Ads - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Board is now almost unreadable - jumping up and down to whatever ad is the flavour of the day

Posting this was also difficult

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Board is now almost unreadable - jumping up and down to whatever ad is the flavour of the day

Posting this was also difficult

I was just thinking the same. I know they are a necessary evil for the maintenance of the TAMB but it's getting worse and close to unbearable.

Doing my nut in.

30 minutes ago, fringo said:

It's actually got worse in the last few minutes/hours. I'm guessing some work is being done just now as my laptop screen is jumping up and down every few words that I type.

Try posting on an iphone 5s. I  almost bought one of those patchwork shirts  by mistake . 

Ghostery works well for me getting shut of a lot of adverts on most places I ever frequent. There's a Ghostery browser as well on iPhone (probably for Android as well I imagine) & AdBlock works well on iPhone.

And this is the far better Smash advert:

The previous incumbents were in motion to wind the tamb up due to running costs

It’s a pity Jeremy Corbyn isn't the new custodian of the board and running things on his imaginary money tree

Maybe you’d prefer to pay a premium cost to access the board?

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Does ma heid in, one slip of the finger and stuff like this pops up...

Jeezo, its seems like only yesterday that ad was on.

I could almost recite it word for word just there, yet it took  me 10 mins to remember where I left my specs in order to watch it 🙁

The ads for me are annoying in that they just wait for me to scroll then they pop up.  Relevance wise, they are usually not anything related to anything I'd normally buy etc.

if it was tailored I'd be getting bombarded with sites to buy musical theatre tickets or remedies for sciatica!

1 hour ago, Mindimoo said:

The ads for me are annoying in that they just wait for me to scroll then they pop up.  Relevance wise, they are usually not anything related to anything I'd normally buy etc.

if it was tailored I'd be getting bombarded with sites to buy musical theatre tickets or remedies for sciatica!

I'd also check out sites for that green skin - I know I have.

BTW the ads have started going mental again tonight just now.

The site needs ads but they need to be better managed/edited.

On 29/03/2018 at 11:15 PM, Clyde1998 said:

I'm using adblock because of pop up ads. I don't mind banner ads too much, but ads that force you to interact with them are such a pain in the arse.

Same here, I use firefox add blocker for android. It does the job thankslfully, I was on the verge of jacking in certain forums because of adverts.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/columnists/iain_macwhirter/16114620.Iain_Macwhirter__Facebook__Google_and_Amazon_are_the_robber_barons_of_the_modern_age/

Some time ago, my web and Facebook pages started filling with adverts about funeral arrangements and what I could do with £1 million pounds (I should be so lucky). I wasn't planning on dying any time soon, so this was a little creepy. Did the evil algorithms know something about me that I didn’t? Had Big Data called time on me?

Now, like everyone, I'm used to finding that after I've purchased (say) a pair of walking boots online, that for months afterwards every page seems to be adorned with glossy ads for exactly the ones I've already bought. Why they do this mystifies me. But I have never searched Google or Amazon for coffins, and nor did I ask it or Facebook what I could do with a million bucks. So what was going on here?

Well, as it happened, I had been conducting a lengthy email conversation with a bereaved friend. I had also been exchanging emails with the tax expert, Professor Richard Murphy, about Scottish Labour's plans to tax people who own £1million in property. Could some advertising algorithm have picked this up from my private email and sold the data to funeral arrangers and financial advisers? Surely not. That would be an astonishing invasion of privacy.

I've since learned that people with a Gmail account had been allowing Google to scan the content of your emails for advertising purposes. I don’t have a Gmail account, but many people I correspond with do. Could Google have been harvesting my data indirectly?   ...

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:58 AM, Ormond said:

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing ads for penis size reduction?

Just you and anyone else who's been searching "Big Penises" on Google. That's how algorithms work ...

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

Folk are finding out they have conversations about something then they open their laptop and suddenly getting targeted by the very thing they were talking about, these people have Alexa.

5 hours ago, phart said:

Folk are finding out they have conversations about something then they open their laptop and suddenly getting targeted by the very thing they were talking about, these people have Alexa.

There was a great episode of The X Files a few weeks ago where there was little dialogue, just Mulder and Scully and some technology.  It was as sinister as hell.  Try to catch it.

14 hours ago, phart said:

That’s been happening with Apple iphones for a while now. Happens in our house a lot. Really obscure shit too. 

On 30 March 2018 at 2:58 AM, Ormond said:

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing ads for penis size enlargement?

18 hours ago, Ormond said:

That’s been happening with Apple iphones for a while now. Happens in our house a lot. Really obscure shit too. 

:huh:

• 3 weeks later...