Argentina Memeries - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Argentina Memeries

stocky

ooops just noticed spelling mistake in Title.... I cannae edit it noo....

Aye a great article, 

I remember a fter Argentina, my Pal, Who had no interest in Fitba at all, was staying at the same Hotel as Souness was, after the World cup, somewhere in Spain. His dad got Talink to Souness and he was telling his that Ally MacLoed wanted to play Souness and Gemmill for the first two games but Rioch and Masson ( old timers , long established players) sort of Blackmaoled MacLoed into playing them instead of the new guys, using Loyalty etc as their excuse. 

If only Ally had stuck to his guns, like the article states above.....

As a wee side note....My mate grew a Souness Mustache not long after that and he still sports it today.......

Good read that cheers. Albeit depressing to be reminded of. Fortunately I was too to be that badly affected but a generation of Scotsmen must've  been traumatised. I don't think my dad's had positive thoughts about Scotland since.

That's a famous shot I haven't seen for a while...

Scotland-fans-celebrate-009.jpg?w=445&q=

Edited by Toepoke

Good article. Was at the Bulgaria, Ni and Wales home matches before WC but not England one (in those days tickets for England matches were got by ballot, folk sent those postcards with no photos and I was lucky in 1976 and in 1980 but not in 1978). Must have been 80,000 at NI and Wales matches and over 60,000 at Bulgaria match (played in monsoon I remember).

Argentina was obviously traumatic for fans but we still had a big support in Vienna 3 months later. It was my first away match and there must have been about 5000 Scots there including hundreds of soldiers  who`d travelled from Germany. 

• 2 months later...

The History channel is showing the FIFA World Cup films

1970 was today

Peru were no mugs and lost 4-2 to eventual winners and arguably the greatest of all WC teams - Brazil in the Quarter finals

In 1972 we played Peru at Hampden and huffed and puffed to a 2-0 win - but again Peru showed they were tasty in parts

Peru were South American champions in 1975 and in 1977 lost in the final to Brazil (Argentina had a bye granted)

It's outrageous that we didnt do our homework

Iran was just a disgrace and the Scotland team turned into overpaid individuals - that result falls all on the starting 11

Masson's penalty changed everything

When he missed you could actually see the whole confidence draining out the team and it carried onto the Iran game until the last 10 minutes when we actually started to play, realising they were shite

If Masson puts us 2-1 in front we have something to hold onto and the heat and humidity becomes less noticeable

Awful

35 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Was it that hot? It was the start of winter down there.

Certainly looked warm and they players looked fucked after 60 minutes !

Edited by Ally Bongo