David Bates - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Bates

wanderer

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

I genuinely think he's absolutely rotten. I'd imagine he'll be a bench-warmer for a Bundesliga 2 team next season. 

Hardly worth getting excited about. Hope he proves me wrong though. 

I thought he was rotten too until he played in a 3-0 won at Pittodrie and never looked back. He’s played twice at Pittodrie, Celtic Park and once at Easter Road and has never lost, defends his box really really strongly but technically leaves a bit to be desired but that’s where Germany will develop him.

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

I genuinely think he's absolutely rotten. I'd imagine he'll be a bench-warmer for a Bundesliga 2 team next season. 

Interested as to why you think he's 'rotten'? 

Think he had a couple of poor moments when he was thrown in to the deep end last season. But this season, since he's been given a regular game, he's done really well. As far as I'm aware hasn't made many mistakes, is very good in the air, and generally does simple defending very well. He needs to work on his passing but at 21 he has plenty of time. He's obviously been scouted by Hamburg and is seen as being good enough for them, Rangers would have had him sign a new deal if they could afford it, and McLeish would have called him up but for injury. 

He's actually similar to McKenna. Similar type of defender, same age, didn't get rave reviews last year and has broken through this year. He's not played as many games but that's only due to injury. Hopefully that's not a fragility in him. 

Tbf to bates he went from Raith to rangers which was a big step up and he struggled a bit at first. But He's shown this season that he does the basics of defending well and he is only 21 so can always improve in the future. Hopefully this move helps him get better and we see him become a bundesliga defender in the future.

What's his background in football ? Just wondering where Hamburg or their scouts know him from ? Just his brief stint at Ibrox or via youth football, or has he been in the international set up ?

As has been mentioned, looks like a good move where he is going to get that technical and tactical education that we seem to be missing out on in Scotland. Hamburg a big club but looking likely to be in Bundesliga 2 next season, so roughly similar to English championship level for him ?

Edited by killiefaetheferry

1 hour ago, Langtonian said:

Hes no more than a decent defender and theres a multitude of them around.Were not blessed with exactly outstanding defenders in our national team but Bates touted for Scotland,c,mon

He’s huge though, so i suppose that’s why he’s seen as a good prospect and he’s got a good turn of pace despite what you might read.

5 hours ago, Langtonian said:

Hes no more than a decent defender and theres a multitude of them around.Were not blessed with exactly outstanding defenders in our national team but Bates touted for Scotland,c,mon

Tbf we don't have any top class CBS and he is only 21, if he can go onto develop into a bundesliga CB then he would easily be good enough for scotland. Wether that will happen is another question. He does do the basics of defending well but is technically not a great footballer but at the age of 21 he can maybe improve which Hamburg have perhaps thought is a possibility too.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, Parklife said:

Agree, a couple of good games. Will end up like Oliver Burke when he moved to Germany I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, andyD said:

Moving on the the English Premier League within a year, eh? Sounds pretty good!

Being back in the championship where he started a year later doesn't sound quite so good though. 

What I find most encouraging (and without downplaying Scottish football too much) is that a big team like Hamburg is even looking at Scottish teams in the first place for players. 

Good luck to him. I'm sure this will do wonders for development. 

I'm sure loads of Hamburg players will have a relegation clause in their contract and will be offskie if they go down so hopefully this means he'll get game time. 

On 4/24/2018 at 7:38 AM, McDange said:

What I find most encouraging (and without downplaying Scottish football too much) is that a big team like Hamburg is even looking at Scottish teams in the first place for players. 

Good luck to him. I'm sure this will do wonders for development. 

I'm sure loads of Hamburg players will have a relegation clause in their contract and will be offskie if they go down so hopefully this means he'll get game time. 

Big plus right enough as you say. We’ve not completely disappeared from the fitba’ map I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Still be playing at a higher level

Might actually get a game

I think your first point is arguable, I'm not sure Bundesliga 2 is a higher level than the SPFL.