Cricket balls - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cricket balls

Toepoke

One year bans from international and domestic cricket for Smith and Warner, 9 months for Bancroft.

Smith and Bancroft won't be considered for captaincy positions for 12 months after their bans and Warner won't be considered for a leadership position again.

I think Cricket Australia have done pretty well here, swift and reasonably severe punishments, even if there are likely to have been more than those three involved and it's an "offence" which probably happens all over cricket but rarely called out.

44 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

One year bans from international and domestic cricket for Smith and Warner, 9 months for Bancroft.

Smith and Bancroft won't be considered for captaincy positions for 12 months after their bans and Warner won't be considered for a leadership position again.

I think Cricket Australia have done pretty well here, swift and reasonably severe punishments, even if there are likely to have been more than those three involved and it's an "offence" which probably happens all over cricket but rarely called out.

Same here. Sets a standard for others to follow in any future instances. Cricket has been way too soft on transgressions in the past.

What made this case even more shocking was that it was pre-meditated. It was discussed before play began and decided on by supposedly Smith, Warner and Bancroft but I am sure more knew of it. So three of them had minutes perhaps an hour or two to change their minds or one of them to have the morals or common sense to say it was wrong and not to do it but they never. Lehmann was involved to of that I am certain hence he went from a position of him not going anywhere to CA visiting and him resigning within 24 hours.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What made this case even more shocking was that it was pre-meditated. It was discussed before play began and decided on by supposedly Smith, Warner and Bancroft but I am sure more knew of it. So three of them had minutes perhaps an hour or two to change their minds or one of them to have the morals or common sense to say it was wrong and not to do it but they never. Lehmann was involved to of that I am certain hence he went from a position of him not going anywhere to CA visiting and him resigning within 24 hours.

As some of the cricket pundits also mentioned, it seems strange that not one single bowler was involved (supposedly).

7 minutes ago, fringo said:

As some of the cricket pundits also mentioned, it seems strange that not one single bowler was involved (supposedly).

Oddly enough Mitchell Starc (form for being a nasty piece of work) misses the 4th Test due to 'injury'. Call me skeptical if you wish. Like you fringo bowlers had to have known and agreed to it or else how would they know which side of the ball had been tampered with to get reverse swing going? Also this 'leadership group' supposedly discussed it in the changing rooms. Now surely whispering group of three players in a corner of the dressing room would have drawn suspicion.

• 2 months later...