sort themselves out quickly he could be a regular in a promotion winning team and so then be in good position to be a regular player in a Bundesliga team.

That obviously is a higher level than SPL.

If Hamburg is stuck in second division for a few years then he'll probably come back. Other issue of course is how quickly he adapts to life abroad.

I think he might have gambled that Hamburg were going down. Hamburg are a bigger club than Rangers IMO, and the Bundesliga is a huge step up from the SPFL. He wouldn't have got a game.

He surely will now, and at a standard similar to what he's used to.

If things go well, in one years time, he'll have settled in to life in a different country, learned some German, established himself in the team, and be ready for a crack at the Bundesliga.