Callum Paterson - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Callum Paterson

bluebird27

I’m a Cardiff City fan, living in South Wales. On my last Visit to Hamden in June, for The England game, Many Hearts fans were talking to me in The Iron Horse, expressing their Regret- That we had Nicked Their best player off them - And how he’d get us 10 goals a season from Full back. I was a bit sceptical, but how true they were.  He plays Midfield for us, and I think he’s up to 12 goals now. The fans love him, and hopefully we’ll get promoted to The Premier league, where  he should develop further which will also benefit Scotland!!  Apologies to all Hearts fans, but he really has been a great addition to our Team

43 minutes ago, bluebird27 said:

I’m a Cardiff City fan, living in South Wales. On my last Visit to Hamden in June, for The England game, Many Hearts fans were talking to me in The Iron Horse, expressing their Regret- That we had Nicked Their best player off them - And how he’d get us 10 goals a season from Full back. I was a bit sceptical, but how true they were.  He plays Midfield for us, and I think he’s up to 12 goals now. The fans love him, and hopefully we’ll get promoted to The Premier league, where  he should develop further which will also benefit Scotland!!  Apologies to all Hearts fans, but he really has been a great addition to our Team

Pleased to see Dr Funk return as strong after his long injury. He was obviously never a right back when he played with us and did look better when he played further up the pitch. 

Had no doubt he would do well in the championship as he is such a strong unit with an eye for goal, hopefully he can make the step to to the premiership.

We also have a significant sell on clause so if you could sell him for lots of £££ that would be great 👍

Think the only way to get out of the problem of playing half the team out of position is to play Tierney at right back.  I know he's not a right back but then no one else with a Scottish granny is either.

3-5-2  and Robertson. Teirney, and Paterson are all out of position and there is no were to even think about playing Barry Douglas.

I see that Neil Lennon has slapped a £5 million price tag on McGinn? Take it that means he is a bit over rated on here. Would make the centre of midfield easier to sort out.

He's been awesome this season and if City go up it will be a lot to do with him.

At 1-1 and again at 2-1 yesterday I wasn’t worried and said to the guys beside me that we’ll be fine as Paterson hasn’t had his goal yet. Sure enough up he popped to fire in the third.

Great young player, aye, def never a right back, one of the best first time crossers of the ball I've ever seen. Gutted he's no with us any more but then Levein would probably have him playing left back or something equally pointless. 

It's all about opinions I guess, but I've always thought that he's a very poor footballer, and the outing against Costa Rica only reinforced that opinion. Don't get me wrong, he's got some really effective attributes - he's big, strong, athletic and has an eye for goal - but technically and tactically I've always thought he was lightyears away from being international standard.

Not meaning to be negative for the sake of it - I hope he has me eating my words when his goals from right back send us through to the Euros!

21 minutes ago, dieselarmy said:

It's all about opinions I guess, but I've always thought that he's a very poor footballer, and the outing against Costa Rica only reinforced that opinion. Don't get me wrong, he's got some really effective attributes - he's big, strong, athletic and has an eye for goal - but technically and tactically I've always thought he was lightyears away from being international standard.

Not meaning to be negative for the sake of it - I hope he has me eating my words when his goals from right back send us through to the Euros!

he's not a right back 

For me, we've got to be thinking about using him in central mid. He's the standout player we have there right now, and if we'd going to play a 3511 then one of the central midfield 3 needs to be the kind of player who gets forward and gets goals. McGregor's probably the 2nd best in terms of end product, but Paterson has more goals in a worse side at a more competitive level.

It leaves a bit of a ? on the right back slot, but we do have options there.

Phil Bardsley for one could come back into the fold. Still a premier league right back.
If we're playing wing backs, then Anya has the engine to do the job and there's a man covering for him defensively.
Ralston's playing regularly now, albeit in the Scottish Championship.
Donald Love seems to be back in favour somewhat at Sunderland, and seems to be better as a wingback than fullback.

We've also got younger players like Jamie Brandon and Dan Meredith who might develop rapidly if they get game time.
I haven't seen anything of Jordan McGhee at Falkirk this season, so comment welcome on whether he's showing promise again.

Personally id' get away from the 3511 that McLeish used and stick to a 451, with Tierney and Robertson down the left.
Something like:

Gordon
Bardsley - Mulgrew - McKenna - Tierney
Fraser - McDonald - Paterson - Armstrong - Robertson
Griffiths

Wait, ex hearts right back Patterson scores yet again for Cardiff? Some player this boy, scoring all these goals from right back - he needs to be our first choice right back going by this form I'd say.

From what I’ve seen of Paterson, he’s the absolute stereotype English championship player. Big, strong, good in the air and a bit of an athlete. Kinda dire technical attributes and won’t get a sniff of the team next season if they were to go up.

if we play him in centre mid or behind the striker instead of mcginn, Armstrong, McGregor, mctominay, McLean etc then we’ll deserve all we get when we fail to qualify yet again.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Wait, ex hearts right back Patterson scores yet again for Cardiff? Some player this boy, scoring all these goals from right back - he needs to be our first choice right back going by this form I'd say.

I'm with you. Ye canna knock all these goals for a full back. If it was a Brazilian doing it from right back, he'd be hailed as the new Cafu.

Paterson is not playing right back.
He's played a total of 3 games there this season, and 14 in central midfield.

He's scored 0 goals from right back.
3 from right mid, and 6 from central midfield, including 4 in his last 5 games.

9 minutes ago, andyD said:

Paterson is not playing right back.
He's played a total of 3 games there this season, and 14 in central midfield.

He's scored 0 goals from right back.
3 from right mid, and 6 from central midfield, including 4 in his last 5 games.

See that's your opinion, but for a right back to get himself into those midfield and forward areas to get amongst the goals......he must have some engine to get himself back into his actual right back berth. He could end up our best right back since the days of Jardine and McGrain.

Patterson is a decent footballer... I’m not convinced he is quite international level (I define international level as good enough to be average I a team that would qualify us for a tournament).  

I don’t think he is a good enough defender to play right back.  Maybe a wing back but more realistically right hand side of a midfield 4 or 5.  Patterson could be a good squad/utility player.

We dont have any right backs....