England v Scotland 1977 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England v Scotland 1977

Zidane

I am pretty sure the whole game does not exist.

As I understand it BBC Sport only hold highlights - albeit a slightly longer edit than that on the Great Wembley Victories DVD.

ITV Sport archived the whole match but when I inquired about a copy approximately five years ago the second half had been lost as complete games were stored on two separate digital tapes.

It is possible it was misfiled in the library and MAY have turned up but my contact there has now left so I can't check.

A similar thing happened to the 1970 Northern Ireland V Scotland match where a search also only came up with the first half.

9 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Those games were on live, back in the day. You can get some bits and pieces on you tube but not the whole game.

On BBC & STV too. As was the cup final. Mental when there were only 3 channels, BBC2 only for non fitba fans!

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:14 AM, Toepoke said:

On BBC & STV too. As was the cup final. Mental when there were only 3 channels, BBC2 only for non fitba fans!

Good old days, used to love the home internationals v England, Northern Ireland and Wales when it had a meaning. Sky seem to have all the privileges now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately back in those days a lot of film was required to film matches, and the master tapes would take up a lot of space, so 80% of the match would end up on the cutting room floor (apparently ITV and BBC are prepared to pay big money for any old VHS tapes these days that might contain shows they binned from their vaults decades ago.... granted, this will only be for stuff from the mid 80's onward).

STV football vaults is suppose to be a treasure trove of fantastic football action, but they charge a fortune for access to it (Aberdeen tried to get footage of Zoltan Varga and a wonder goal he scored against Celtic to put up on their website just after he died, but STV wanted silly money for it) and most of what they have is grainy 4-5 minute footage that has been hacked from the master tape (Michael Grant wrote a book on Aberdeen under Fergie few years back, and got access to the archive for the 1978 Scottish Cup final, but the footage was as good as useless).

Not to say something might not turn up one day, last year a Butch football collector uncovered the long lost master tape for Aberdeen v Waterschei in 1983 (including stuff not shown on tv, like a "Pitch invasion" from some eccentric Belgium fan before the teams came out) and has been posting clips on Youtube.

9 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

I'm sure I have this on DVD which was a freebie with newspaper though it's probably lost in the loft and it might be 1967 not 77.

I recall this and think it was 67

On 4/8/2018 at 3:24 PM, robbo cop said:

Good old days, used to love the home internationals v England, Northern Ireland and Wales when it had a meaning. Sky seem to have all the privileges now. 

The England games, and indeed the cup finals, at the weekend are an abiding memory

It felt like the whole morning and right up to 3pm was the build up - Grandstand starting early and interviews with players and celebrities etc 

11 hours ago, wanderer said:

Unfortunately back in those days a lot of film was required to film matches, and the master tapes would take up a lot of space, so 80% of the match would end up on the cutting room floor 

I thought it was due to the cost of the videotape? Many were wiped and used again.

42 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The England games, and indeed the cup finals, at the weekend are an abiding memory

It felt like the whole morning and right up to 3pm was the build up - Grandstand starting early and interviews with players and celebrities etc 

Cup final Cartoon Cavalcade!

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I thought it was due to the cost of the videotape? Many were wiped and used again.

Its a mixture of both.

They would keep all the good bits from the match (which would probably be 15-20 minutes of action) and as you said, the rest of the tape would be cut to be used elsewhere.

Its actually quite shocking just what is actually filmed on the day, a friend of mine had a copy of the master tape from a Scotland game in the late 90's (think its Yugoslavia away), and the first 10-15 minutes is just the camera zooming all over the place, while a mic feed can be heard going "is that fine Dave?" and occasional voices going backwards and forward, before you get into the what was the live feed shown on tv.

someone mentioned the 75 game - the 5-0 game with bobby clark in goal - think that was wednesday night  - did they not play some club games on the same nights as internationals too back then

i met tommy mcmillan in the grill about 20yrs back , was talking about the 67 final v celtic, then the 70 final ; which he reckoned a lot of the footage had been wiped - i've seen 3 different highlights versions i think (yet to see the actual penalty incident) but the AFC red web had a good version some time back where you get to see the disallowed goal ; jinky ? that looks perfectly legal , and the sublime back heel in the build up to a dons attack

i also saw the b&w footage of the open top bus homecoming ; which was actually my first ever football (related) memory as saw the bus cross the bridge of dee as a 4yr old

was at the 2-3 game at pittodrie where zoltan varga got 2 i think ? (woman hit by a dart in king st end ) we used to sit in the paddock/king st end - too young to figure out was away fans - was really before full on segregation tho as you could get between the 3 parts of the ground - aside from the main stand

was a 2-2 game v rangers where we had to go to the south terrace as paddock full up ; was on my dads shoulders ; 30k ish in the old ground in those days old 1st division, early 70s

BBC Scotland don't have any complete Scottish Cup Finals from the '70s - and remember only the last three were shown live.

I wouldn't say any footage of the 1970 final had been wiped unless you are referring to the film not kept once the highlights had been edited for broadcast. I can tell you that particular Cup Final edition of Sportsreel has been archived complete. Incidentally that was the last SCF filmed in black and white. I have also seen the STV footage of the goals only with Alex Cameron commentating - again in black and white. 

I think you are referring to some colour newsreel of the game which features on the Dons centenary DVD in your post as does colour action from the '67 final. I suspect the latter may have been filmed by Celtics own film unit who were active at the time and who recorded the Final in Lisbon in colour.

I don't believe any of the 1979 SCF exists as the Beeb were unable to find any for a preview feature on that game when Hibs played Rangers in the final a couple of years ago.

On Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 4:40 AM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

someone mentioned the 75 game - the 5-0 game with bobby clark in goal - think that was wednesday night  -  

I think that was in 73, on a frozen Hampden pitch that suited England more.

The 75 game was a 5-1 gubbing at Wembley with Stewart Kennedy in goal.

11 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

I don't believe any of the 1979 SCF exists as the Beeb were unable to find any for a preview feature on that game when Hibs played Rangers in the final a couple of years ago.

Maybe because the first 2 games were 0-0. And the second replay which ended 3-2 wasn't on TV.

I remember the first game was live on the Saturday, there were just highlights of the replay and the 2nd replay was only on radio. I think there might have been a strike on (the league decider at Celtic Park that year also had no TV coverage due to industrial action).

On 5/7/2018 at 8:03 AM, Larky Masher said:

My Dad took me to that, the coldest I can remember being at a football match.

thinking back to many a cold day at pittodrie , especially the new years game v st johnstone in 84? where abandoned at half time , daft loons not dressed for a full on arctic blizzard on walk back to town

but likely the coldest ; in that diifficult to describe aside from the term "jeeled" would have been peterhead v raith rovers cup replay 86/87 midweek - drinking all afternoon may have added to the cold

half day of college , double decker bus to peterhead, tour of local pubs before recreation park - recall dons were playing at love st the same night ; and crowd at peterhead was bigger....