Ronaldo - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

15 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I've now seen it and I'm not really understanding the hype......... I'm sure I've seen better overhead kicks.

Indeed. Mario Manzukic scored a better overhead kick in the last champions league final and it didn't get half as much chugging as this one is getting. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

That's not really relevant to the point being made but okay :ok: 

Which point though? You made a few. And if Real have a better goal difference than when Ronaldo 1 was playing could that not possibly mean they have a better main striker now?

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

I've now seen it and I'm not really understanding the hype......... I'm sure I've seen better overhead kicks.

I'd agree there but his play in the build up was tremendous. He wasn't just loitering for a cross.

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Which point though? You made a few. And if Real have a better goal difference than when Ronaldo 1 was playing could that not possibly mean they have a better main striker now?

It's a pattern across European football, not isolated to two single seasons at one club. 

15 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

As I said, let's see who comes to the fore from the next generation.

In the meantime a gift for you all...

ronaldo-pants.jpg

The next generation is irellevent to the discussion though. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

The next generation is irellevent to the discussion though. 

Well it was yourself who suggested it's easier to score for Real Madrid these days, in which case they should be able to replace Ronaldo with another striker who will score more than a goal a game for a decade.

I reckon they'll struggle to do that, and I also think the original Ronaldo would struggle to achieve a strike rate like that in the current era.

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Well it was yourself who suggested it's easier to score for Real Madrid these days, in which case they should be able to replace Ronaldo with another striker who will score more than a goal a game for a decade.

I reckon they'll struggle to do that, and I also think the original Ronaldo would struggle to achieve a strike rate like that in the current era.

I understand parkies point, real and Barca completely dominate their opponents. The opposition is weaker because the big teams can afford to fill their team with superstars to compliments the likes of Ronaldo and Messi.

I don't like it when the media calls Ronaldo orMessi the best ever because it's impossible to qualify who is the best ever. Would maradonna or pele thrive if they were surrounded by the best in the world and today's sports science and fitness? We will never know.

Ronaldo is an incredible players but he's an absolute wanker, I hate narsacists like him. It's about him rather than the team. I prefer team players.

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Those two things do not follow at all. They'd only achieve similar productivity if they replaced him with a player of a similar level. 

I think the stats Messi and Ronaldo have are probably partly reflective of Barca and Reals domination of Spanish and European football, but would Barca be the dominant force they’ve been without Messi?

No matter how dominant their sides have been their goalscoring records are unbelievable and the consistency they both have to do it twice a week season on season is amazing.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Ronaldo is an incredible players but he's an absolute wanker, I hate narsacists like him. It's about him rather than the team. I prefer team players.

Hard to argue there, although I was surprised at how animated and happy he was when Portugal won the Euros, in a game he barely played in.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Hard to argue there, although I was surprised at how animated and happy he was when Portugal won the Euros, in a game he barely played in.

looks good on his c.v, doubt he was thinking about the country as a whole or his teammates 

17 minutes ago, dan cake said:

looks good on his c.v, doubt he was thinking about the country as a whole or his teammates 

149 caps, 81 goals

If he didn't care he would have long retired from international duty to extend his club career

Like our players do

Edited by Bino's

42 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Standing on the touch line like he was managing the team was almost as bad as John Terry’s full kit wanker moment 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Standing on the touch line like he was managing the team was almost as bad as John Terry’s full kit wanker moment 

Yup. Pure attention seeking. Ensuring he remained the "star" despite not being involved. 

6 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I think the stats Messi and Ronaldo have are probably partly reflective of Barca and Reals domination of Spanish and European football, but would Barca be the dominant force they’ve been without Messi?

No.

As much as I love Xavi etc this Barcelona team has only been as successful because of Messi.

Especially this season. 

10 hours ago, Bino's said:

149 caps, 81 goals

If he didn't care he would have long retired from international duty to extend his club career

Like our players do

Good point, looking at his stats since 2010 Ronaldo's played between 49 and 61 games a season.

10 hours ago, Bino's said:

149 caps, 81 goals

Like our players do

Of course he loves playing for Portugal.

It's his country and he's an even bigger fish in a smaller pond than playing at Real, so he gets even more attention and adulation.

Ronaldo only wanted Portugal to win the European Championship because it looked good on his CV and to make himself a bigger star?!

There is some amount of shite posted on here sometimes :lol:

Ronaldo is an unbelievable player. Shite at free-kicks but a master of almost everything else you'd want in an attacking player. He will be missed when he eventually retires. 

For the record, I prefer Messi. The best ever. 

On 05/04/2018 at 7:22 PM, Toepoke said:

The real fat Ron placed in the current era would have destroyed Messi and Ronaldo of he had stayed fit and healthy. He got a bad injury and had to change his whole game.

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

That was just Ronaldo at his full out wanker, look at me best. Create a show about me away from the football.

9 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

22 hours ago, dan cake said:

Just like his antics in Euro 2012 penalty shootout when he insisted on going last so he could grab the glory of scoring the winning spot kick. Didn’t turn out so well for him that day.  He’s a fantastic player no question and one of the best ever, but also a preening, narcissistic, complete and utter bellend who sees himself as far more important than the team.  And when things aren’t going his way he’s a whingeing, diving, play acting little tosser.

1 hour ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Just like his antics in Euro 2012 penalty shootout when he insisted on going last so he could grab the glory of scoring the winning spot kick. Didn’t turn out so well for him that day.  He’s a fantastic player no question and one of the best ever, but also a preening, narcissistic, complete and utter bellend who sees himself as far more important than the team.  And when things aren’t going his way he’s a whingeing, diving, play acting little tosser.

Agreed.

On another thread there is talk of a friendly against Portugal , with Ronaldo being used as the attraction. There is no doubt at all about his talent but the last player I  want to see scoring a hat trick against us is that arrogant tosser. He reminds me of a plastic ‘Ken’ and Barbie doll , and that is with the greatest respect to Ken.