Starting Line-Up V Hungary - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting Line-Up V Hungary

Caledonian Craig

39 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

"More experienced team" to be starting tomorrow.

I don't want to dampen any spirits but I can't think of too many players who didn't start and haven't pulled out that have any more than about a handful of caps at most.

He probably just means more experienced in the sense that he won’t be starting with 5 debutants. 

I think he knows a good result is important as he’ll only get more criticism if we lose tomorrow even if he gets what he wants out of the game. 

For tomorrow, based on a number of disappointing performances on Friday, I would revert to 4-2-3-1 and go:

Archer; Hendry, Mulgrew, McKenna, Robertson; Armstrong, McGinn; Forrest, McGregor, Fraser; McBurnie.

The aim here would be use this to head towards a workable team for the qualifiers. 

The Costa Rica game was on paper an exciting formation 3-4-2-1 but the players did not work for the formation for whatever reason.  McKenna was good.  Cairney and McDonald were anonymous with substitutions improving the team when often in a friendly they weakened it.  I liked the formation idea but with 3 defenders and 2 holding midfielders we were too defensive and did not push up.  It's a shame McTominay is not playing as he didn't do much and I hoped to see more.

Same formation

McLaughlin - GK

Douglas - CH

Mulgrew - Sweeper who steps up when we are on the attack

McKenna - CH

Robertson - LWB

Forrest - RWB

McGregor - CM

McGinn - CM

Armstrong - AM

Fraser- AM

McBurnie - CF

Hopefully Ryan Fraser will get a chance to show what he can do. Pace to burn and for me a better option than the one dimensional Forrest.

Don't think the back 3 works when they play too far apart as they did in the Costa Rica match. I like the idea of the 3-5-2 but the 3 at the back need to be closer together to get any cohesion and close the space when the opposition have the ball.  

I personally don't like 3 at that back for us either. Mainly because it sacrificed another body in a forward position to carry us up the field with the ball. Largely we looked very short up top on Friday night. In terms of how the organisation should have worked defensively, I'm not sure who was supposed to be tracking the man who scored against us who jogged into the box in acres of space and had time to pick his spot.

McLeish knows a result could be important tonight, but regardless of what the score if I'd much rather see us getting closer to a system that works or indeed the right personnel in the right place that is gonna do well by us. Early days yet.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Archer

Paterson 
Hendry
McKenna
Robertson 

McGinn
Armstrong

Forrest
McGregor
Fraser 

McTominay 

not sure if McTominay is a protest player or you meant McBurnie ha, but i would go with the same as this with Mcburnie again and Mclaughin for Archer. 

3 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

not sure if McTominay is a protest player or you meant McBurnie ha, but i would go with the same as this with Mcburnie again and Mclaughin for Archer. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

McBurnie you mean. Barrie McKay aside, that’s exactly the team i would choose. 😉

Aye, McBurnie. Sorry. :lol: 

Archer

Paterson 
Hendry
McKenna
Robertson 

McGinn
Armstrong

Forrest
McGregor
Fraser 

McTominay 

Allowing for the centre forward typo, that's not far off what I'd go with although I'm not fussed which of the three keepers plays.

However, I think it'll be Mulgrew and Hendry at the back if we go to a back four as McLeish will want to see how Hendry does, having given McKenna his chance on Friday.

Archer

Paterson 
Hendry
McKenna
Robertson 

McGinn
Armstrong

Forrest
McGregor
Fraser 

McTominay 

Like this team, would like to see Hendry and McKenna playing together.  See how they are together, our new McLeish,miller, bit early for that but maybe in a year or two.

That's a strong midfield, very attacking.  Want to see this midfield lineup because they should be able to dominate game and create chances, but needs to be proved against another international side.

Why does no one seem to like cummings up top on here?  I think he has potential and is a goalscorer.  Maybe this level is what he needs to prove himself.

23 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Why does no one seem to like cummings up top on here?  I think he has potential and is a goalscorer.  Maybe this level is what he needs to prove himself.

He's scored 79 goals in his career, vast majority of them in the Championship with Hibs.

Think he's scored 1 goal in the SPFL for Rangers, the other 5 being against lower league teams in the cup.

In summary, he's not really done anything to justify a start. He's very, very luck to be in the squad IMO.

29 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's scored 79 goals in his career, vast majority of them in the Championship with Hibs.

Think he's scored 1 goal in the SPFL for Rangers, the other 5 being against lower league teams in the cup.

In summary, he's not really done anything to justify a start. He's very, very luck to be in the squad IMO.

spot on

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yeh gotta agree with this. I would start mcburnie again and Mibbe give Cummings a run out in the second half. 

47 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I agree with this, although I do think Cummings has proper striker instincts and has brief Mo Johnston-like moments. He needs to get stronger and quicker, but there may be something there. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed. 

Although I do think he’ll score goals for Rangers if he gets a decent run in the team and could end up being a decent back up for Griffiths. 

Not entirely sure why he’s in the squad this time though. I assume McLeish sees something in him and wanted a closer look.

He is only 22 years old as well and I wouldn’t write him off just because of the bad spell he had down in Nottingham. 

If he screws the nut he could turn into a decent player for us. 

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Jason Cummings has done more to merit being in the squad than Oliver McBurnie who has scored 16 goals in his whole career, 5 of which were in the Conference and 3 in League 2.

I think it just shows the dearth of top class strikers we have at the moment. 

If Griffiths plays regularly for Celtic and remains injury free then I think we’ll be OK but if he loses form or fitness we may be pumped. Let’s hope Cummings kicks on and gets a run in the Rangers team or someone else steps up. 

I can’t see McBurnie offering much. He looked like an 11 year old playing for an under 9s team on Friday night. 

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Our first game in Budapest since 1980! Mind watching that on Sportscene too, Nyilasi and Torocsik ripped us a new one.

2-1 or 3-1 wasn’t it?

Steve Archibald scored for us didn’t he?

We could be doing with him tonight.