Who would you have back in the squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who would you have back in the squad

robbo cop

Having seen some new additions to the squad and team in the last two friendlies, I am fairly pleased that we have seen a few decent players who can step up now. I still think we can do with some more experienced players who were not in the latest squad, such as Snodgrass and possibly Mcarthur. Not so sure about the likes of James Morrison and Barry Bannan. As for Darren Fletcher who I think has been a good servant for us, alot will depend on his fitness. As for strikers I think we have seen the last of Martin, Fletcher, and Naismith, although the lack of quality strikers coming through is our weakest spot. 

Snoddy, Tierney and Griffiths. Personally disappointed to see Brown retire, and I think there is much more to come from McDonald , Cairney and McTominay although I don't really think anyone got pass marks against Costa Rica other than McKenna. 

McCormack needs a move asap, although he scored for fun in the Australian A league, I can see him going back to Leeds in the summer 

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5563887/amp/Ryan-Gauld-ex-Dundee-wonderkid-aiming-career-top.html

Apologies  for the fascist rag, but some interesting words from Gauld. He might be worth taking on the summer tour, if only to get games. 

I honestly hope I’m wrong but he’s 22 and if he’s struggling to keep his place in the team for the Portuguese equivalent of St Johnstone I’m not holding out much hope for the lad.

It does sound like he’s had some injury problems to be fair to him and if he can kick on and sign for a better team then I’m all for him getting selected.

I don’t agree that he should get a call up at the moment though. There are plenty of guys playing for better teams in Scotland and England that should be in before him in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I honestly hope I’m wrong but he’s 22 and if he’s struggling to keep his place in the team for the Portuguese equivalent of St Johnstone I’m not holding out much hope for the lad.

It does sound like he’s had some injury problems to be fair to him and if he can kick on and sign for a better team then I’m all for him getting selected.

I don’t agree that he should get a call up at the moment though. There are plenty of guys playing for better teams in Scotland and England that should be in before him in my opinion.  

I wouldn’t call him up for a competitive game but the summer friendlies tick boxes. He was more or less good enough at Utd so it would be interesting to see him now.

15 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I wouldn’t call him up for a competitive game but the summer friendlies tick boxes. He was more or less good enough at Utd so it would be interesting to see him now.

He hasn’t really done anything to warrant a call up though. 

There will no doubt be a lot of call offs for the games in May and June so maybe McLeish will be tempted to call him up to have a look at him. I can’t see it though. Especially if he isn’t starting regularly by the end of the season.

If Gauld is going to break into the Scotland squad I think he’ll either need to go back to Lisbon and force his way into the team, get a permanent move to a decent team or at the very least become a mainstay at Aves. 

He is still young and time is on his side but we won’t be able to say that for much longer. 

On 02/04/2018 at 2:19 PM, Texas Pete said:

Lets remember though that the Portuguese league is a standard above the SPL. Sure he is still some way of a place in our squad at present. He needs regular first team football on a long-term basis and even if that is to be at his current club then he should be considered seriously.

Does an experienced player like Charlie Adam never gets a look in these days?

I don't understand the "we must blood the youngsters" philisophy for a national team.  Just field the best team.  If you're good enough you're old enough both ways.  If McGinn was all that he'd be playing in the Premiership not Hibs.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

3 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

If McGinn was all that he'd be playing in the Premiership not Hibs.

:lol: Belter. 

Aye, fuck that actually watching players and assessing their abilities, judging how they'll fit in to the team, etc. Just pick the 11 players that play for the best teams. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

:lol: Belter. 

Aye, fuck that actually watching players and assessing their abilities, judging how they'll fit in to the team, etc. Just pick the 11 players that play for the best teams. 

I think we should be buidling the team around proven, premiership class players when they're available (we don't have many).  Clearly the 20 best clubs don't think he cuts it at that level.  He's 23, not a teenager.

1 minute ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I think we should be buidling the team around proven, premiership class players when they're available (we don't have many).  Clearly the 20 best clubs don't think he cuts it at that level.  He's 23, not a teenager.

Charlie Adam is a proven failure. He's played 26 times for Scotland and, bar the odd good performance, has been pretty shite. He now struggles to get in an absolutely dire Stoke team. 

I'm sorry but no way in hell is he more worthy of a place in the Scotland team than John McGinn. 

Your logic remind me of when Faddy & Fletch on here argued with me that Danny Fox was better than Lee Wallace because "if Wallace was as good, he'd be playing with Celtic and not Hearts". Deeply, deeply flawed "logic". 

15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Charlie Adam is a proven failure. He's played 26 times for Scotland and, bar the odd good performance, has been pretty shite. He now struggles to get in an absolutely dire Stoke team. 

I'm sorry but no way in hell is he more worthy of a place in the Scotland team than John McGinn. 

Your logic remind me of when Faddy & Fletch on here argued with me that Danny Fox was better than Lee Wallace because "if Wallace was as good, he'd be playing with Celtic and not Hearts". Deeply, deeply flawed "logic". 

Can't remember any particularly howling games to be honest that he was a stand out poor player.  I'm not really seeing much of a difference between Danny Fox and Lee Wallace.  Neither were or are particularly great.  Old Firm v smaller SPFL clubs is not quite the same as small SPFL versus English Premiership.  There's plenty of £££s backing my logic, i'm afraid.

Despite my post, Im not actually campaigning for Charlie Adam per se to be in the squad.  I'm pointing out i'd pick Premiership players over middle of the road SPFL players if they were available and were a decent fit.  I certainly wouldn't be pushing that a Hibs player is the great hope.

edited to add:

my main point actually is I find the age thing a red herring.  We did better when we had experienced players, not continually changing things with new youngsters.  

Edited by PapofGlencoe

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Does an experienced player like Charlie Adam never gets a look in these days?

I don't understand the "we must blood the youngsters" philisophy for a national team.  Just field the best team.  If you're good enough you're old enough both ways.  If McGinn was all that he'd be playing in the Premiership not Hibs.

You do have to draw the line some were with age, football is a team  game and I would want players that have the potential to be around for two campaigns 

McGinn is a worry in as much that his boss only values him at £3 million

balea him

Despite my post, Im not actually campaigning for Charlie Adam per se to be in the squad.  I'm pointing out i'd pick Premiership players over middle of the road SPFL players if they were available and were a decent fit.

So you don't watch players and would just pick them on the basis of the team they played for? Seems a bizarre way to go about things but each to their own. 

I certainly wouldn't be pushing that a Hibs player is the great hope.

Don't think anyone is doing that tbh. Folk merely think he's a good player and deserves a chance. Personally, i don't even think he's the best Scottish center midfielder at Hibs.