Authoritarian Scotland? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Authoritarian Scotland?

So the Scottish Courts rules that context in a joke is irrelevant.

The state convicting "Count Dankula" for offence. Ruling the context of a joke is irrelevant and potentially jailing him. I could write reams about this, but i'll see if anyone is interested before wasting my time.

Really annoying that we used to be the spear tip of the enlightenment now we're this.

If it's a specific thread about the law and free speech around this you want then ignore this post. If it's a more general the 'worlds gone mad' sort of thing then that story was only my second favourite today, this I thought was the winner,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43519296

Some of the highlights being " However, Ben's parents - who are both lawyers - argued the decision ", " Later, he said he did not want to join an egg-and-spoon race because of a phobia of spoons."

32 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

If it's a specific thread about the law and free speech around this you want then ignore this post. If it's a more general the 'worlds gone mad' sort of thing then that story was only my second favourite today, this I thought was the winner,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43519296

Some of the highlights being " However, Ben's parents - who are both lawyers - argued the decision ", " Later, he said he did not want to join an egg-and-spoon race because of a phobia of spoons."

42 grand for that!? There's a lot of people I should be suing - could earn more money that way than doing an actual job.

People try to sue others for being complete idiots though: http://time.com/2912187/man-sues-british-airways-for-sending-him-to-grenada-instead-of-granada/ Makes you wonder why they don't get done for wasting the court's time.

It wasn't a particularly funny joke and the guy most definitely isn't a 'comedian', despite how he has tried to rebrand himself, but it seems slightly farcical that he has been found guilty and may face jail time, although I'm unsure of exactly what the chances of that really are.

He has of course since let himself down massively by surrounding and associating himself with some of the daftest c unts known to man. He's  been used by these right wing poster boys to further their vendetta and he's let them do it, he is a massive bellend, no doubt, but he shouldn't be facing jail time for this.

Edited by Mox

1 hour ago, Mox said:

It wasn't a particularly funny joke and the guy most definitely isn't a 'comedian', despite how he has tried to rebrand himself, but it seems slightly farcical that he has been found guilty and may face jail time, although I'm unsure of exactly what the chances of that really are.

He has of course since let himself down massively by surrounding and associating himself with some of the daftest c unts known to man. He's  been used by these right wing poster boys to further their vendetta and he's let them do it, he is a massive bellend, no doubt, but he shouldn't be facing jail time for this.

Exactly, when you defend free speech you're normally defending some shitty speech, it's just the way it is.

i do agree but there are legitimate reasons for some curtailing of free speech.  you can't just say anything you want.

I don't believe in actual nazis marching down streets shouting gas the jews in the name of free speech; i'm sure there's a law against that.  You're not allowed to verbally abuse people either to the extent it is threatening or a breach of the peace.

The issue is the legal system is still catching up with social media and sharing content.  It wasn't a grey area to shout gas the jews at a jew but it's a grey area when the content is shared to the extent it becomes widely seen.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, Mox said:

Pretty much. The guy seems like a massive bellend, however jailing him would be wild.

See they banned Tommy Robinson from Twitter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43572168

Folk moaning about freedom of speech in this case don't understand it. It's between you and the state, not twitter/facebook. Folk can ban you from their own property, The state just can't prosecute you. Well they are not able to. This Scottish ruling will get over-ruled eventually. If they appeal it up. Cause it's so egregiously applied.

It is pretty sad that some random judge working in Airdrie  has decided to throw out the Magnun Opus of the Western Enlightenment. I wonder if Voltaire would like to rescind his quote about Scotland and Civilisation.

16 hours ago, phart said:

See they banned Tommy Robinson from Twitter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43572168

Folk moaning about freedom of speech in this case don't understand it. It's between you and the state, not twitter/facebook. Folk can ban you from their own property, The state just can't prosecute you. Well they are not able to. This Scottish ruling will get over-ruled eventually. If they appeal it up. Cause it's so egregiously applied.

It is pretty sad that some random judge working in Airdrie  has decided to throw out the Magnun Opus of the Western Enlightenment. I wonder if Voltaire would like to rescind his quote about Scotland and Civilisation.

Robinson is effectively a businessman and this simply helps him push his product, he won't give two two f*cks as it endorses his race martyr credentials.

Edited by Larky Masher

1 hour ago, brant grebner said:

if you stick bits of wood the size of toast in your ear lobes then you lose the right to be part of society.

if you then train a wee pug dug to do anti-semitic salutes then you get all you fucking deserve

To point out how wrong your point is (imo) i'll point out to the same incident actually happening during the war against the Nazi's, no not British war hero Guy Gibson's dog called Nigger. But a Finish dog.

_50706548_010963876-1.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12139150

A Finnish dog which gave Nazi salutes so annoyed Germany's World War II government that it launched a campaign against its owner.

Tor Borg's wife had reportedly given Jackie the nickname Hitler - saying the dog's strange way of raising its paw and barking reminded her of the Fuhrer.

Newly discovered documents show Mr Borg was interrogated by the Germans on suspicion of insulting Hitler.

The Foreign Office spent three months investigating ways of bringing Mr Borg to trial for insulting Hitler, but no witnesses would come forward, the newspaper reports.

Even the literal Nazi's couldn't find a pretext to jail him, but the Scottish courts could have.

1 hour ago, brant grebner said:

if you stick bits of wood the size of toast in your ear lobes then you lose the right to be part of society.

if you then train a wee pug dug to do anti-semitic salutes then you get all you fucking deserve

Also if context is irrelevant then imagine some of your previous posts with context removed...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 9:36 PM, brant grebner said:

look at the date...

Grebnered on April fool's day.. lol Feck.

Well 800 pound fine for being offensive. Scotland led the enlightenment now it's judicial system is deciding to drag it back.

6 hours ago, phart said:

Well 800 pound fine for being offensive. Scotland led the enlightenment now it's judicial system is deciding to drag it back.

The cost of the policing etc around that circus will have been 100 times the fine I’d guess.

What the guy did was moronic, but just a bad attempt at humour that was in extremely poor taste.

14 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

The cost of the policing etc around that circus will have been 100 times the fine I’d guess.

What the guy did was moronic, but just a bad attempt at humour that was in extremely poor taste.

The state shouldn't be interfering at all. He's just a fanny who made a shit joke and put it on youtube. 

EDIT: It's not hard for me, it's the same rights for everyone, popular speech never needs defended.

This isn't a case of intolerance though. It's about a court ruling context is irrelevant therefore you can be jailed for joking. Being prosecuted by the state for what you say is the kernel of free speech.

The cartoon fails to appreciate that Popper was talking about a society with tolerance "without limit"

I'm suggesting that making a shitty joke on youtube with your pug hasn't yet reached the level we need to intercede. I doubt allowing shitty jokes will bring society down.

Edited by phart