Ray Wilkins dead - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ray Wilkins dead

Awful news - passed away at the age of 61

One of the finest players that's graced the English game

Strolled through his time up here

19 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Awful news - passed away at the age of 61

One of the finest players that's graced the English game

Strolled through his time up here

Used to watch him a lot at Hibs, sort of got me off guard with this brought back a flood of memories watching him.

I recall being in a hotel bar in Manachester with a group of mates all blethering about football. Unknown to us he was at a near by table with his back to us before he came over, bought a monster round of drinks and sat down for an hour with us shooting the shit about football. Clearly a bright guy and came across as a complete gent.

One of the few players that really bucks the ‘thick footballer’ stereotype.

Just heard the news as I'm on Islay visiting the in-laws. Absolutely gutted.

One of a very few world class players I've had the privilege to watch at Ibrox. 

Been listening to him on Talk sport recently with Alan Brazil and he was always good value with intelligent insight and sensible opinions. 

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

61 is no age as well.  Scorer of one of my favourite Rangers goals.  I could recite the commentary off by heart when I was a boy!!

Aye it's funny I used be able to recite loads of jock brown commentaries in the early 90s when I was a bairn.

Aye too young to remember him playing but didn't mind listening to ray Wilkins whenever he spoke on telly, came across as a great guy, sad loss.

Edit - For relevance QPR should be before the 1hr 30 mins

DZ9MmKOXUAAqM4l.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo

43 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Sounds like a good bloke. Frustrated me in his England days by his refusal to make a forward pass.

The most memorable time I ever saw him play live was the 1983 Cup Final replay (Man Utd. v Brighton), so I dug up the highlights yesterday -  United won 4-0 & his cutting passes were a key factor in Albion's demise that evening...almost makes you think that England must have a policy of employing noddies for managers.

5 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

The most memorable time I ever saw him play live was the 1983 Cup Final replay (Man Utd. v Brighton), so I dug up the highlights yesterday -  United won 4-0 & his cutting passes were a key factor in Albion's demise that evening...almost makes you think that England must have a policy of employing noddies for managers.

. He did get 84 caps though, so obviously played a fair percentage of the games he was available for. 

If anyone listened to talksport this week I hope they heard the story from the guy who was homeless ex army. If you haven't heard it go and listen, it just shows you that one wee bit of kindness can go a long way, and in some circumstances change a life. I genuinely never knew much about the guy but the more I read and hear the more he sounds like one of the good guys.