Starting XI Costa Rica - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting XI Costa Rica

Alan

Think I read Fraser is basically injured, but is staying with the squad (at least while it's in the uk)
Can't see McLeish doing anything but a back 4 with the players he's called up, so..

McGregor
Paterson - Mulgrew - McKenna - Robertson
McTominay - McDonald
Christie - Cairney - Murphy
McBurnie

The only things that might change are the wide men, for Forrest and Phillips, but to me they fall strongly into the 'we know what they can do' category. McDonald has a lot of competition, but i think he and McTominay are so big and proficient at retaining the ball that it's bad news for quite a few of the others in the squad.

Hungary is the easier game, so i'd expect Archer and Cummings to play there maybe, and perhaps Hendry and McGinn.

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I agree but there's no point just playing to win this game. We have to find out about the new players or we'll have to blood them in the competitive games. 

Interested in your opinion on why Forrest doesn't do it for Scotland but performs for Celtic. Is it just the different systems or just the fact that the players behind are worse? 

He is asked to do more of a defensive shift for Scotland and has maybe suffered from us not having a decent right-back in the majority of games he's played.

I also don't think he's been as bad as some folk like to make out. Whilst the goals haven't been there he is still often our best outlet, gets the ball up in the pitch quickly and wins us a number of free kicks in decent areas. 

1 minute ago, PASTA Mick said:

He is asked to do more of a defensive shift for Scotland and has maybe suffered from us not having a decent right-back in the majority of games he's played.

I also don't think he's been as bad as some folk like to make out. Whilst the goals haven't been there he is still often our best outlet, gets the ball up in the pitch quickly and wins us a number of free kicks in decent areas. 

I think a lot of the Forrest criticism seems comes from his missed changes. On 21 caps now with no goals, but has had at least a handful of easy chances. At Celtic that's fine as you'll probably get a few chances a game.. for Scotland you kind of have to take the chances when they come else we'll struggle.