Starting XI Costa Rica - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting XI Costa Rica

Alan

I'd expect the most uninspiring team he could possibly pick, so i go for something like this:

Phillips as the lone striker isn't uninspiring, it's depressing.

You're right about one thing though, the team McLeish picks for this game will set the tone

Edited by davew

Interesting interview with Barry Douglas in today's Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/22/barry-douglas-interview-scotland-wolves.

Seems like a decent guy.  I haven't seem him play but is he somebody that could move to Centre Back?  If so, would he be better than what we've already got? Obviously we don't want to convert left backs to centre backs for the sake of it but worth while seeing if they can adapt.

43 minutes ago, jackhayes17 said:

McLaughlin

Hendry Mulgrew McKenna

Paterson McTominay McGinn Cairney Robertson

Armstrong

McBurnie

Suspect he will play Hanley over Hendry though and I have read he will start Kev McDonald

Expecting something similar, but I think McGregor will start in goal, and unless Hendry has really impressed him in training since his call up, I think Hanley will start tonight along side McKenna and Mulgrew.

I am not really convinced that McTorminay and McBurnie will start, but both will come on at some stage, with Ritchie and Phillips starting ahead of them.

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why are so many folk going for Forrest? Have none of you seen him play for Scotland? :blink:

I was wondering the same!

To be fair I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a switcharound at half time, especially if we find ourselves in a comfortable position from the first half - of course peformance and potential are more important than the result, but would be nice to see confidence flowing from the off.

7 minutes ago, in5omniac said:

I was wondering the same!

To be fair I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a switcharound at half time, especially if we find ourselves in a comfortable position from the first half - of course peformance and potential are more important than the result, but would be nice to see confidence flowing from the off.

Costa Rica are a good side. If we are comfortably in the lead at half time I would pleasantly very surprised. 

15 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

All about opinions.

I think it will be a tough match and we need to start with a strong team. I think Hungary will be a better game for the new caps. 

I agree but there's no point just playing to win this game. We have to find out about the new players or we'll have to blood them in the competitive games. 

Interested in your opinion on why Forrest doesn't do it for Scotland but performs for Celtic. Is it just the different systems or just the fact that the players behind are worse? 

Couple of guys predicting Phillips to start up front , surely not !  We've all seen what he can do , not much . Any of the new young players McBurnie, Cummings, McGregor  have to be better  than what I have seen of Phillips.

Also how can Armstrong start when he has only played a few minutes for Celtic recently , even when he was fit he looked like his confidence was shot after the blunder against England ?

27 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Couple of guys predicting Phillips to start up front , surely not !  We've all seen what he can do , not much . Any of the new young players McBurnie, Cummings, McGregor  have to be better  than what I have seen of Phillips.

Also how can Armstrong start when he has only played a few minutes for Celtic recently , even when he was fit he looked like his confidence was shot after the blunder against England ?

Disagree on the last paragraph given how good he was in the win in Vilnius. A stop start season to blame for Armstrong losing form and confidence.

28 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

While I would prefer it to try out McBurnie, Phillips does some what tick all the boxes of the type of striker Eck would play/sign, especially when he was at Ranger.... 6ft plus tall and lanky target man who puts himself about, though maybe comes across as something of a donkey to everyone else (a-al Prso, Thompson, Arveladze etc).... so I would not be shocked if he starts tonight.

Expect him to play it reasonably safe in first half with a token youngster or two and only make ambitious changes if we've looked solid. He'll be wanting experienced guys who can hopefully avoid embarrassing him in his first game back. I expect more radical changes once game is almost over and in the Hungary game.

29 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

McGregor

McKenna Hanley Mulgrew Robertson

Cairney McTominay Ritchie McDonald

McBurnie

22 minutes ago, in5omniac said:

Only 10?

No, he's picked Phillips as well. That's just how it'll look with him in the team.

Opinions vary as to preferred line-up, though it is unanimous nobody wants Phillips who was pathetic in prior appearances. It was disappointing to see him even in the squad, and if Eck wants to get the Tartan Army onside he cannot afford a passenger. Costa Rica are a good settled side with many caps, and Scotland has to play at a high tempo to unsettle them. In spite of lack of playing time I would like to see Armstrong for his strong running. Also Cairney has to start. Apart from that anyone but Phillips!