Commonwealth Games - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Commonwealth Games

biffer

No thread on this that I can see, so here's a start.

Great watching the Scottish Basketball boys beat England yesterday, best start possible for them. 

Katie Archibald absolutely dominant in the Individual pursuit, great gold medal.

Pity Hannah Miley din't make it 3 in a row, that would've been a tremendous achievement.

And Neil Fachie gold again in the tandem cycling, well done lad.

We're currently fourth in the medal table - with two golds, four silvers and four bronzes. We got 19 golds, 15 silvers and 19 bronzes in 2014 (fourth place - our joint best finish) and nine golds, ten silvers and seven bronzes in 2010 (tenth place) for context.

1 hour ago, neilser said:

Gold medal in the pool just now  for Duncan Scott in the 100m freestyle, beating the reigning Olympic champion in the process - fecking superb!

What a swim, came from well back to beat Chad Le Clos and Kyle Chalmers. Take a bow son!

Current Medal Table.

1. Australia - G31 - S25 - B28
  2. England - G19 - S19 - B9
  3. Canada - G7 - S15 - B10
  4. India - G7 - B2 - B3
  5. Scotland - G6 - S7 - B10
  6. New Zealand - G4 - S7 - B6
  7. South Africa - G4 - S1 - B4
  8. Wales  - G3 - S4 - B3
  9. Cyprus - G2 - S0 - B2
  10. Malaysia - G2 - S0 - B1

Got to love what the Basketball team have done. Eighth ranked of the eight teams at the tournament, they wan all three group games and have just beaten Nigeria to get into the semifinals! Brilliant stuff from them and regardless of the semifinal result they should be very proud of their achievement!

3 hours ago, biffer said:

Got to love what the Basketball team have done. Eighth ranked of the eight teams at the tournament, they wan all three group games and have just beaten Nigeria to get into the semifinals! Brilliant stuff from them and regardless of the semifinal result they should be very proud of their achievement!

Just to emphasise how big an achievement this is, Nigeria are ranked 32 in the world and are the highest ranked team in the world. the GB team is ranked 40th. Only two of the Scottish squad were in the GB squad for the European Championships last year. 

34 minutes ago, biffer said:

Just to emphasise how big an achievement this is, Nigeria are ranked 32 in the world and are the highest ranked team in the world. the GB team is ranked 40th. Only two of the Scottish squad were in the GB squad for the European Championships last year. 

The last ranking I can find for Scotland before merging into a unified GB team was 88th. This is a very impressive achievement.

I think the Scottish team voted to Merge with England in (2014/15) as Team GB as they thought they would be better...

Seems they would be better themselves.

Better Together my arse...

A we bit like our country as a whole...

BBC cruel. Bit miffed picking out Beth Goodwin from the Women's netball. The women did fantastically well against a strong Malawi team who'd beaten them by 30 odd points last time they met. Goodwin who'd played really well throughout missed a couple of shots in the dying seconds and so Malawi won by a single point.Just seemed wrong for the BBC to highlight that rather than the team effort. Yes Goodwin is playing for the seniors but she's still a teenagerand I just felt it was out of order to pick on a youngster.

2 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

For a minute I thought it was Tattie Marshall in the bowls but I see we've got a diving gold now too :lol:

I see that Tattie has become Scotland's most successful Commonwealth athlete. No disrespect to bowls but 'athlete', is that not pushing it a wee bit?

15 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Callum Hawkins fae Elderslie romping it in the marathon :ok:

Not any more

Delirious

Good bronze for Wightman yesterday in the 1500, at one stage thought he might just pip one of Kenyans for silver. Girls did well in the 4x400 to get a national record, Doyle and Clark are good but shows lack of depth when we have to press an 800m runner in. Maybe we should follow Team England's example and pinch Anguillan athletes who have never lived in England and have no English ancestors!