Match Thread - Hungary - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread - Hungary

Clyde1998

1 minute ago, Windae cleaner said:

I'm sure Hull had a bid rejected for him but that could just be papertalk

There were three derisory bids received from Hull for McKenna.  All rejected out of hand. Reports suggest Villa are really keen but McKenna has just extended his contract with the Dons. I suspect the extension is just be a smart move by both club and player to increase any prospective fee. 

Will be interesting to see what the Dons consider a selling price........

11 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

There were three derisory bids received from Hull for McKenna.  All rejected out of hand. Reports suggest Villa are really keen but McKenna has just extended his contract with the Dons. I suspect the extension is just be a smart move by both club and player to increase any prospective fee. 

Will be interesting to see what the Dons consider a selling price........

If they add all three Hull bids together it still shouldn't be enough to get him!  

15 hours ago, Toepoke said:

They must be a bit concerned because they are a host nation for Euro2020 like us. It'll be a bummer for them rebuilding the national stadium for the tournament then not qualifying!

It’s a funny one because they won their group at Euro 2016 and seem to have collapsed. Not sure if they had a load of retirements after that tourney or something. 

That is also our worst nightmare. If we don’t qualify we will need to put up with England (asssuming they qualify) playing a group game at our national stadium while we sit twiddling our thumbs. I suppose that’s for another thread though. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That is also our worst nightmare. If we don’t qualify we will need to put up with England (asssuming they qualify) playing a group game at our national stadium while we sit twiddling our thumbs. I suppose that’s for another thread though. 

'Kinell. Is that how it works? That would be absolutely sheeite. 

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You can learn a lot very quickly with the higher standard of coaching and training with the top players that Parkhead allows

Half the Scotland youngsters will be saying that after this weekend.

Interesting thing now is who will McKenna be playing for next season.

Fairish comment but McLeish isnt able to judge how much a player is or has learned from a higher standard of coaching and training with top players.Selection should generally be on the back of playing regularly and well for your club something which McLeish and his staff can judge.As I said,he was playing well at Dundee but didnt merit a call up

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

If they add all three Hull bids together it still shouldn't be enough to get him!  

The fact he’s the fastest player in the Aberdeen squad, built like a brick shithouse, and with a cultured left foot to boot, means it has to be easily £10M. We all know it’ll be about £900k.

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s a funny one because they won their group at Euro 2016 and seem to have collapsed. Not sure if they had a load of retirements after that tourney or something. 

Yes that was the case untill Wembley was awarded the extra group games so that will save us the embarrasment. If Wales qualify they could get Hampden if we are not there.

5 minutes ago, Doric said:

Yes that was the case untill Wembley was awarded the extra group games so that will save us the embarrasment. If Wales qualify they could get Hampden if we are not there.

Hampden and Wembley are paired in Group D though aren’t they? 

If England qualify they could have two games at Wembley and one at Hampden. Or will they get to play all three games at Wembley if we don’t qualify?

15 minutes ago, Doric said:

Never mind, just checked there and England will only play up here if we qualify and our game is to be played in Glasgow. 

Thats a relief. 

4 hours ago, Jacques Hunt said:

'Kinell. Is that how it works? That would be absolutely sheeite. 

Apparently not. If we don’t qualify, England will play all three group games at Wembley. They could still do that even if we do both qualify. 

It would be hilarious if Scotland qualified and they didn’t though. 

15 hours ago, Parklife said:

McGinn did play and played very well. So why do we have folk desperate to shoe-horn in some boy who was as good as missing on Friday? How about we give McGinn an extended run to show what he can do? Or McLean who's in the best form he's been in in years at club level and played well when he came on last night? 

100% McGinn is our man. Cairney is not in contention for me.

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

100% McGinn is our man. Cairney is not in contention for me.

There is a good player in Cairney. If we can get the best out of him he could be good for us.

The biggest disappointment for me yesterday was the amount of players out of position. I really rate Fraser but he needs to be left midfield not right wing back. Forrest needs to be right wing not upfront. Phillips is a wide player not a forward. 

I did think the midfield 3 of McGinn, McGregor and Armstrong looked good. Although I'd still like to see McTominay with 2 of those 3 rather than McDonald. 

McKenna has impressed over the 2 matches and should keep his place for the summer matches. Still not completely convinced by Hendry but I'm sure he will do okay for us. 

Griffiths has become our most important player. The options after him are a massive step down. 

10 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

There is a good player in Cairney. If we can get the best out of him he could be good for us.

The biggest disappointment for me yesterday was the amount of players out of position. I really rate Fraser but he needs to be left midfield not right wing back. Forrest needs to be right wing not upfront. Phillips is a wide player not a forward. 

I did think the midfield 3 of McGinn, McGregor and Armstrong looked good. Although I'd still like to see McTominay with 2 of those 3 rather than McDonald. 

McKenna has impressed over the 2 matches and should keep his place for the summer matches. Still not completely convinced by Hendry but I'm sure he will do okay for us. 

Griffiths has become our most important player. The options after him are a massive step down. 

Completely agree with all of this other than the Forrest comment.  He's been poor for Scotland wherever he's played, even right wing. 

Not sure I even saw Cairney warming up on Tuesday night, might have been carrying an injury.

I'd think we will to have adjust the midfield to suit the opposition, Hungary didn't have a number 10 playmaker for example, but against teams that do I would think McTominay would come in.

I thought Hendry was good actually, covered a lot of ground quickly at one point and snuffed out an attack. He also strode into midfield with the ball a couple of times going round a man or 2, can you imagine Hanley doing that?

McKenna is obviously the big find of these games for McLeish so would imagine he will keep his place which makes you wonder where Tierney will fit in.

would love to see Philips play a no 10 role with Bambi McBurnie infront of him.. just feel Philips for a big fella has great foot control and can hold and move ball.. And for the singing section the  tune for Bambi.. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2018 at 9:54 PM, Texas Pete said:

Never mind, just checked there and England will only play up here if we qualify and our game is to be played in Glasgow. 

Thats a relief. 

What will the ticket allocation be ? Not 50/50I hope.