Centre Backs. - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Centre Backs.

marinello

Let’s be honest....  we are talking about a lot of ‘potential’ Centre Halfs and not seasoned professionals able to operate at international level. McKenna, hendry, Souttar, Porteous have all looked decent rookie defenders this season.  I can only really speak about souttar as I have seen him the most but under normal circumstances I wouldn’t want him near a Scotland squad.  Yes, he shows some promise, but he is prone to lapses, inexperienced and inconsistent.  It would be great if we had all these guys coming through to compete for two future spots and try and oust the seasoned international pro when they develop to a consistently high level....  the worry is that 5hey don’t exist.   Personally I would have Berra in but looks like Eck disagrees.

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Let’s be honest....  we are talking about a lot of ‘potential’ Centre Halfs and not seasoned professionals able to operate at international level. McKenna, hendry, Souttar, Porteous have all looked decent rookie defenders this season.  I can only really speak about souttar as I have seen him the most but under normal circumstances I wouldn’t want him near a Scotland squad.  Yes, he shows some promise, but he is prone to lapses, inexperienced and inconsistent.  It would be great if we had all these guys coming through to compete for two future spots and try and oust the seasoned international pro when they develop to a consistently high level....  the worry is that 5hey don’t exist.   Personally I would have Berra in but looks like Eck disagrees.

I agree. It's promising though. If we had a back three i'd go with Tierney, Berra and McKenna. I'd have faith in them although It's funny that i now see Tierney as a reliable old pro which is a mistake if he's in a new position.

Hendry, Souttar and the others will make their way into the squad although i'd still include Mulgrew or Hanley in the squad for now.

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I agree. It's promising though. If we had a back three i'd go with Tierney, Berra and McKenna. I'd have faith in them although It's funny that i now see Tierney as a reliable old pro which is a mistake if he's in a new position.

Hendry, Souttar and the others will make their way into the squad although i'd still include Mulgrew or Hanley in the squad for now.

You'd have 3 left-footers there - need a bit of balance. Hendry, Bates, McCrorie all right footers I think.

6 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Didn't consider that. Not many countries have this problem, surely?

I think there was a relatively recent Scotland game (last 12-24 months ?) where the starting 11 had around 5-7 left footed players.

Must be highly unusual.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Not sure mcrorie is cut out for centre half....  defensive mid or right back?  How about Liam linsdsay... apparently he is not bad... right footer??  He seems to have been forgotten about.

Lindsay is left footed and,  according to McFadden, that’s why he wasn’t called up - too many left footers.

8 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Barnsley are going down and Lindsay has been part of a defence that’s been pretty disgraceful in the championship.

i am not writing him off but maybe it’s not wrong that he hasn’t been included in recent squads. 

How often have you seen Lindsay play? Or are you basing this on a quick glance at the championship table.